cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Beer and No Man's Land Don't Mix

Junior7
0 16 43

Embarrassed to say that after several beers yesterday afternoon, I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked half a pack.  No more beers until I am done with No Man's Land this time.  Starting over feels depressing, but I am determined to make this quit stick.  My mom was so disappointed when she found out I had smoked that she actually cried a little--and I feel terrible that I will have disappointed my good Exer friends, too. I did not want to confess to my stupid mistake, but it is the right thing to do.  I reset my quit clock and am ready to tackle this. 

16 Comments
Brenda_M

Dang it! My last quit died an unceremonious death under similar circumstances. I didn't know about No Man's Land at the time, but I'd say I was about two weeks past it. I'm okay drinking, so long as my husband is nearby.

'Course, now I'm thinking of moving and leaving him behind for a few months. I won't be drinking during that time, because I am so certain that if I do, it'll be a problem, and I'll leave and not come back for almost 3 years, and how embarrassing would that be (again)?

salsa

I so get that! I have the same trigger. Just start again and stay way from the drinks for awhile??? Easy to say right?

salsa

BTW what is no mans land???

JonesCarpeDiem

i usually do a post about drinking every friday in the summer.

my bad

froguelady

Junior, start again, this time you are wiser and know to leave the alcohol alone. It is not worth it or it would not be for me but then I don't drink anymore so that solved that trigger. Go forward from today and we are still here as your support system.

Marti7

Glad to hear you are back into your quit.  Day 31 for me and I'm always amazed when I hear the nicotine still calls your name after such a long time without it. I've actually gone out to dinner and had a few drinks afterward, but I've been with non-smoking friends, so guess that was easier than if I'd been with some of my smoking friends.  I have limited my exposure to those that smoke.  I am hoping I can be around them more in the future, but for now, it still bothers me to see other people smoking because I get cravings.

Hang in there Junior.  The worst part of slipping has got to be going through day 1 all over again! 

🙂

Junior7

Thanks, everyone!!!!

Patty-cake

Junior,

I'm so sorry you are back at day one. Please, don't let what happened yesterday stop your from moving forward with a new quit. A renewed commitment.

Alcohol and smoking are triggers for me also. Like Marti, I also avoid those slippery places. About 2 months into my quit,  I thought I could walk in the smoking area at work to chat with a couple of friends and found that being around smoking made me uncomfortable. I now know that I am better off chatting with these same people in a non-smoking environment.

There are many slippery places for all of us. Some people who quit smoking, also quit drinking, at least for a while. Protect your quit at all costs.

Connie55

Sorry about your set back but glad you are back on the bus. I would be interested to know what was going through your head at the time. Like at the moment you decided to buy cigarettes. And then at the moment you decided to go ahesd and light one up. And then, even more surprisingly, at the moment you decided that since you already smoked one, a half a pack would be OK too. What lies and tricks did that addicition pull on you that you were not able to see through?

carole19

Junior,

Glad to hear U r climbing aboard again n I am sure U really didn't want to admit what U did but by making this blog U can read it over an over an know where U have been an where U don't want to go...I can understand about NML...been there an took that one puff  5 yrs ago after 9 month of being smoke free..

But U have climbed back on the wonderful train we call "FREEDOM" an will take the ride again with "KNOWLEDGE" of what if I have just one ...Don't challege yourself, just lay low for awhile because now U know what the results can be..

COME ABOARD THE TRAIN OF FREEDOM!

Jordan-11-1-12

So sorry you fell, but I'm glad you got right back up. I'm glad that you're not spending months, or even years, off the wagon. I quit drinking the day before I stopped smoking. There have been a couple of times that I've felt like buying a 6 pack, but I easily say no it because it is such a huge, constant trigger. When I drank I practically chain smoked. 

You know you can do this, you know went wrong. So glad you're still here!!

smurfette62_sherry

Hi Junior. I don't think it is a disappointment at all. We are all HUMAN and make mistakes. But you realized that and are correcting it. Its not like we are going to stop caring. We are here for as long as you need us. 

At least, that is my opinion...

bella65
Awe sorry my friend your right they don't mix sometimes lately I don't have to many beers myself for fear of starting up again glad you came here and admiited it and your starting over good for u
lisa11209

Good for you for getting right back on it. 

SkyGirl
Junior, I will admit I was surprised to read this. You had such a strong Quit going! I guess it just goes to show all of us how we are never, ever safe from the deceptive allures of nicotine. But you can sure see from all the posts above that everyone here supports you and cares about you and is proud of your honesty and your commitment to start all over again. You certainly have MY support. In fact, I think I will send you some Shrimp Po Boys and onion rings. You can't smoke THOSE, Kiddo! But, seriously, put it behind you, be a Newbie again, and get going on your ABSOLUTE FINAL QUIT. You CAN do it. You WERE doing it!!! xxxooo
janetlynn

You can do this..don't look at it as a failure, look at it as a experience and you learned from it and you got back on track asap! Thats great! Congrats to you!