cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Celebrating 7 years

Leenie
1 11 147

I celebrated my seven years smoke-free anniversary in May.  For any of you struggling with a new quit - I was at that point once too and the thought of getting to the one year mark seemed almost unatainable at times, but it's not.  It's really just promising yourself that you won't take a single puff no matter what and no matter what it takes.  I had to tell myself that no matter how bad I felt, I wouldn't do that thing.  No matter how crabby or fuzzy-brained, or how many pounds I gained or how often I experienced a few sleepless nights, I just wouldn't give in to the nicotine pull.  Just come here and talk to your friends and get the strength you need from caring people who share your journey.  And make sure you drink plenty of water, eat well and exercise.  It all helps.

Happy days are ahead for you.  I promise!  Best wishes on the journey!

Leenie

11 Comments
shashort

Wow congratulations on 7 years of feedom.  Whew some of your descriptions sounds just like me at the moment, the fuzzy brain and feeling discabobulated at times. Oh yeah and sleep still working on what that means lol  Thanks so much for your encouragement. Started day66 today.  Have come long way and still ways to go.  Thanks seeing you made 7 years gives me hope.

Sharon

Leenie

Congratulations on 66 days, Sharon! You're going through the really rough waters of your quit (well, the first 3 weeks or so are the REALLY rough ones, don't you think?), but you will get to a point when you forget how it felt during these first months. Imagine that!  Are you doing some walking, yoga or other gentle moving?  I think that helps with the sleeping issues.  Also, the caffeine intake.  Caffeine reminded me too much of the accompanying smoke, so I started using tea and herb teas.   But again, just hang on tight to your quit.  That's the most important thing right now.  You are doing great!  

Leenie

plug66

wtg on 7 years, 64 days here and some days are a major struggle, but then you already know that.  i am looking forward to the day when smoking was a thing of the past....keep marching on

JonesCarpeDiem

BIG Congratulations on 7 years!

KMC56

Awesome congrats on 7 years!!!!!  

YoungAtHeart

That's a lot of NOPE days!  Congratulations, and thanks for coming back to remind us that it IS possible to travel beyond the initial journey!

Nancy

Daniela2016

Thank you Leenie for stopping by! It is hearing from people like you that packed so many DOF, we, the newbies are getting our hopes to follow in your paths.

You are telling us, look at me I have done it, and you can too, and thank you for that!

Enjoy your freedom, it is your reward for a job well done!

Daniela

Leenie

Hi Daniela!  Thanks!  I don't stop by here much anymore, but it's a site I am very grateful for. It looks like your quit is 4 months old?  Congratulations on that!  I think it's just the ol' putting one foot in front of the other and doing what you have to do to stay free of the nicotine hook that works - at least for me.   In addition to the support from my friends on here (three of us stay in touch these many years after our initial quits), that one little video on how addiction affects your brain - the one narrated by Dr. Hurt - was a breakthrough for me.  I hope you are starting to enjoy your quit.  With every day you stay free, you'll get much stronger in the quit until the day comes that you forget you ever smoked.  You just don't think about it.  Best wishes on your journey!

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 7 yrs and for such an inspiring blog.  I am in favor of no matter what.  No matter what has kept me free for 541 days.  

Mike.n.Atlanta

Huge congratulations on your seven years of freedom Leenie!

Keep on keepin on,

MarilynH

A huge super duper congratulations on your awesome 7 precious years of smoke free living and counting WTG, yay, yay, yay and yay again, you totally rock! 

About the Author
Born in S. California and raised there and in Arizona, I moved to the Midwest with my ex and just haven't moved back. I started life in nurses training, though didn't finish (that's where I started smoking - I had a roommate who smoked and hospital cafeteria food helped pack on the "freshman 15" so I decided to stop eating soda crackers to deal with the very real stress and started smoking. The nurses' and doctors' dining hall where we ate our meals was smoke-filled - everyone seemed to be smoking in the '60's.