cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

CALLING ALL ELDERS - ELDERS LIST

Giulia
0 39 362

OK, I'm going to try to put together an Elder's List for newbies.  And since there is no real definition for an "Elder" I'm gong to arbitrarily define it as one who has a one year quit under their belts and who is still periodically active.

So if you read this and you have a one year quit (or are about to - within a week [another totally arbitrary figure]), please put your name here.  The sole purpose of this is to have a place newbies can go when we tell them to check out the Elder's pages and blogs.  Once it's completed whomever is interested can put the link up on their page and point the newbies to it.  If you all think this is a BAD idea, do let me know.  Also, since not everybody reads the blogs daily - if you have your own list of Elders, or suggestions of Elders,  pass it on here.  It's easy enough to remove the dupes. 

Something just occured to me - this just might give those who aren't Elders, by the 6% definition, the impetus to KEEP ON!

39 Comments
Deena-A-Yenni

Love it!!

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Stellar idea Big "G"

xoxo

Jackie

lindan_7-14-10

Linda N. I celebrate my 4th FREEDOM year tomorrow, I also am turning 65 yrs young......YAY ME♥

stonecipher

Geesh.  I guess I am an "elder" now.

I did get the senior discount without asking for it the other day. 

Now it is official. 

Great idea, Guila.  I'm in.

Stonecipher.  Quit date 5-8-2012

JonesCarpeDiem

altered older elder here occasionally

kencman

Kencman - 6/25/13

Strudel

Great idea - I'm in! 

ShawnP

2 yrs 3 mth for me 

jeanne-06.03.13

Jeanne 06.03.13

Thanks for collecting the information. 

moody_9-18-13

I love our Elders! I will be one in September!  I love helping the newbies learn how to quit successfully. Love and many hugs, G. 

pir8fan

I like to think of myself as a younger elder! But, I could be an older elder, and just don't want to face it until I am more elderly!

Either way I am happy to be part of the list! Great idea!

sparky26

This is a great idea !

brenda-again

Thomas3.20.2010

4 Years 4 Months for me, G. I hope I can add a little something to the mix!

Giulia

Wow - what an eye opening experience THIS has been.  I've just gone through the first 20 pages of the members here and pulled out the following (plus some others from..wherever)...  If I missed anybody - forgive me!   I'm not able to see certain qjuit counters, so if I haven't put in a quit date - feel free!  This kind of blew me away with delight.  The following partial (I'm sure) list is HUGE.  Don't be upset or hurt if your name is farther down or whatever -  it's just a list.  And it's quite an extraordinary list to my mind.  These are all members on here who are active (in that they have posted within the past year) and ALL in the 6% club.  This shows MAGNIFICENTLY how quitting IS MORE THAN  POSSIBLE!   If your name, quit date and llnk isn't  on here - PUT IT HERE!

Now - how do you all suggest I organize this?  Most active?  Longest quit?  By their EX user number?   Alphabetical?  Leave it alone? (I'm hoping you'll  say the latter, because to try to organize this will be a BEAR!  Obviously members will point newbies to other members of their choice, so I don't really see a need to put this in any order in particular.  Anybody who has a one year quit is worth a visit to their page and blogs.  What do you think?  Oh and if I've put someone here by mistake who relapsed please let me know and I'll remove them.  

==================== 

Giulia

PS:  I'm hoping this will be a list that is added TO rather than deleted by those who relapse.  This blog will not be the actual list.  I'll put up a final one for that purpose which people can add to when they get to the 6% club. Anybody with any suggestions as to how often to publish this blog (i.e. re-print it)  and/or keep it fresh - let me know.  Quarterly perhaps?  Suggestions welcome...

JRC

Here are a few additional Exers that came to help me on some of my earlier blogs.

Cory 3-10-13

Connie 1-24-12

Kathy Ryz7-1-13

jooch

Ninepatch 7-27-12

Think the list is a great idea. Thanks!

cheyenne7

Don't forget to put yourself on the list : )

smorgy8513

G.....You are amazing to do this!      I think updating quarterly would be great!       I'm looking forward to being on this list when I hit my 1 year on 8/5/14!      There are 16 (I think) of us that are hitting this list within the next couple of months.

I know it would be alot of work but having them by their quit date would be great.      If someone would come forward and volunteer to do that........otherwise I will work on it after our family is through our loss.      So, in a couple of weeks.

Let's see who comes forward to help.

I haven't seen several of these people lately so maybe when we have the list a message should be sent out to check how recent they've been active.

Anyway......you are an amazing, active, strong, loving and supportive member here.     Yes, I agree with Cheyenne......get yourself on the list!

Sharon 343 DOF

Ms.J_11-10-2013

I can help you organize the list Big G.... Just let me know what you want me to do!!!!!!!!!

Jackie

marilyn_marmac

Smart! Not only does it give new people a feel for who's-who, a "by quit date" list gives all of us a goal and the reassurance that it can be done if we stick to the path!

freeneasy

If this ain't an incentive to not relapse, I don't know what is.

Giulia

Here are some more.

======================== 

Cory 3/10/13  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/cory-quit-3-10-13

Kathy Ryz  7/1/13  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/kathy_ryz_quit_date_7-1-13

Jooch 1/16/13 ?  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/jooch

Ninepatch 7-27-12 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/ninepatch_7_27_12

Marcie 4/4/11 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/marcie_free_since_4-4-11

Bonnie  11/3/09  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/bonnie11.3.2009

=========================== 

What do you all think about having a separate, non-active Elder's List?  Obviously there's a lot of wisdom to be had from the blogs of those who had over a year quit when last we saw them, but if they aren't active?  My thinking was only to include those Elders who are "active" in the sense they have posted something in the last 365 days.  If we get into inactive Elders, do we add those who have passed away?     Ideas?  
Giulia

I've been thinking that putting it in alphabetical order will be easiest - for me anyway.  Also it will be easier to direct someone to a particular Elder's page by name rather than quit date. (Sharon, if you want to organize a list by quit date - feel free!)

Legend
Giulia

Gotcha! 

Connie55

Always willing to help a newbie. I am still here as well. Quit date 1-24-12

Giulia

Thanks for letting me know!  Got you on the list. 

Julia_Amy

Hi Giulia!  I am less active than I want to be and will be soon.  I'm planning on retiring in a couple of months.  I plan to go back to school and do other things but I intend to control my schedule and make more time for things that are important to me.  Become an Ex is one of those things!  Thank you for you continued assistance to people who need you to make it to the other side.... like me six years ago.  Julia Amy.

Giulia

Julia_Amy   Well goodie!  Can't wait to see you more active on here.  You're on the /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/02/22/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016  and when you become active I'll put a smilie face next to your name.  That way people will know you're here to support on a regular basis.  Thanks for letting me know!

Magstoyou

Magstoyou- 7-15-2013

JonesCarpeDiem

the first one on your list went back to smoking  quite awhile ago

iaviksfan

WOW! and elder....... Yes, Yes I am.... and so very proud of still being smoke free. Its been one heck of a past year for me. And I could have started smoking cigarettes again very easy.  I hung on to my quit instead.

Hope everyone is well, Miss my blog days and all your encouragement.

Have a great day!

Greg

elvan

iaviksfan‌ Good to hear from you, so proud of you!

jeanne-06.03.13

Going strong since 06.03.13.  One of the best decisions ever!  

bonniebee

I have 2 years and still find it hard to think of myself as an elder with you and so many other wiser Elders ahead of me !

bonniebee

The first one  on the list Linden posted a comment above saying she has four years unless Giulia already removed it .

Giulia

JonesCarpeDiem‌ I believe I have removed the person to whom you were referring.

JonesCarpeDiem

Well now you did it!

About the Author
Member since MAY 2008. I quit smoking March 1, 2006. I smoked a pack and a half a day for about 35 years. What did it take to get me smoke free? Perseverance, a promise not to smoke, and a willingness to be uncomfortable for as long as it took to get me to where I am today. I am an Ex but I have not forgotten the initial difficult journey of this rite of passage. That's one of the things that's keeping me proudly smoke free. I don't want to ever have another Day 1 again. You too can achieve your goal of being finally free forever. Change your mind, change your habits, alter your focus, release the myths you hold about smoking. And above all - keep your sense of hewmer. DAY WON - NEVER ANOTHER DAY ONE. If you still want one - you're still vulnerable. Protect your quit!