Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Bonfire!!!! Happy 4th of July!!!

ShawnP
6 219 1,483
   Freedom is a choice
   Independence is PRICELESS!

Come celebrate your Independence!!! Now let's get this bonfire blazing!!!

Your fuel for the fire is.....Number of days that you are smoke free x the number of cigarettes that you used to smoke per day.

Tags (1)
219 Comments
Bonnie11.3.2009

Please add my 62,070 unsmoked cigarettes to the bonfire!!  Thought I wouldn't be able to make it here in time tonight, but so happy to celebrate so many successful quits!! I read someone say they were an elder because they had more than 365 days but they didn't feel like an elder.  When you've made it over a year quit you have LOTS of wisdom to share with the newcomers!!!!!  Congrats to everyone contributing tonight, job well done Pir8fan and Shawn, great bonfire!!!

ShawnP

ya do it like this

and end like this!

lip smacking good!

SkyGirl

Whew!  Flew back to DC as fast as I could (not that I actually have any control over that!) from...from...uh...hold on a sec...oh, from Chicago, Indianapolis (FINALLY got a layover there now that Brenda M has come back to DC--sheesh!), Denver, LaGuardia NYC, Houston,  so I could get to the bonfire with all you guys!  I made it!  I almost NEVER get to come to one of these burnings, so I'm excited!

I'm dumping my 30,300 unsmoked cigarettes into the bonfire!  I thought about borrowing one of those trucks you guys have been using.  But I decided to lug those life-sucking  poisonous, dried-up Death Sticks over to the bonfire, armful by armful.  I'm throwing them into the fire, one pack at a time.  It's going to take a long while...and with every pack I toss into the flames, I'm going to be smiling and thanking my smarter self for the best decision I ever made for my own health and well-being.

Wow, this is a lot of work, carrying all these packs of cigarettes to the fire!  Tommy, pour me a margarita, PLEASE!

And, Shawn, you are absolutely AMAZING.  I'm staggered by the the amount of love and work you put into this site for all of us.  I wish I was as cool as you are.  XXXOOO to you, Shawn.  Thank you so much...

YoungAtHeart

I was going to bring makings for S'mores, but then I realized I would have to roast the marshmallows over the cigarette fire....ewwwwwwwww!

I think I'll pass on that idea!

Nancy

But - here's some chocolate dessert to share!

froguelady

Thanks Shawn and Tommy for the great part and I'll have one of everything please.  I had loaded up my unsmoked nasty smokes and am adding 26.707 to the first.

My internet has been on and off (mostly off) today so if I don't get back here I wish everyone a wonderful 4th of July. LET FREEDOM RING!

ShawnP
pir8fan

In The Netherlands, 8,301 American soldiers are buried! They paid the ultimate price for Freedom in Operation Market Garden, an effort to free The Netherlands, during the fall of 1944! 8,301 Dutch families have each adopted one of these soldiers! They tend the graves, and many have poitraits of their soldier pominently displayed in their homes!

On this 4th of July, let us pause to remember that Freedom is nor Free, and salute the many members of our armed forces who have paid the price of the Freedom that we enjoy today! Let us neither forget how dear the cost, nor forsake that which we have been given!

God Bless America!!

SkyGirl

(Nancy:  I need to return your travel mug that you put the lilacs in when I dropped you off after Nashville.  That's a good enough reason to drive up to Baltimore for an afternoon, isn't it?)

(Tommy, I need to return your pirate hankerchief you gave me in Nashville when I cried because you guys gave me a card congratulating me on my engagement.  That's a good enough reason to fly down to Naples, isn't it?  Don't worry; I laundered it!)

Golly, all these packs of cigarettes are heavy to lug over to the fire.  I guess I could use a wheelbarrow.  Did anyone bring a wheelbarrow to this party?

JonesCarpeDiem

Storm.3.1.14

What a great party tonight, everyone! I'm so stuffed full of cookout goodies and shrimp, and s'mores and cake, all I can do is light a sparkler so I can see to waddle my way back up the hill to the house. Hahaha!

GOODNIGHT, EXERS!!!!

And remember: You're free to choose, so choose to be free!

pir8fan

Did the math for Jenn! 5940!

ShawnP

Here's the wheelbarrow

pir8fan

How about 1,132,057

exsmokermom

94 Days Of Freedom!!!!!!!  That is 1880 cigarettes going on the bonfire!!!

SkyGirl

You know, Shawn, that cowboy was cute...but at the parties that Teddy, Jordan and I threw while we were in NML, we always had PIRATES.  Now, of course, TOMMY is the best pirate EVER EVER EVER, no question!  But are there any other pirates that might come to the bonfire?  

Terri103

The fire got a little hot for me.    Sure is a big hint of menthol in the air.    Hey, isn't there anyone from Florida with key lime pie???

ShawnP

did u eat like this, STorm?

pir8fan

Here you go Sky! Laundered it? So I get no DNA proof that you ever had it!?!?

SkyGirl

Thanks for the wheelbarrow, Shawn!  (Deep sigh of relief)  This is easier, now.   Tommy, are you still here?  If so, please get your blender going, Babe!

SkyGirl

(Glug, glug, glug)  Thanks, Tommy!  You're the BEST marg-maker on this entire site at every party we've ever had!

Um, DNA?  Yeah, I laundered every trace of mascara and tears out of it.  You'll never be able to pin anything on me.  Hah!

pir8fan

Did someone say Pirate?

SkyGirl

Gosh, I wish we could post pictures here with an iPad.  Can't do it.  Tommy, tell Admin!

maggie_8-1-2010

I  have now stopped smoking for 4 years, 11 months, 6 days, 6 hours, 53 minutes, 22 seconds. That translates into 62,940 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $12,588.01! At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 7 months, 1 day, 13 hours, 14 seconds. Woo Hoo and congrats to all quitters here and everywhere!   
SkyGirl

Tommy!!!!  Best pirate ever.  No question.  🙂   

Mothergoose9

Now THAT'S a total!!!!! 🙂

ShawnP

LindaL has 3 weeks, 6 days, 548 cigs NOT SMOKED and she says WOOHOOOOZERS!

pir8fan

pir8fan

Maggie!! Connie!! I love and miss both of you!!!!

ShawnP

how about him, sky?

bonniebee

146 days of freedom !!! Happy 4th of July Everyone ! I thank god for our country and our freedom ! God Bess America !

I am very happy to add 2,920 cigarettes to our very beautiful bonfire !

Congrats to all of us who have freedom from sickerettes !!!!! And congrats to all who are trying to quit  too ! You can do it !

djmurray

I had to delete my first post because somewhere between the calculator and the keyboard I got the number wrong.  I have been quit for 185 days and used to smoke 30 a day -- grand total is 5,550 cigarettes not smoked.  Love it!!  Throw those nasty things into that bonfire for sure!!

ShawnP

Newfound Joy is leaving us with 31,675 unsmoked butts to toss in.......stand back!

pir8fan

ShawnP

Iwannalife has 68 days today and has 1,360 unsmoked cigs to contribute to the bonfire! 

Way to go, I wannalife!

Jim133

915 days. 36,603 cigarettes not smoked. Hugo says "Hi."

Terri103

I'm surprised ATF hasn't shown up yet.  This sure has to look like some suspicious activity!!

misty_dawn

1801 days of freedom to throw on this fire! And $10,806 not spent killing myself!
36,020 cigarrettes. 😄     

Happy Independence Day!!! Love and miss you all!

Let Freedom Ring!

pir8fan

MISTY!!!!!!

pir8fan

Sheri is unable to get here but is sending in 11,400!!

ShawnP

Newlife didnt think she would make it. She has the grandkids. She has 12,360 cigarettes not smoked and saved $2688.30

TerrieQuit

hello everyone Ive been eating and drinking with you all.thanks its been alot of fun and i hope you dont mind because my quit date isnt till monday. Next year ill have a cart load of em to throw in. Happy 4th and congrats to all!!!

pir8fan

I have to walk the dog and crash!

1,335,271 and counting!!

ShawnP

Glad that you can join us Grandbunn!!! keep saving those cigs for next year. It will be blazing!!!

ShawnP

There's a Star spangled banner waving somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2ZgOY0HTI

ShawnP

His reaction to that number!! 1,335,271!!! We still have til midnight tomorrow night to keep this fire burning! KEEP TOSSING THEM IN!!!

bonniebee

I posted and now I don't see it ! so here I go again !

Happy 4th everyone ! We can celebrate ou beautiful country and our freedom and now our freedom from the addiction to cigarettes ! Yay for us !

I have 146 days od freedom and at a pack a day and sometimes more I have 2,920 unsmoked cigs to add to the bonfire !

Thanks for all the delicious food and drinks everyone I wish i could have brought something !

Glad to be an American today and always  I thank God for our freedom and for  those who have given there lives to keep us free! I also thank all who have served and are serving now !

ShawnP

Just going through my phone messages and i found this one!

Rick couldn't access Ex on his cell and wants me to toss in a whopping 50,000 cancer sticks!!!

i think i need some help Rick....

Legend

Here is some music for y’all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLiMy4NaSKc

Legend

You can toss into the fire 48,758 unsmoked cigarettes from me. 

ShawnP

thanks Legend! love that song!

About the Author
I am 51 yrs old and live in the Greater Cleveland area. I started smoking at a young age. I think it was more peer pressure at that time and just a few cigarettes a day until i became "LEGAL" to smoke. I then started smoking a pack or more a day, using stress as my excuse to smoke more. In reality, I realized after i quit smoking that there is no excuses for smoking. I am approaching 4 yrs next month, but I still have to work to protect my quit. I am here on Ex faithfully helping others and in return helps me. We call it here on Ex "Collateral Kindness" here is a link to my blog, 1 yr later that explained my trials in the the beginning of my quit. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/ShawnP-blog/2013/03/14/one-year-later