cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Coming back humbled

SuzieQue
2 24 367

I'm so thankful to have the knowledge and experience to remember that I needed to come here before I did anything stupid. My quit had been super strong for 5 months. I didn't think I needed help anymore (naive). I stopped coming here. I was always appreciative of the comments and support that I received from complete strangers (thank you!!). I even told people who were wanting to quit how awesome this place was!!

Then I got into a whirlwind of a relationship.. It came fast and left even faster. I felt strong enough in my quit journey that I could have an occasional death stick.. Famous last words! I know. It was dumb, but I didn't care, I was in love... Ugh. Now my heart is broken after he broke up with me and I'm 20 days fresh into my (for real) last quit... Smoking is not an option. It is not a reward. It won't make my relationship work. I'm really hurting right now but I'm so thankful for this site.

Hope everyone is having a really great day! It's beautiful here in Minnesota!!

Peace and love  

24 Comments
djmurray

That's how we all convinced ourselves our excuses were "real," Suzie -- so sad you lost your quit, but so glad you're back.  Do you think it might help to re-read your old blogs and other blogs you thought were helpful?  Allen Carr (I read the book twice, and watched lots of his videos on YouTube early in my quit) and the other tools available here.  We are never done quitting.  We will always have that opportunistic addicted lady (or guy) in our brain saying "hey, you did it.  Now X is happening and you can have a smoke, have some fun, blah, blah, blah."  I always find it easier to say "I know who you are, and I know you'll always be here, but you really can't convince me of anything, so please go back to sleep. I don't do that anymore."  It works.

RachelMB

Suzie-

I'm glad you're back!  Congrats on being 20 days smoke-free.  Celebrate your accomplishments no matter how big or small.    Let us know how we can help.  There's always tons of support here.

Rachel

Rick_M

Suzie congrats 20 days no smoke. Looks like you have bounced back WTG girl. You are saying all the right things. There is no part time smoking for us nico addicts. Guard your quit and stay close to EX.....support really helps.

MarilynH

I'm sorry that the relationship didn't work out but I'm so glad that you are back on track with 20 precious smoke free days under your belt and counting, good for you and remember that we're all here for you and your awesome ongoing beautiful quit. SuzieQue 

Jennifer-Quit

That "just one" concept does not work with us addicts.  Congratulations on 20 days - that is a great start to a lifetime of freedom - Stay close to this site and participate!  That will take you far!

Thomas3.20.2010

Hi, Suzie! I often wonder about folks who disappear always hoping they're just happily moving on with their Lives! It's good to see that you remembered us and felt confident that you can come home any time you want or need to! 

Congrats on 20 Days! Let's walk through this journey together!

YoungAtHeart

We always keep a light burning for those who we don't still see - just in case they need to find their way back.

Glad you did!  Let us know if we can help!'

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Glad you were able to humble yourself and come back.  It sounds as if you have learned from your mistakes.  Stay close.  Congrats on 20 days free. 

bacardigirl

Congrats on 20 days!

Your relapse was not in vain if you learned a valuable lesson and I believe you have....welcome back!

Chuck-2-20-2011

Sometimes some have to make the discovery of what a single cigarette can do to our brains. It only takes a moment to become a full fledged addict once again. I lost my last quit over love, or rather the loss of a love and I had to learn that lesson myself, so there's no way I could ever fault you! 

So glad you're an EX once more. It's such a wonderful life when we can get past the addiction and as you already know. Looking forward to hearing of your renewed success. As always, we'll be here for you if you need us!! 

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

elvan

Congratulations on 20 days and welcome back!  You can do this, you already have a great start.

Ellen

gardenancy8

Glad you came back and you now have 20 awesome poison free days under you!   Feel great about that and keep moving forward!  Sounds like you learned that we can't even have the one as addicts! N.O.P.E 

Mandolinrain

So glad you came back to us and congrats on 20 days. You can do this...one day at a time. Stay closer to this site, it will help you ( we will help you). 

c2q

Hey SuzieQue‌. Congrats on 20 days into your new and improved quit. Very glad you came back to share and strengthen your journey. I look forward to celebrating 50 days with you on the Freedom Train ... and then 100 days ... and all the way to the 6% Club!  Don't forget to reset your quit clock in your quit plan. Welcome back to smoke freedom!

dwwms

Glad you came back - many, if not most of us have fallen for that "I can have one" - I've fallen for it numerous times. Even thought before on quits I could change up to cigars once in awhile and more recently that e-cigs would be okay. Always ended up back to smoking cigarettes. Good for you jumping right back into it and congratulations on 20 days! Check in whenever you need - the support is always here!

Doug

JonesCarpeDiem

I remember you. good luck

Puff-TM-Draggin

Are there any JennyQ's, or AliceQ's, or RebeccaQ?  Why is it always SuzyQ's or BarbieQ's?  And where were you yesterday when I needed a peep on the Freedom Train from Minnesota?

Getting back on topic though, welcome back.  I lost a three year quit to love, or lack thereof.  (Why is it that the gals seem to lose their quits to finding love and the guys theirs to it's loss?)  Took me much longer than you to get back on track, so Kudos to you for that.  Your confession will be testimony to every other fresh-quit Exer whose cravings attempt to convince them that they've proven they're in control and can moderate their addiction.  Moderating an addiction is an oxymoron.  The definition of the later excludes the former.  I know it.  You know it.  A lot of our fellow Exer's know it too.  Now that we've learned that lesson ...

Onward to Freedom ... !!!

N.O.P.E. 

c2q

Cause "oh martha-q" just don't carry the beat.

ccr- suzie q

Puff-TM-Draggin

Something about that picture makes me wanna kiss that umbrella.

petbo5

I hear that!! After a year quit, I spontaneously hooked up with the ex for a one nighter, just for old times sake, and the cigarette that followed, he moved on and the cigarette moved in.  N.O.P.E has to be my motto today. (25 days so far).  Congratulations on the new quit

Puff-TM-Draggin

That's what he said.

YoungAtHeart

MY question - do people actually PAY to get a shutterstock image without their crap across it?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Puff-TM-Draggin

They do.

elvan

NOPE got me through some really tough times at the beginning of my quit and "I don't do that any more" was a great reminder along with "Keep them away from your face."  They never did anything FOR us but they sure did a lot TO us.  I am living proof of that and if I ever smoke one puff, I sincerely hope that my head immediately explodes.  I have "memories" of smoking but no craves,  I HATED smoking for a long time before I was able to quit successfully.  This site, the education, the support, the humor, and the love I got from it and continue to get from it are my life's blood.  

Welcome back SuzieQue‌ and petbo5‌ too, hang on, we are all here to help you in any way that we can!

Ellen