cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Betrayal

Courage
0 8 85

So as I go along this journey understanding that I'm now in a  phase where my mind and thinking are still addicted at times, I'd like to clarify that, at times...  In any event, I needed one of those walks this morning to clear my brain and some work frustration thinking how much I wanted "one."  And I said to myself what, the thing that was making you physically ill and was killing you!?

So here's my analogy that I've used, again, only a couple of times today. As we walk through life we have all experienced a betrayal, at one time or another, by someone be it friend, lover, whoever, that we trusted without question, that someone who you shared your most intimate everything and then, they deliver the blow, violated your trust, cheated, whatever it was... The pain is so deep you can taste the bile, it's a gut punch and you think I'll never recover from this hurt, but you do. In fact you come out stronger. Then the day comes where that person asks for reconciliation, that they're so sorry they hurt you and you say no, the cut was too deep, the betrayal too deep, I can never forgive you, you almost killed me.  

So my friends, that's my new analogy to smoking. It was never my friend, it was smiling at me all the while twisting the knife in my back.  So, when it rears its ugly head in my mind I say no, you tried to kill me, take me from my children and loved ones, I will have nothing to do with you again ever, its over and I'm stronger for it...

8 Comments
hattonc

Wow...soo true.. I can totally relate

Courage

Then by all means, use it if you need to.... Had to get over my pity party....;)

marilyn_marmac

I LOVE the analogy!!! Good for you for realizing, it was never your friend. It was something you did and now....it's time to say goodbye and move on.

Don’t keep going back-and-forth, just make a clean break (up) from cigarettes.

Courage

Well, what do you know, a Dear John letter!  🙂 

Giulia

Oh yes.  You come out stronger by recognizing the betrayal.  You learn to say NO because of that recognition.  You have a greater understanding of it and thus have more power over it.  You turn it all on it's head and become the one in charge, rather than the victim. 

I think what you "want" is simply what you were accustomed to.  It takes time to become accustomed to the 'new you' without a cigarette in hand.  People stay in incredibly abusive relationships because they're, in many ways, less scary than CHANGING - than getting out of the relatiionship.  Quitting is not so different.  You've grasped that.  You're analogy is spot on. 

tinab3

Thanks for your post--I have just recently quit again 2 days ago but the difference this time in my mind is also that the cigarettes are killing me and taking me away from my family.  This time is the time.  I pray

Courage

And please know that this is an addiction and must be treated as so. If you haven't seen or gotten the essential links that will help you, please let me know ASAP and I'll send them to you. The only way to do this is to arm yourself with knowledge 

Courage

And please know that this is an addiction and must be treated as so. If you haven't seen or gotten the essential links that will help you, please let me know ASAP and I'll send them to you. The only way to do this is to arm yourself with knowledge 

About the Author
Gone but Not Forgotten. RIP - they leave a legacy of their quit journeys behind as road maps for future members, to prevent the pitfalls, provide the tools and show the hope and possibilities for success at overcoming this addiction at any age at any stage. Quit March 16th. 52 years old, smoked 2 packs a day for 40 years, enough said. Day 124, July 18 I smoked a cigarette and continued to smoke (because there is no such thing as just one) until Sunday, November 2, 2014. April 24, 2015 I'm editing the above. Certainly did not quit back in November and I'm 53 now. Boy, time sure flies... There's nothing worse than being a smoker who wants nothing more than to quit. Okay, so now it's over a year, but I will do this starting today, August 17, 2015. Out of the darkness and into the light.... Needed to update this, quit as of September 14, 2015. Anyone contemplating losing their quit, just follow this time line, it's taken me over a year to take back my freedom when I thought it was going to be so easy to take it back before. Don't make that mistake. Wish I had a counter, but as I write this it is September 24, 2015, I'm in the baby stages of my quit. Day one again, September 28, 2015