cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Another question...

ralphh11
0 9 54

So... did anyone experience borderline blood pressure (I mean higher than normal - prehypertensive range) after quitting? Everywhere I have been reading, it should be at normal... however, mine has been fluctuating between normal and 145/90'ish fo rthe past week. Heart rate doesn't go up much anymore, that is to say, it has been at normal 65-90 all the time.

9 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

I would talk with your dr about it.

As a smoker, I never did too much about going to the dr. Couldn't afford it even though I was paying $20k/yr for catastophic health insurance with high deductibles.

I know now that I let a lot of things go unchecked and untreated.

I would advise that you have a good blood panel taken within 6 months of your quit and see if your readings are in normal ranges.

YoungAtHeart

It took almost three years for my blood pressure to lower to the point where I don't need medication - so I think maybe your body is still adjusting to life without nicotine.

Be patient - you have a bit to go!!

Nancy

ralphh11

Dale - I had two check-ups with two different doctors, a complete blood panel, CT scan, and EKG done within weeks of quitting. Everything was normal even at that time. All the symptoms of withdrawal (or whatever it is) are getting better and better... just intermittent issues now with what seems like borderline high pressure. It was 139/85 when I went into the doctor and he said he's not going to worry about it...

TerrieQuit

Hi Ralph, Keep your Dr. posted, if you are worried. Try not to worry too much. All of our quits are different and each body does different stuff! Keep an eye on it! You are doing great with 30 days!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

ralphh11

One thing I have noticed over the past several days... I have a voracious appetite. Feel like I could eat a house (and sometimes feel like I do). Wonder if the increased appetite and small weight gain over the past few days might have something to do with it. Up until the past several days, I felt fine in that regard... but am getting hungrier.

elvan

My blood pressure didn't change...I would keep the doc in the loop and limit your salt intake, having a voracious appetite is fine as long as it is not really high in sodium or sugar.  You are going to do fine, Ralph!  Hang in there, right now you are placing the blame for every thing on stopping smoking, just wait until you start CREDITING everything on stopping, it will happen!

johio

My BP went to normal...Keep your Doctor in the loop

JonesCarpeDiem

we get dopamine when we think of food. we got dopamine when we smoked,

funny part is, if you get the dopamine release before you eat the food, there's no need to eat voraciously. Slow it down and see.

Thomas3.20.2010

You can have all of the veggies you want! Exercise is another geat source of dopamine and wonderful for blood pressure at the same time!