cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Cold Turkey....OMG!

shannon52
1 13 32

I decided to quit smoking on (06/16) and i have not had a cig since.....Omg..Its been a hard long journey and I'm still fighting for my goal.  I have been smoking for 15 years and never thought i would need or want to quit, but here i am. I have a support system at home but most times (really hard ones) i feel like they dont understand.  I feel if you havent been through it how can you possibly understand.  I have been freaking out, having my girlfriend go online to search sites to find out how long nicotine stays in the body, ways to get it out faster, and last but not least  when will this all end......OMG OMG OMG!!!  I set a goal to quit by the 30th of this month......DONE!!!  Now surpassing the 30th day is OMG OMG OMG!!!  My next goal is an entire month smoke free....Wish me luck...ttyl.

YOGURT YOGURT YOGURT!!!  Thats my GREAT WHITE BUFFALO!  what im missing in nicotine i make upin calcium....WTF!  see how serious this is?  Do ya?!?!?!    Do ya?!?!?!.....again (breathe)wish me luck...

ps tried to convince my girlfriend cigars werent as bad and they had no nicotine.....her reply, "Good luck with trying to convince yourself of that"

OK...(inhale exhale....woooosaaa!) well got over that craving.

13 Comments
Sootie

Welcome Shannon---You've made it over a week nicotine free---you should be proud. Stay Strong and talk to us---we are all here for each other and WE know what you are going through.

Just a question on your blog because I am curious---you wrote you never thought you would have to or want to quit. Can I ask why? I mean, I am REALLY interested--there is so much out there about cigarette smoking. I can (OF COURSE) understand someone smoking---we're addicted. But, I am just really curious about someone in this day and age who didn't think they would have to or want to quit.

Anyway--just wondering. Again, WELCOME---glad you are here.

shannon52

the pleasantries of it....family members who have smoked and lived for 80-100 years.  I just really felt no reason to be without it. hope that helps you better understand where im coming from.

Bonnie11.3.2009

Good for you!  Many of us need the support that only comes from other ex-=smokers, you're right, non-smokers don't understand, they were never addicted to nicotine.  In the same way, I don't understand the needs of an ex heroine addict.  That's why support groups work so well.  And this one is just what you need!  Read thru the blogs and comments and meet some of the members.  We all share a lot of things in common.  When you see a comment you like, click on the person's picture, and read their page.  Their previous blogs will be on the righ side of the page.

Most of us aspire to a "happy" quit, meaning we've made a decsion to not view this life changing event as "hard" and "the hardest thing I ever did", but rather, the best decsion I ever made and deceiding to be happy about it. 

Congratulations on what you have achieved and the future you are envisioning!

MissiAnn

Welcome! I'm glad to hear that you quit! For me things were a whole lot better after the second week. I'm on day 30 now. And I feel great!

dj_15

well with this being 14  days the rest should get easier but im on day 6 so cant say for sure but welcome to the site

tracy51

My advice...stop focusing on the fact that your not smoking, whether you want a cigarette or not....that just makes it harder...when you feel that way, focus on the positive aspects of not smoking and how happy you are to be free from your addicition...do something that takes your focus off of it...watch a movie, read, workout...but don't call a friend or family member and talk about smoking and what your feeling or going through...that just keeps it at the forefront of your conscious mind....It will get easier every day....so just focus on one day (or one hour) at a time....don't worry about tomorrow, or day 30, 60 or a year....that time will come regardless....celebrate your daily victories!  You will be fine and all of this that you are going through will be worth it!

mare5

I'm glad to hear your girlfriend isn't buying into you denial. Denial is what kept smoking for so long. Keep reminding yourself ~ I don't smoke anymore. Stopping an addiction isn't always easy. Keep fighting the good fight! You're worth it!

Thomas3.20.2010

There is some great advice already!  This says that maybe if you knew more about addiction you might adjust your perspective a bit and realize that a successful QUIT has Nothing to do with luck at all - or stress levels or events! If you continue to read about people who have successfully QUIT like Karen today you'll see that great information and support help make a QUIT possible but bottom line it takes FOCUS and DETERMINATION!!! You OWN your QUIT! You hold the key so it's up to you to make the QUIT work! Make a Decision to QUIT and RESPECT YOURSELF enough to HONOR that decision! That is what it is about! And as Bonnie pointed out find ways to make your QUIT a HAPPY one so you don't feel deprived! WELCOME and MY VERY BEST WISHES! My name is Thomas and I have 102 DAYS QUIT and counting.....

Sootie

Thanks for answering me Shannon. I do understand what you meant--- I think as you move along in your quit you will find as many of us did that smoking isn't really pleasant...we all THOUGHT it was---don't get me wrong!!! But, in reality, we were tricked by the addiction. Also, yes, I guess we all can come up with someone who smoked and lived a long time.  AND---I guess we all know a young tragic death also. 

In any case---I'm glad you have quit. You will be amazed at how great it is to be an EX! I wouldn't want you to miss it.

Everyone on here gave you good advice---mine--just don't do it---don't smoke. Whenever you feel like it, put it off for a minute, an hour, until you clean your closet or run to the store or WHATEVER. Delay, delay and divert. AND stay with us. Talking to people on  here got me through many bad moments.

kenzv

Just as a precaution for you cigars do contain nicotine. Some contain up to a pack of cigarettes worth of nicotine in just one cigar

marlee2

LoL  Great job emoting here, I know exactly what sort of jacked up wired desperation you are portraying.  I was feeling very OMG OMG OMG earlier today, which is actually what led me back to this site.  

Ya know, since I quit, seeing someone smoking a cig on TV or a movie hasn't made me want one nearly as much as watching someone smoke a cigar... all that thick smoke just swirling around them and they look so freakin' CONTENTED I JUST WANT TO CHOKE THEM AND SMOKE THEIR CIGAR!

But... you're doing awesome... just keep moving along!

hwc

These helped me a lot in quitting cold turkey. You  can listen online or download them to iTunes or an MP3 player. Free.

http://whyquit.com/joel/mp3/listen.html

brenda61

Congrats on your decision