cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

But who's counting?

iskander28
0 5 63

If you're keeping track, you'll remember that I gained 4.5 pounds in three days. Lest you think I'm some weight obsessed anorexic teenager from the OC, I'm not. I am a 34 year old 5'7 gay man living in San Francisco, where a nice chunky build like mine is valued in some communities. So it isn't from vanity, but the fact that my blood pressure was shooting up, my allergies were becoming chronic and my asthma was becoming unmanageable.

Yes, the BP, the asthma, the allergies, the obesity, I smoked through it all. Including chrnoic strep infections that forced me to have my tonsils removed at the tender young age of 27, at least once I emerged from the fentanyl fog that permitted me to be a perfectly content non-smoker. Sadly I was also nearly catatonic, but it was the only non-smoking trip I've taken that didn't end in tears. 

In any case, when I complain about 4.5 pounds it's because I started this quit at 208 lbs. That's down from 240 almost two years ago and I'm worried more about the extra pounds tempting me to smoke rather than the fact that they'll make me fat.

Well, finally some good news today. My appetite seems to be leveling off. Yesterday there wasn't enough food to fill the void and today I managed to have my usual menu and just one package of Jordan almonds as a snack. I'm sure I'll find another snack before bedtime, but I got in my exercise and didn't really eat any more than I usualy do, pre-quit that is.

I remember that during previous quits, my appetite seemed to be insatiable for days and days. I think the difference this time, is that I'm blogging and journaling about the experience and I'm much more sensitive to the changes in my body, and in some ways I'm giving them room to be. I'm indulging my cravings, except for those of the tobacco variety, within reason. Day one I ate everything any time. Day two, was pretty much like day one even though that wasn't really according to the plan. But as my cigarette cravings have subsided, so have my food cravings.

Today I had far fewer thoughts about having a smoke and correspondingly fewer thoughts about having a snickers. Sadly, with my cravings and my appetite receding they seem to have taken my impulse control with them. Like posting on facebook in Spanish. Now I do consider myself a Spanish speaker, but I am by no means bilingual having mastered only three tenses out of the, oh, I don't know 147 that Spanish seems to have. (I know they have 14 and a few others depending on whose counting, but it feels like 147 sometimes.)

I feel, not moody exactly, but needy. I seem to need something from the people in my life, but I never know what it is I want from them. Which has made for some unpleasant and disjointed interactions today made worse because a few of them were mediated via text or facebook.

And if you've read this far, then you know I'm suffering from a severe case of logorrhoea. It's not unusual for me to be verbose, but this is ridiculous. I would like to say thank you again to those of you that have been commenting on my blog. The support offered by everyone on the site is helping to ameliorate some of that neediness that I'm feeling. I'd hate to think how much worse I'd be if it weren't for you all.

5 Comments
maggie_8-1-2010

Thanks for clearing that up!  Keep up the quit!

shaytyler187

I'ts fine to feel needy. The thing is it's all baby steps and even if it takes years that's fine too. The point is you have a wonderful intelligence. You know what you have to do! If you read my blog you'll see that I gave up some time ago but really it was are hard slog...followed by an easier slog. Sometimes there is a point where you have some kind of epiphany and you think what the hell it ain't that  hard. I believe from your blog that you are rapidly reaching that point.

lynette3

It sounds like you're going thru a lot of changes right now. Humans don't often take to change easily. We fuss, we fume, we sometimes yearn for things to stay as they are, just for a little longer. Which, unfortunately, they don't. If we have physical issues to deal with as well, we also have the fear thing going on. "Yesterday there wasn't enough food to fill the void," you wrote. What void are you trying to fill? Or is it that you have stuffed down your true feelings in order to just cope and perhaps still have a friend or two?

If you feel an emptiness, a loss, isn't this part of the quit? Naturally, it is a "loss", in the sense that we aren't smoking anymore and therefore have no cigs. But not a loss in the sense that we gain so much more by quitting. If you feel as though you're overwhelmed sometimes, well, with all you've got going on in your life, I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I think it's good that you reach out to others whether it's on Facebook or wherever. But there's also a time where we must be alone. We process our loss and perhaps treat ourselves to a good book, a quiet evening, no phone, no people.

By returning to our "core values", we know that really, we value not smoking. We feel a sense of accomplishment, we become more confident in ourselves and our ability to quit. Therefore, we have a higher sense of self-esteem and a more positive self-image. When this happens, we become less needy for others to fill our void. We begin to understand this void, we know we can't smoke, eat or drink our way thru it. What will you do?

I love the city. Have spent lots of time there as I live in Sacto. You can always go for a walk. Perhaps by doing this, you could think more clearly and examine what this void is for you and how you'll go about filling it yourself. I walk everywhere as I live downtown. Love it!

jdc1953

Logorhhea!  That is funny!  At least you have kept your sense of humor.  I am sure you know about the drink water till you think you will bust trick.....it really helps to drink water before you eat (2 glasses at least).  Eat six small meals etc. etc.

Hang out here.....and log all you need.  You have lots of caring people here to help.  Also, the walk suggestion is fantastic.

laurie37

You have certainly gotten great input! I especially like Shay's reply! I felt very emotional in the beginning too. Your brain is healing itself. 🙂 And we're always here for you.

(((HUGS)))