cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Coming Up to My Fifth Year Without One Puff

marybelle
0 7 16

March 20th will be a mile stone I did not believe I would achieve five years ago, not without falling and stumbling off my quit.

The path to my quit was a long 39 years of smoking abd at least six quits which I quit before my March 20, 2009 quit date. Boy was it hard to start this quit but once started I was a firmly committed quitter! I knew I had to be in order to overcome the addiction and habit.

Along my quit path I "lost" many people I had considered friends. This was the most difficult lessons I was confronted with. Friends support friends. Be so, it was meant to be - I cleaned "house" and gained new friends along the way... You know - those who did support my good efforts and achievements.

Health issues of my entire family, including my pets, and that of my own were some of my foundation of my quit. I had been diagnoised with emphyzema the year before and I was facing major dental reconstruction at the time. My two sons and our Romeo, a sweet older dog were coming down with all sorts of health issues. 

My quit was joined by my eldest son (he has also remained loyal to his quit). We started by changing our habits. Not smoking in the house, garage and car. Not smoking our "favorite/most needed" cigarettes At our usual times - mine were with my first cup of coffee and after every meal. We wore the patch from start to finish as directed on the package for the most part. If we forgot to put apatch on more than three times during each of thethree step process we went to the next level.

Weight gain was a concern. Both my son and I gained an extra 50 pounds - we have been told plenty that this wasn't too bad but just the same we worked at not gaining what we could have. I am now down to the last 5 pounds to loose, my son has a bit more.

A year ago I was given the frightful news of having COPD. All this "trama" of quitting for COPD - thanks a bunch... I am grateful for having quit, thankful for having been such a committed quitter, and, blessed with being able to walk 2 miles on most days and not needing oxygen therapy.

Best advise I can offer:  

quit when you are ready for the commitment; get a good support networt;  know your triggers; stay loyal to your quit; remember you are human; give yourself credit  and give your support to others.

NOT ONE PUFF!

7 Comments