cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

But come on

Showiestodin
2 10 198

I am an EX smoker for 14 days/2 weeks, happy day. My glucose is looking even better. I really had a hard time with eating too much. Now that I have calmed down, my glucose levels have as well. Whew, what a huge relief. I thank God for bringing me to this point.

Speaking of at this point in my life. I have always wanted to be good to myself by not smoking, exercising and eating right. Now that I am on that good path for myself, I am still at a loss. I feel different, sometimes happy, proud of myself for these accomplishments and yet something is missing. A void in my life. Med’s are being tweaked and I am going into cognitive behavioral therapy counseling next week.

I am so self-conscience. Always apologizing for everything, my very existence. I know that I have my share of mental health problems. But come on. I have got to give myself a break but don’t know how. Wish me well and please give a little prayer for me.

Thanks for your time,

Cathy

Tags (1)
10 Comments
MarilynH

First of all Cathy congratulations on 14 glorious smoke free days that's huge my friend, you are doing great one precious smoke free day at a time or if things happen to get rough then you'll get through it one hr, minute or even one second at a time but you are stacking up your precious DOF and counting yay you. I'm so happy about your glucose levels straightening out, I think it'll take some time to relearn different ways of dealing with life's issues without the crutch of smoking because everything we did had cigarettes involved and it's a strange feeling for awhile, I know for me I'd find myself reaching for one and of course I didn't have any smokes around and I felt let down but relieved, my emotions were everywhere but they leveled out and they will for you but after decades of smoking it's going to take a little time but it's so worth it, congrats again on getting through heck wk as we call it.

Jennifer-Quit

Congratulations on 14 days!  I think that the feeling of loss is normal in the beginning of your quit.  At least it was for me, and I have heard others express the same feeling.  Perhaps a new hobby or activity to fill the void might be helpful.

Daniela2016

Hi Cathy, all the feelings you are experiencing are normal in this early stage of your quit; I do remember searching for the same feeling of pride in doing the right thing for my body, but there are too many things occupying your mind at this time, not the least having to deal with the cravings.  Be patient with yourself.

I quit on 03/11/13; by September - October timeframe, the family doctor put me Short term, sent me to a Psychiatrist and I went to the same kind of therapy.  It helped at the time, however it covered up a more serious thing, which was Hashimoto's, diagnosed later, in January. I would ask my Dr to test for Hashimoto's, your "metal problems" might actually be just a symptom of the disease. Give yourself time, be gentle to yourself, be good to yourself.  You are really doing the right thing, and will collect the benefits one day at the time.

Congrats on 14 DOF!

YoungAtHeart

I think you will be amazed at the boost to your self confidence when you actually ACHIEVE being an ex-smoker.  I hope you will feel like if you can do this, you can do ANYTHING!  I know I did!

I agree with Jennifer-Quit , you need to find something to keep you busy.   I would recommend that you find a volunteer opportunity.  If you have trouble around people, then volunteer at an animal welfare center.  They can ALWAYS use an extra set of hands.....you can "socialize" kitties by just sitting quietly in a room and petting them!  Or your local hospital can always use cuddlers for the nursery....or you could bring cheer to a nursing home.  You can give of yourself and receive so much else in return.

It will help fill both the time and emotional gaps you have created by quitting smoking.  This is a life altering journey you are on - make the MOST of it - find YOU!

Nancy

MisFitz

Learning how to love and accept ourselves is one of the hardest things to do.  But its so worth it!  You don't have to be perfect.....you just have to be you!

Christine13

Prayers for you Cathy.  Hope the therapy helps.  I think it's always hard in the beginning, but you've made a good start.

Congrats on two weeks quit!!

elvan

Showiestodin  Aw, Cathy, it's normal to feel a sense of loss at the beginning, kind of like grieving...it WILL pass with more days smoke free.  I LOVE YoungAtHeart‌'s suggestion of being a kitty or baby cuddler.  My local hospital doesn't have a maternity ward any more.  I might have an issue with kitties since I would at least WANT to bring them all home...both of those volunteer activities can give you so much back.  You could also volunteer to read to patients in a nursing home.  It would be one on one and the patient would love the company and it would help you to feel less vulnerable.  

I am SO glad that your blood glucose is behaving.  Good job.

It will get easier but it DOES take time..as JonesCarpeDiem‌ says "Time is the healer."  It really IS.

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

Come join us at https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/exercising-and-health/blog/2017/06/08/lets-get-moving-chal...  you will be welcomed.  One day at a time.  Exercise will help you release some of the stress, thoughts and lots of good dopamine and make you feel better about yourself.  Baby steps is what it takes.  Enjoy the journey.  It gets better. 

Giulia

Smoking is something we used to DO.  Finding the pack, finding the lighter, knocking ashes in the ashtray, emptying the ashtray, going to the store to buy another ....   It was actually an activity that we participated in on a daily basis.  When we stop smoking, that  lack of activity leaves a mental void and until we're comfortable, we feel a bit weird.  Like a dragonfly out of water.  Until we metamorphosize and get used to flying.  Exercise does help with that.

I hope that cognitive therapy helps you to find your self worth.  Just keep listening to us.  We'll boost your ego!  Now, take your right hand, place it over you left shoulder and pat yourself on the back while saying  "Good Girl!".  Then do the same with the other hand.  Do it when you first awaken in the morning and just before bed.  Kudos on those hard won two weeks! 

maryfreecig

Thanks for sharing about feeling less than--nobody wants to feel this way, so definitely give your self a break--everyday. Yeah for 14 now 16. Yes you can!

About the Author
Encourage and be encouraged. I need to maintain my quit. This is my forever quit.