cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

COPD

dove51
0 10 19

I am new to this site. Developed bronchitis 2 wks ago, didn't get better with meds and had to return to the MD. He then told me i likely have onset of COPD. I have smoked for 40yrs. Most of my life. I have started Chantix. Thought about waiting a while but I think it may be a good idea to quit while this illness is fresh on my mind. I was very sick, not hospitalized but I developed some shortness of breath and an awful productive cough. had to be on Prednisone,which is not pleasant, to get better. I don't want to be that sick again. Don't want to be on oxygen and inhalers to breath. My quit date is Oct 25. I feel more motivated than i have in the past. I found in the past that the first 2 wks aren't too bad for me but after that the will power weakens. I pray i am strong enough and hope this site will help.

Are there any chats on this site? for instant support during my weak moments.

10 Comments
basketcase2

You know, Dove, chat is one thing I don't think we have on here.....at least I haven't found it.  But don't worry, there are several who hang pretty tight to the sight.  I don't think I've ever had to wait long for someone to comment on a blog, especially when it's an obvious struggle.  Welcome, you're in the right place.

Lisa

hwc

The trick is to not rely on "willpower" to deprive yourself of something that you think you enjoy. Instead, use each day to retrain your brain and change the way you think about smoking and living as a nicotiine junkie. If you use each day to peel away the false beliefs that keep us trapped, you will lose your desire to smoke and be motivated by a desire for freedom from the ball 'n chain you've been dragging around.

lilmom88

welcome, there is always someone on here to chat with you. Usually once you have posted a blog, someone will respond almost instantly. There are some very good videos you can watch the Dr Hunt has on here. Also, read some of the other peoples blogs and see how they are feeling and coping with things. This is my last day to smoke, tomorrow I start a smoke free day. I am going to use the patch. I have tried chantex and was working good for me until I developed a terrible itching sensation and the dr told me to stop using it cuz it was a reaction. That was almos four years ago. Please read my story and see that I have smoked for 42 yrs. I also know about prednisone because I am clinically dependent on it and have to take it for the rest of my life. I have just gotten over a battle with pneumonia so this stop smoking has got to happen. Please count me as a friend if you wish and we can help each other get through this together. There are many good people on here that have been through what we are going through and just reach out and they will be there. Keep in touch.

Yaya2.6.10

Hooray for your decision to Quit.  There are many of us oldies here that will offer support.  We don't have IM, but I'm amazed at how quickly replies come in.  There are some 800 numbers where you can instant support.  I don't have them handy, but I'll bet someone will supply them.  Read Allen Carr and dispel the myth about willpower.  It helped me a bunch when I got over feeling weak with no will power.  Welcome

Strudel

Dove - So glad you made it to the blogs! Welcome to the site. Congratulations on your decision to quit! I would recommend you hang out here for support. As the folks above said - it usually doesn't take long for someone to respond when you put a message up here.

You can read blogs, blog yourself, and also follow advice given by members here. I quit after 40 years - so you can do this! I have been quit for over 4 months and I feel great!!

Everyone has a different approach to quitting. I read at www.quitsmokingonline.com  and Allen Carr's book ("The Easy Way..."). Plus you can go to the home pages of members HWC - click on HWC's name under his comment above - he has loads of links and information. Read, read, read! You can also click on anyone's name and go thier page and read their story and their previous blogs.

maggie_8-1-2010

Hello and welcome Dove!  I am always amazed at how quickly someone repsonds to a blog reaching out for serious help. This is such a great site. Ive tried to quit so many times in the past but with no support. I found the uitsmokingonline site most helpful for my quit. It offers a very positive approach to quitting that many here have found so useful. Pleawse do check out the Ex steps - that also was very helpful to me. Read, read and then read some more!  The more you know the more likely your success.  Come to the blogs often. You CAN do this and we are here to help!

Maggie (80 very happy smoke free days!)

kat72

Dove, welcome to this site. Your story sounds like mine. Shortness of breath and the coughing made me not smoke. I really couldn't. It was too painful. I was scared for the first time in my life that if I continued to smoke, I was going to die. I have been smoke free for 18 days now. I am on the patch and there are times (especially when you start to feel better) when I wanted to smoke. What keeps me from my quit is I dont ever want to feel that sick again. I now have control of my breathing and I do not cough at night  I dont smell like crap!. You can do this!!! Keep in touch, let us know how you are doing. Kat 

brenda61

Hi Welcome Dove. Love the name.  My name is Brenda.  I have copd that was diagnosed in March of this year. My damage is mild right now.  The time to quit is definitely now.  Please don't wait.  We have others here with copd.  I feel so much better and stronger since I quit.  I am now at 121 Days.  You can do this.

jaime11

Welcome Dove, you have come to the right place.  There are people here that are very caring and helpful. 

Thomas3.20.2010

Hi Dove! My name is Thomas and I also have COPD! I agree with Brenda - the time to quit is RIGHT NOW! I left you a message in that little red envelope up on the very right hand top of your screen next to the search window! Click on it and it will tell you more! WELCOME!