cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Conquering Temptation

Thomas3.20.2010
4 4 76

Just the thought of quitting smoking is enough to initiate a cascade of compelling thoughts of all the "reasons" now is not the time, "I don't know which method is best", "I am bound to fail" or the reverse - "I can quit whenever I want, I just don't want to just now!" Yada, yada, yada....

This isn't coincidence. It is caused by the brain's reaction to addiction. And we don't have to be the victim of these circumstances. 

You will often read here about using the tool - distract, distract, distract! And that's often a very good tool to use. 

Other tools that are frequently sited are:

- Using your senses - bite a lemon, eat crunchy foods, listen to soft music...

- Exposing yourself to extreme temperature - stick your head in the freezer for a minute, soak up the sun rays of summer and so on.

- Intense physical exercise

- Paced breathing

- Visual imagery meditation

- Searching for the meaning of your quit

- Prayer/spiritual meditation

- Relaxation

- Taking one minute at a time

- Seeking encouragement from family, friends, and the Ex Community

These are only a few of the mental tools you can add to your tool box. Your tool box will not look like mine because you and I are unique! One of my favorite benefits of smoking cessation is becoming more intimately in touch with myself - who I am, who I want to be, my purpose...

So pick the tools that you come across - different times may call for different tools - and keep the ones you find best for you. You may have your own ideas as well - all the better! This is your quit - own it!

You will discover the authentic you not shackled by addiction - Freedom!

Whether you are contemplating quitting, in your early days of your quit - heck, any place on the path of your quit journey, using your tools will get you through those times when life gets so hard it seems unbearable or so joyous you think "I can celebrate with a cigarette just this once!" or just plain boredom.  You and I both know that's not possible! Cigarettes are like wolves - they travel in packs! 

Get your tool box out and make it through today!

4 Comments
About the Author
63 years old. 20 year smoker. 11 Years FREE! Diagnosed with COPD. Choosing a Quality LIFE! It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. -Galatians 5:1