cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Be careful

stonecipher
0 6 2

when you are coming up with reasons to quit.  The first reason and most of the top ten should be about YOU and not someone else who wants you to quit.  We've all heard this before, of course.  And there is nothing wrong with realizing that our quitting will please our loved ones.  But if that is the primary reason you are quitting, it might not hold up over time.

Look closer and think it through.  When we do something to please someone, and then that someone displeases us, it makes us want to take back the "favor" we did for them. 

I guess it could be called "Cutting off your nose to spite someone else's face".

Let's just say if I hadn't quit smoking for ME a year ago, I would probably be tempted to smoke tonight.  As it is, I am feeling the need for comfort that I used to run to cigarettes for.  But I do not feel the need for a cigarette.  And that is the best feeling I have right now. 

So, I think a bubble bath and a beer and early to bed is what I will do instead.  Surely tomorrow will be better.

6 Comments
Jordan-11-1-12

yes, its the classic rule of addiction. When my husband got help for his alcahol addiction, they told him the same thing. They told him not to quit for me and the kids because if we made him mad, he may use it as an excuse to drink. 

Fight for your freedom, for you first.

freeneasy

Yep-I quit for me and only me! I think I'm going to have another dish of ice cream-only gained 4 lbs. so far.. 

motherlovebone

This is spot on, Stone....and as much as I need my children's faces to stay inspired in tough moments, I am just so sick of the time and energy put into smoking, and now quitting...but I know the only way out is through.
And free....Ben and Jerry are now two of my best friends.  Portion control and it's all good!

Giulia

Bottom line is - we know they're right.  We should quit.  They may be the catalyst, and that ain't a bad thing, but ultimately we come back to the fact that we know we should quit.  And that's the reason we remain so.  My husband badgered me for YEARS.  I finally relented.  And quit.  I did it to get him off my back, but I also knew it was something I should do  for myself.  Something I had tried to do over the years.  The "for someone else" got me going.   And I'd say that ain't a bad thing.  But it's not the thing that's gonna "hold up over time" as you say. 

It's easy to misinterpret the need for comfort for a need of a cigarette.  Enjoy your bubble bath.  This too shall pass.

wishingstar

I hope what ever is bothering you passes. Yes it sounds selfish, but you have to do it for self first.

Renee 25 days

joyeuxencore

I am glad you quit for you too Stone! A beer and a bubble bath are so much better in every way than a cigarette! xo