cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Beginning Day 6!

kerry21
0 3 15

I have been doing pretty well with my quit so far, but I am still worried that the worst of urges will be arriving in the next couple of days.

Day 4 was a big test for me. As a smoker, my Thursday nights involved:

1.working until 10:30pm then having a smoke before driving home.

2.Smoke 2 or 3 cigarettes while en route to a friend's apartment for our weekly hang-out 

3. Smoke half a pack of cigarettes while hanging out at this apartment.

I didn't want to miss out on my weekly catch-up with friends, but I was afraid of the difficult task of resisting the desire to smoke while being with friends. Instead of rationalizing that I could smoke that one night and restart my quit the next day, I stopped at Wendy's for a strawberry milkshake. What a wonderful treat!!!!

When I got to this apartment, my husband greeted me at the door and when we kissed hello, I could taste cigarettes on his mouth! He had one cigarette before I arrived (he doesn't smoke regularly by any means) and it made his mouth taste so gross! After tasting a delicious strawberry milkshake, the taste of a cigarette on his mouth really made my stomach turn.  I realized immediately that I had always tasted like a nasty cigarette to him, 6 years of tasting like that when he kissed me. I apologized to him for all the times I tasted like an ashtray.

Once I was in the apartment, I continued drinking my milkshake and caught up with my friends. Some of them lit up, but it didn't bother me. A small part of me wanted to smoke too, but I told myself no and left it at that. My first night as an exsmoker among my friends was a success!!!

Day 5 was a little tough for me. It was my day off and I found myself feeling lost about what to do with myself. As a smoker, I spent my days off sitting on my patio, puffing away. To keep myself occupied, I cleaned up my home, went to Target to buy some household supplies, took a nap, then met up with a friend for dinner. I had a big rack of smoked ribs with rice and a salad for dinner! It was delicious! My full stomach triggered a craving for a cigarette, but I resisted. I went home, ate some sorbet, and called my mother in-law. We had a long, wonderful conversation.:)

I am excited to be on my 6th day as an ex-smoker. 🙂

3 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Sounds like you understand its a choice each time

and its just as easy not to smoke as it is to smoke once you get that.

james41

Yes the drug is gone now,,, It's up to you now, It's a choice. Congrats on 6 days, before you know it you wil be at 60 days.

bonfire817

Way to GO on 6 days Kerry! Good for you. I have to say, you are SO STRONG! I was NO WHERE near anyone who smoked for the first couple of weeks (to my good fortune). I am one of the last of my friends to quit, which is part of the reason. Keep up the GREAT work!