Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Bursting at the seams to celebrate! Day 351

schneidl
0 18 47

Hello all fellow ex-smokers or ex-smokers to be,

Today I celebrate day 351 smoke free.  When I started this journey I dreamed about posting my 1 year smoke free blog. It seemed impossible. I'm still not there but I'm oh so close and know I'll make it!

The things that have changed since I quit smoking:

1.) My skin looks better

2.) I saved some major money this year

3.) I smell way better

OKAY, HERE IS THE STUFF THAT BLOWS MY MIND:

1.) I spend a lot more time with my kids

2.) I started running and have ran 10 or so 5k races to date. I am running a 10k in May on my 39th birthday. I love running.

3.) I applied for and now have the job I've wanted for a couple of years. I overcame my fear of public speaking, got up in front of the group and did it. (It was part of the job interview).

4.) I went ziplining

Okay, there are things I expected and that motivated me of course, my health, money, appearance and then there were the changes that came from within once I had time. Time to focus on me and not on the smoking.

Some days suck. I mean come on we all know some days are just hard and that's life. But, they don't suck any more than they would have with me smoking. Actually they suck less because I'm not killing myself to "comfort" myself. 

I apologize for the disjointed blog. I'm so super psyched to be so close to a year. This site plays a major role in my commitment to live a smoke free life. Read it, use it, embrace the folks here. They know their stuff :).

18 Comments
SarahP

Ahhhh, fantastic!  I'm so happy for you -- these are the kind of thoughts that take people from just quitting to Quitting Forever! Congrats! 

YoungAtHeart

I am SO happy for you.  Funny story:  I have always wanted to run, and when I was about 57 I asked my ortho what was the best way to work up to it.  He said a very short, emphatic "no."  I said "come-on!"  He said "no!"  He then explained that my age was a little late to be starting, and that it would not be good for my knees, etc.  Which brings us to the rest of the story.  I started then to swim in earnest - and was doing 45 minutes of laps when I broke my shoulder early this summer.  And, as usual, I have decided his advice was accurate.

Be grateful you quit smoking and can run like the wind!  You EARNED it!  It is so wonderful you woke up in time to get going!

Be sure to stop back to celebrate your anniversary.

Nancy

Buddy12

Great blog! You are an inspiration to all of us. Thanks for your excellent example, and for showing us how it's done.

whognu_1-2007

very very goot.

nikki77

Congratulations!!! I'm excited too:)!!! You deserve a big celebration!!!

Thomas3.20.2010

I'm here holding the 6%ers' Club door open for you!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 

Magstoyou

Congratulations for sharring all your accompishments for all of us as we go along our journey!! Those are great inspirations to keep us going !!!

Congratulations on almost a year, your almost there!!! Yea!!! The 6% Club!!!

Mag

jojo_2-24-11

Hi Schneidl, Congratulations on 351 days! You look and sound amazing! So happy you stopped by. Like Nancy said, don't forget to stop by on your year anniversary.

savedbygrace2

Well done! Thank you for being a inspiration!

joyeuxencore

So happy to see you!! So Monday December 2nd we are having the big ONE YEAR anniversary party??!!!

I just celebrated mine on Nov 5th...SO nice to be free...xo

joyeuxencore

And for the new folks newly quit this is what Annie wrote on day four last year:

"I am on Day 4. It feels good. Those thoughts that creep in are driving me nuts though. I need to write yet another list of reasons for quitting. I need to read them each and every time the devil appears on my shoulder. "You only live once", "I could quit at the beginning of the year like everyone else does (Jan 1)".

My extended family smokes. My sis, sis-in-law, mom etc...so I keep thinking "well, you know you are going to see them on Christmas, what are you possibly going to do then".

I will write my list again. I will take a deep breath. I will think about my kids. I will think about the money I save. The teeth I save...

One minute at a time."

And she got through the holidays with her family smoking and is about to celebrate one year quit...

Good for you Schneild-ly!!!! xo
kathy_ryz

AWESOME!!!

Joan_01-02-2015

So happy for you - can't wait for the celebration!!  

nanawendy

Congrats !!

Michwoman

Yes Ma'am!! Woohoo!!!

jocj88

Wow so awesome!!!  Huge accomplishment!

ShawnP

Congratulations on 351!!!

SkyGirl

ANNIE!!!  ANNIE!!!  ANNIE!!!  Oh. My. Goodness!

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am to see you come back and tell us how you are still not smoking and how you are running more than ever!.

I must admit, I hate it when people I get to caring about just go back into the real world and, while I KNOW it means that cigarettes are such a thing of the past for for them that they don't need to be here all the time (which I, OF COURSE, celebrate...)  I DO miss them.  And I have really missed you, Annie.

My very best memory of you was when you were struggling and wanted something new, something different, something BETTER to think about...and I said..."Go get a new haircut".  You DID and you loved it.  God,..I'm good, ain't I?  LOL

Please run a race in my name and I'll invoke your name the next time someone comes here and says, "I am not sure I can do this..."  I will say "Oh, yes, you can.  Annie did!"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooooooooooooo,   Sky