cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

At the pool.....

exsmokermom
0 4 7

This morning, I decided to go swimming at the local pool. While there, I saw a sign in the office: "Motivation gets you started, habit keeps you going"  It reminds me of quitting smoking; we all have our motivation to quit and become a non-smoker, then being a non-smoker becomes a habit and keeps us going.

Any comments?

4 Comments
YoungAtHeart

We relearn life as an ex-smoker and that does replace the old smoking part that was  habit, in time.  It's more than that, though.  Commitment plays a HUGE role - because we willl always be addicts and must remain vigilant.  Complacency can lead to trouble!

Nancy

elvan

Nancy is right, this is a journey to recovery and we have to do this one day at a time and one step at a time.  Becoming a nonsmoker DOES become a habit...keep repeating, "I don't do that any more."  We will always be faced with triggers and situations that require us to really pay attention and hang onto our quits.  

tbird7

I love this way of looking at it. 

hwc

There are so many layers to nicotine addiction, both physical and psychological. I don't think it's the "habit" of not smoking. Rather, I think that many of us develop a strong satisfaction in being an ex-smoker. It's a wonderful thing and that become self-reinforcing.

I found a similar experience when I lost some weight (90 lbs) and started exercising. Now, when I walk past the bin of red licorice or whatever in the grocery store, I glance and think, "I'm a fit person. Fit people don't buy red licorice...." It's a little bit habit, but more self-image and affirmation.