cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Confessions of a Parasite

martyb61
0 5 6

I have been on and off this site for a couple of years.  I have even set several 'quit dates'.  Yet, this is my first Blog post.  I was one of those 'lurkers' .... feeding off the post of others like a tick feeds off a dog's back.  So why the first post now ..... I think I get it ... smoking / nicotine is really a mental addition.  I have allowed the physical drug of nictoine to be amplified in my brain to influence and direct my thoughts, moods, and reactions.  36 years of leaning on this crutch has clouded my mind and made me dependant on that next fix.  My mind saw it as a reward, when in reality there is nothing rewarding from it.  

As an IT manager for about 250 users, I spend my days helping people with computer problems.  It can sometimes get overwhelming, and the 'tobacco' fix was my true reward.  I think I now see how that 'reward' is tainted and not worthy.  A true reward should not have to be reinforced every 30 minutes, nor should it destroy the recipient of the reward.

So I have set Aug 10th as my 'Escape' date from the lies of smoking and nicotine's control of my life and mental processes.  I now understand that cigarettes INDUCE stress and do not relieve stress.  So for the first time in the 100th attempt to quit smoking ..... I am actually looking forward to Aug 10th and the restoration of my thoughts to me, and not the nicotine. 

5 Comments
froguelady

Welcome to Ex. You got it.  I had to quit in my mind first before I quit physically. Once you become a nonsmoker within yourself, the rest will follow. I have 510 smokefree days after 54 years of smoking and you can do this.  Stay close to EX, blog instead of smoking. We will help you all the way.

stonecipher

Yes.  It is so much about "getting your head around it".  You have written a very insightful blog.  Welcome to the site and come on, August 10th!

kate8
You got it. You gotta change your mind to change your life. I smoked 36 yrs. 7 Months free now 🙂 I finally got it too 🙂
JonesCarpeDiem

IT IS 95% MENTAL.

THE NICOTINE KEEPS US COMING BACK FOR MORE BUT ALL THOSE REPETITIOUS MEMORIES DON'T LET US DO ANY DIFFERENT.

see, we get used to what we get used to and we are creatures of habit.

so why do we always pick bad habits?

you must take and allow the time to unlearn smoking. it takes about 130 days and getting through a life altering crisis or two without smoking.

pir8fan

Welcome home! I am glad that you figured it out!