Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Back on track

doctordjames
0 4 4

Hello all you non-smokers and future non-smokers,

I had almost a week last month and then I slipped. I decided to go back into the EX community and plan my quit date and get a nicotine aid lined up. I set my quit date a little over 2 weeks out like it was recommended and got my two boxes of Nicorette Gum. Yesterday was my official start date, however, in all honesty I thought it necessary to finish my last 4 cigarettes in the morning..old habits die hard. So, technically, I didn't become a non-smoker until yesterday afternoon. I have been chewing my gum as directed, drinking a lot of water, and have my carrot sticks close at hand. Another part of my own personal plan was to get on a good eating plan before quitting. I joined a well known weight loss program that is offered through my work. Even though I don't have a lot of weight to lose, maybe 15-25, I knew it would help to get a healthy eating program in place so I don't turn to chocolate and chips when I stopped the cigarettes. I actually lost 3.5 pound the first week, this helped to motivate me. As I strive towards a healthier me, I think the eating part goes well for me while I quit the smoking. Also, the only groceries I buy are ones that I can't go to overboard on. I also started taking a multivitamen pack to work everyday, helping to get my body nutrients in balance. By the way, when I tried to quit cold turkey a few weeks ago, without planning ahead, without a nicotine aide, and eating all sorts of foods...I did not succeed. And I was really an aweful person to be around. I want it to be different this time.

So what do you think??

Should I technically call this day 1?

Warmly,

Dena

4 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome back!

It's really up to you; I think some people have quit after the morning cigarettes on purpose and you still technically quit yesterday.  If you want to be COMPLETELY honest, I guess you would count today as #1...................

I am glad you took the time to do the reading (at least I hope you did?) and make your plan.  Be careful using the nicotine gum ---- you don't just want to replace all your cigarettes with it.....there are some people who have just, then, become addicted to IT!  

We are glad you're here.  Let us know how we can help!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

JonesCarpeDiem

Welcome

the day you quit is day one in my opinion.

great thought on the eating program

be aware that you will need to do something else that causes a dopamine release.

Smoking did that, Food does that, but, there are others.

exercise, listening to music, sex. do it also.

please be aware that with any nrt you control the dosage yourself, there is more of a chance to become addicted to it.

Many people passing through have become addicted to the gum for long periods because of this.

a pack of cigarettes delivers approximately 20mg of nicotine by the time it gets to your brain. so, about five 4mg pieces equals a pack.

dmickow

Hi!  

I started juicing.  I love it!  They're are so many variations you can mix with!!!  With the money I know I'll be saving on cigs and alcohol...I bought a Vitamix..for me this releases dopamine!  And, of course exercise and other things...lol!

Juices throughout the day and, of course sensible eating..for me, really reduces the cravings!  The thoughts are still there but, I do something else...take a walk..shower, get on here, etc...

I also agree that the day you quit should be your day 1.

I wish you success and, I too just started back again...I have 11 days today!!

doctordjames

Thank you dmickow, It is official now...Today is my day 1:)

I enjoy juicing too...so many yummy things to juice...and you didn't mess around and went for the totally awesome juicer too!!!

It is great getting the feedback and encouragement, Warmly, Dena