cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Being Discharged from San Francisco General Hospital

tools4work
0 11 21
I'm being discharged from San Francisco General Hospital tomorrow and going to the San Francisco Nursing Center at http://sfnursing.com. I may be at the nursing center for 1 to 2 weeks. I haven't had a cigarette for a few days because SFGH is a non smoking facility. I've been on the patch and it's working well. I've been thinking about asking for the patch when I'm re-admitted to the nursing center.
11 Comments
flaroyale

Best of luck to you.

Thomas3.20.2010
Good news that you're being released! Patches may be a big help to you while you make the mental adjustment of your new smoke FREE lifestyle! Finding new ways to get through the day and changing your thoughts around sickerettes is important. Take care of you!!!!
Puff-TM-Draggin

Funny how when we don't have a choice we somehow survive without a cigarette.  I used to think I could surely quit if someone would simply strap me to my bed with a lock and key and not let me go for a couple weeks.  Of course, as soon as they did, I would have made a b-line for the tobacco shop.  It has to be a choice before it has any hope of being a reality.  

Ladybug--7-3-12

Please do continue on with the patch regime if that helps you remain smoke free.  You are being given a grand opportunity to launch your new smoke free life so run with it because you never know how many more chances you may be given to quit "easier".  

On a personal note having a recent stint in the hospital myself:  I did not even once think about smoking while in medical crisis until I was back home again.  The only thing I felt then was gratitude for no longer having the elephant of smoking on my back.  You can do it too! 

Keep yourself smoke free & moving forward (healing will be better too for you).  You'll never regret it! 

Patty  

YoungAtHeart

I'm happy the surgery went well and you are on the mend.  I am happier still to hear you are going to take this opportunity to quit smoking.  When you get home, you will need to put any remaining cigarettes under running water and then the trash, and also get rid of your lighters and ashtrays.  Leaving any around is giviing yourself permission to fail!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee,  Rearrange the furniture in the areas where you used to smoke so the view is different.  Being in a wheelchair will reduce the associations with smoking, I would hope!

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air,,play a computer game.  Maybe you could have someone get you a jigasaw puzzle to work on or maybe some crossword puzzle books.    Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Glad to know that your surgery went well and you are now going to rehab for the mend.  It is a good thing that you have decided to quit smoking.  By the way did you know you are on the home page as a feaured member?  Continue onward upward and be a star nonsmoker. Get well.

MarilynH

I am thinking positive thoughts for you and am sending good thoughts up for you for strength and healing. 

Junior7

Congrats on your decision to quit! 

TerrieQuit

I am glad to hear that you are healing! This is a great opportunity for you. You already have the most miserable time overwith! You can do this! Keep moving forward, you won't be sorry! Congratulations on your freedom!

121  DOF

tools4work
Thanks to everyone who posted a comment. I'm still on mobile and it's hard to thank everyone individually. I appreciate all the good advice!
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is your recovery going?

Mark
EX Community Manager