cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Back from Paradise

elvan
0 15 4

Back from vacation.  I had an incredible time.  Hurricane/Tropical Storm Bertha never hit the Florida coast but it produced waves that were well over my head, granted that’s not too far since I am 5’1” but WOW.  I made no effort to use a surfboard or a boogie board and I knew that a blow up raft would never make it past the waves with me holding it.  I just walked out as far as I could without getting knocked down and it was amazing.   The water was warm and I loved every minute of being on the beach.  The house was adorable, aside from the fact that the “spa” did not work and the pool filter shut down more than once so the water looked horrible. We went to the beach every morning and afternoon and then again most evenings.  A couple of afternoons, I had to take a nap because I could not keep going.  Walking on sand is challenging for a body with arthritis.  I could not make it as far as I wanted to.  Might be that I overestimated my ability.

I had some pretty strong craves for cigarettes, the first one was just as I arrived at the airport to leave for the trip and there were people outside smoking where I would have been in the past, whenever I went to that airport, or any other for that matter.  I also had some craves when I would sit outside with my daughter at the table by the pool but I never drank anything alcoholic because I was pretty sure that I would lose any of my resolve at that point.  I DID REACH 200 days on August 7th and that was pretty wonderful.

We had to be at the airport by 3:00AM on Friday to return the rental car and check in our baggage…or so we thought, hahaha, the ticketing desk does not open until 4:30 so we sat at the airport from 2:45AM until 4:30 before we could go anywhere.  It was crazy because none of us had been to bed since we knew we would have to get up as soon as we tried to sleep.  We were pretty goofy.  My daughter and the girls were on a 6:00 flight and mine was not until 7:15 but they switched it and put us all on the same plane.  Not that it did any good because we were too tired to talk and I was seated ahead of them so it would have been impossible anyways.  When we got to Atlanta…they had to make a quick connection in another terminal and my flight gate was not even assigned yet.  The tears were flowing like crazy. I did not have more severe issues with breathing at the beach but I could hear my wheezing when I walked from the house to the beach, at one time, I thought it was some exotic bird singing and then I realized that if I held my breath, it stopped. 

Ang (Jaxson1) kept me apprised of what was going on at EX, I missed it so much.  I just wanted to reach out to people.  I am not great at texting because my thumbs are really arthritic and the pain is terrible.  I will be getting a smart phone at some point so I can text more easily.  I have no idea if there will be any pictures from the vacation, my daughter’s very expensive digital camera kept fogging up because of the humidity which was really intense.  It would be fine inside of the house and then fog up when she went outside.  Some came out, I think, but not sure how many.  The girls took pics with their iPhones that seemed to come out well.  Now I will just have to ask them to either post them or email them to me. 

Coming home was Hell…I cannot even begin to tell you how much worse it looked after being in a nice, neat little cottage for a week.  It was so crowded when I opened the front door that I could not get my little carry on through the path.  Things are going downhill here and my craves are really surging because I am depressed and frustrated and I so want to stuff those feelings.

I will be easing back into looking at blogs and responding but, for the moment, I am overwhelmed with what I am seeing as my life now that my eyes have once again been opened.  I am not sure what direction I will be going in, I have had so many talks with my husband about this disease (hoarding) and the need to address it but I know that it is beyond his ability and it is also now beyond mine.  I had to come up with the money to pay the electric bill before I left town so the power would not be turned off, the gas WAS turned off when I was gone.  He said that when he called the gas company, they told him to go to the department of social services and they have turned us down in the past.  I am really not sure how anyone lives these days and I am about to take on two new payments in September, one for a Medicare supplement and the other for my partial dentures.  Since we are not making it now, I am really considering postponing my shoulder surgery yet again and asking my boss if she wants me to come back for a couple of days a week.  I have no idea if I can really do it but I feel backed into a corner.  I don’t care about keeping this house, I DO care about keeping SOME of the belongings but they would easily fit into a small storage shed.  I have some things I inherited from family, they probably are of no value to anyone except me but I would like to have them.  I don’t believe that I can salvage this marriage; I don’t believe that I can save myself if I stay here. Our 40th anniversary is in September.

Well now, there was an uplifting blog, sorry about that.  Reality really DOES bite.  I AM glad to be back and I will get my sense of humor back…it is just buried at the moment. I am trying to clean a little at a time, just so there are some spaces that do not completely gross me out.  I have mostly unpacked and now have to clean up my room, I also have to work out since I have not done that since I left.  My love to all!

15 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Actually, you DID work out - those trips to and from the beach and fighting the pull of the waves when you were in the water are BOTH workouts!

I am so sorry you are living in such an impossible situation.  I know more than one person who has dealt with this.  What they do is not rational, so rational arguments don't work.  Getting away for a bit sometimes opens our eyes to what we have been trying to ignore.  I think it would benefit you to find a lawyer.  I know you think you can't afford it - but I don't think you can afford NOT to!.  Do you have family or friends you can go stay with?

I am so proud that you have not smoked through all those triggers!  Stay committed!

Nancy

Jennifer-Quit

Wow - congratuations on 200 days!  And welcome back from your vacation - I really missed you!  So sorry about your personal struggles, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

SkyGirl

Welcome home to EX, Ellen!  We missed you!  I'm so glad that you were able to get away and relax and enjoy yourself for that week.  But I know what you mean about coming home.  It can be a bit of a reality check, to put it mildly.  I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles.  It's very hard to see someone we care about having struggles that we can't fix for them.  But we can give you love and friendship and a safe place to say whatever you want to say.  And we can celebrate your 200 day milestone that you reached on 8/7!!  Congratulations!  I cannot believe that you have 200 days already!  Now THAT is one thing you do have complete control over; your precious Quit.  And I know you will continue to have control over nicotine and to make the choice not to smoke.  You've come too far to ever give it all up in a moment of frustration or sadness, Ellen.  Lean on us during your hard times...that's what we are here for.

xxxooo,   Sky

JonesCarpeDiem

Hugs. I'm glad you don't smoke.

You have a lot on your plate.

Newfound_Joy

First and Foremost............CONGRATS ON YOUR 200 DAYS!!  You are our hero living under the conditions that you are forced to and also dealing with all of your pain.  You are living proof that ANYONE who wants it bad enough, CAN QUIT SMOKING!

Ellen, my heart goes out to you for what you came back home to.  However, everything happens for a reason.  Perhaps this is what you needed to see to OPEN your eyes to how you live.  Only you can make the decision now what you will do about it.  I do know that they have attorneys for low income people if you wanted a consultation.

I am so happy that you got away for a week and enjoyed your vacation!

And, PLEASE, never ever apologize for not writing an uplifting blog.  Sometimes life is what it is.  And that's what we are here for.......a shoulder to lean on or cry on.  I will keep you in my prayers, my dear friend. xoxo

Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome back.  Good blog.

Magstoyou

Congratulations on your 200 Days!!!

Sorry to hear about your life at home!! And you already have your arthritis to deal with!!

(((((((((Huggs))))))))))

Mag390 Days

Strudel

Oh Ellen......I am so sorry you returned to this reality.  Nancy is so right - going away like that and then returning - really would open your eyes. I can't imagine what you are dealing with. I do know, based on what you have shared before, that you have tried everything you can try.

You know how to use this site - blog, vent, blog, vent - all you want! 

I am glad that you enjoyed your trip! You deserved that - so much!! Congrats on 200 days! 

I am also sending you a PM. 

Please take care dear Ellen! 

trudyd

Boy have I MISSED YOU!Glad you loved your vacation but I can only imagine the depression returning home..... things here have escalated hoping to sell and rent crying,ill,shaking all the time state police said he wished he could help me but the laws in NY for harassment involve shoving,pushing,hitting and bullying does not pertain outside of school or work go figure............again I thought of you everyday and I am glad to hear from you maybe together we can help each other find our way and a "new" start!

sparky26

Missed you , congrats on 200 days. You know you can't fix other people's problems for them, time you take care of Ellen she deserves to be happy.

Love Donna

phyllis-12-7-15

HUGS and Welcome back. Congratulations on 200 DOF

Not every blog is all sweetness and light because life isn't either. One thing I have learned from our EX Family is things are going to happen whether we smoke or not. Keep choosing not.

moody_9-18-13

I knew you would have a wonderful time with your daughter and granddaughter. If anyone ever deserved a vacation in paradise, it's YOU.

Love and huge hugs,

Moody

OxfordComa

Congrats on your 200 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is SO AWESOME!!!!!!

Vent, vent, vent! Let it out! Keep up that resolve, lady! You are improving your life and the lives of your family by sticking to your quit! We're here to listen without judgement.

I am so impressed that you've been able to honor and care for yourself so well with this quit, despite all of the huge stressors going on in your life. You are totally my smoke-free rolemodel. ❤️ 

zackie09_51214

Congrats on 200 days Ellen. I'm really sorry to hear about the stuff you had to come back to. At least you got away from it and had a good vacation. I hope that things start to look up for you. I know the feeling of having your back up against the wall. Hope to hear from you soon

Zackie

jacks1125

welcome home,and congrat on your 200 days,glad u are safe!!

About the Author
Retired RN, worked ICU/ER developed RA in early 90's, unable to work because of brittle bones from high dose steroids. Diagnosed with COPD 5 yrs ago but sure it was there and progressing long before. Live with severe chronic pain, degenerative disc disease, had both upper lobes of my lungs removed in 2015. Struggle with shortness of breath. Work in son's cafe as a cashier 2 days a week to be around people. I am a people/animal person. Lost my home and three cats in a fire on my ten month anniversary of quitting smoking. Never thought of smoking, knew it wouldn't help anything.