cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Can due this

kyle32
0 11 16

Well my 1st day will start on 10/01/2014 which is the next day i have to go back to work. Its going to be really hard to not smoke due to the type of work i am in dealing with other people. I work in a jail which i am a supervisor so the stress levels go up more but im going to due this for my daughter she will be my strenght through this

11 Comments
Deena-A-Yenni

Try drinking a glass of cool water when the urge or memory of smoking hits you.  It has worked for me and many others.  When you are done with the water the memory is gone.

Jennifer-Quit

Best wishes to you!  Read and educate yourself about this addiction.  It is easier to fight the urges when you understand the addiction. I am sure there will be many of the elders come along with lots of good advise and reading recommendations for you.

Junior7

Welcome!  You can do this! 

annb
Read up on this addiction and you will find that smoking actually increases our stress. Believe it or not you actually will get calmer from quitting!
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

As you do the recommended readings, you will learn that smoking doesn't ease stress, it CAUSES it!  Don't be lining up your excuses to fail - you CAN do this!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

Stay close to us here; ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way.

Nancy

Giulia

With a "can do" attitude you will go far.  Everybody is under stress.  Don't let your addictive brain lie to you and tell you you need a smoke to relieve it.  Ain't so.  Stick around.  Read much.  You'll learn to see an excuse for what it is.  Although a supervisor, you are as much behind bars with your slavery to smoking as the inmates.  Knowledge, practice and perseverance will open the doors to your freedom.  Work hard and have heart!

JonesCarpeDiem

Those times at work when you are stressed have built an expectation in your mind that that is what must happen.

recognize it and flip the switch with a new thought.

freeneasy

Congrats on your decision-remember even though you have a tough job, your job can't make you smoke. Quitting is not easy but it's doable ,millions of people have quit and so can you! Do it for your daughter but do it for you too!

Thomas3.20.2010

Yes, YOU can do this! But you have to begin to recognize that you are doing it for yourself, too! 

As for stress, ...well maybe this will help:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2014/09/25/anxiety

vsmith85

I have a high stress life and one piece of advice I've been given is that cigarettes don't releave stress, they simply feed the adiction.  Cigarettes raise your blood pressure, so really how could that help with stress? Day 2 was personally my worst day, but it got better. Tomorrow will be exactly 1 week for me and I can tell you, if I can do it so can you. I've always felt I've been a very weak willed person. You have to do this for yourself as much as your daughter. This is a great community and it's really helped me along all week. 

Strudel

Read, read, read! I like the free course at - http://quitsmokingonline.com/ and Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" -http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Welcome to the site! You Can do this!