cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Comfortable in my skin....

cody1976
0 12 59

So after 425 days I think I have finally settled in to being a NON smoker. Throughout my life I have wondered how people see me in the grand scheme of things and wondered even more about whether or not the way I see myself is close to the way I am perceived by my peers. As I've gotten  older I've realized that my self perception is more important than what other's think of me simply because I am the only one who knows my entire story inside and out.Only I know what makes me want to grab a cigarette, Only I know how I can fight off my urges, and Only I know that ultimately no one can "make" me do anything and that it will be a choice that will affect me the rest of my life for better or worse.

Please forgive the ramblings of a not so old man. Boredom sets in and I decided to figure out how many days I've been alive since June 11, 2014 will make my 38th trip around the sun. Makes me feel a little worse about myself. Here is what I came up with:

5900 days without a cigarette... this includes from day 1 to year 15 + the 425 days of my quit

7970 days killing myself by smoking.... this includes years 15 to 38 - the 425 days of my quit

Was it a smart thing to do... probably not. Was it something that will bother me for a while.... probably not

Will it encourage me to continue my quit.... probably not that either. So why did I do it? Here's your answer:

I did it because for 16 years of my life I have been smoke free and for 21 years i have smoked cigarrettes. I have smoked for more than half of my existence on this earth. I am also on a 425 day streak of being able to beat the odds and teach my kids and provide an example for anyone who encounters me that if you just fight for what you want it can be done. If you just believe in yourself more than those around you, if you find that inner strength to tell yourself that you matter most in your life, if you become comfortable in your skin with who you were, who you are, and who you want to be.....

Impossible is nothing.

12 Comments
Barbara145

Congratulations on 425 days.  You are a member in good standing of the 6% Club.  You remind all of us we can do it.

Storm.3.1.14

EXCELLENT POST, CODY! Keep rockin' your quit, your way. It's workin'!

And Happy (early) 38th Orbit!

linda.mustafa

Another exellent blog Cody, you are truly inspirational , congratulation 🙂

kristine5-27-14

I love number crunching. It really does provide perspective! Congrats on 425 days and the pride that comes with it! 🙂

luxie

Great job on 425 days, that number seems so far away for me.

I too smoke for most of my life, Thanks for leading by example Cody 

Marion

linda258

We are and shall always be what WE preceive ourselves to be.... regardless of how we think others see us .... so happy that you preceive yourself as a non smoker... and if you believe this ... well, then it is so.

freeneasy

Great job on your quit and may you enjoy many more smoke free orbits!

cody1976

Thanks to all of you for your comments, Luxie if you need avice or anything let me know i'll help best I can. Also i've blogged at some point through the entire quit so feel free to look back on my older blogs you may find something useful you may not. Biggest thing to remember in yur quit is that you do have a choice. you can choose to smoke or you can choose not to smoke. the urges do go away eventually. I will help you in anyway possible to reach 400 days. Lean on me when your not strong and all that stuff lol. 

Breathe in Breathe out and put one foot in front of the other. You will make it to a thousand days if you fight for your quit

msgardengirl320

I love this encouraging blog, Cody. I needed that recently I have not been feeling real good about myself. & I need to believe in myself more. I do have faith though that I will not ever smoke again. Although I still struggle at times..

brenda-again

Great blog.  Congratulations on your rocking quit.  My quit date is June 11, 2014 on my son's birthday.  

cody1976
Brenda - Since your quit is next wednesday I'll give you something to think over for the next few days ... hopefully it will help: The sooner you understand the stress that makes you reach for your smokes will be there without your smokes....The easier your quit will be. What I mean by this is the "stress" or whatever is just an excuse to smoke. All you do by smoking is delay your decision. It took me 45 days to figure that out, after that it was pretty smooth sailing. Peace Love & Sandy feet Summer is here! Soak up the sun and live easy.
Ladybug--7-3-12

A 13 year old British girl (Athena Orchard) who was wise beyond her tender years passed recently (on 5-28-14).  She left behind numerous thoughts/messages that she had written on the back of a mirror in her bedroom which was found by her family.  Some quotes from her re "perceptions" of herself by others:

"You know my name, not my story."  "Only I can judge me."  "Don't be quick to judge me; you only see what I choose to show you --- you don't know the truth."  "This is my life not yours so don't worry about what I do.

Nice blog & wonderful quit!  Onward --       Patty d704