cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Anonymous revealed.........

Ben3
0 18 31
  Unfortunately it was me that relapsed recently. I am however back on track and smoke free. Back in grade school I had a teacher give us a assignment where we had to report about current events for homework. We had to do Who, What, Where, Why and How for the event we were reporting on. I think it would be beneficial for myself to do the same with my relapse so other people can understand what exactly transpired. So here I go:

Who: Ben AKA Tin Man

What: I relapsed into smoking after being smoke free for close to two and a half years.

How: I chose to smoke fifteen Black and Mild cigars over the course of several days. On  the Friday of June twenty fourth NYS passed the SSM bill that legalized gay marriage. I wanted to celebrate so I bought a pack of five Black and Mild cigars. I think I smoked one or two that night. I finished smoking the pack of cigars that Saturday. I wasn't concerned since they were not cigarettes and I never really liked smoking cigars so I thought i was allot less likely to fully relapse into smoking again. Two or three days passed by and I decided to smoke another five cigars by buying another pack from the store. I bought another pack on Thursday June thirtieth. I smoked four on Thursday which left me with one left for Friday. 

I woke on Friday July first and smoked half of the remaining cigar. I drove to work and couldn't find the half cigar that I brought with me to work. I spent four to five minutes searching my truck with no luck. All morning while I worked I was wondering where that cigar went to because I was going through withdrawals. At this point was when the light bulb went off in my head and I knew I had messed up. I had a decision to make which was keep on feeding the addiction by completely relapsing or go through withdrawal and salvage my quit. I found the cigar at lunch time and smoked the rest of it. I knew from experience from the last time I relapsed that it would be in my best interest  to stop feeding the addiction right there so I decided not to buy any form of nicotine from the store.

I got home from work on Friday and out of desperation trying to get my next fix I smoked the remainder of the cigar butts that I had in my ashtray all the way down to the plastic mouth piece. As the night progressed I was reduced to scavenging the tobacco out of the mouth pieces and smoking the tobacco in a pipe that I had laying around. I felt like an heroin junkie trying to get my next fix. Early Saturday morning I wrote my first relapse blog on here as "Anonymous" and have been clean ever since.

Where: Most of the smoking happened at my house but did some at work as well.

Why: I left this one for last because this one I believe is the most important of all. I chose to relapse by making the decision to smoke. Im not very surprised I relapsed since I was toying with the idea of smoking in my head for a week or two before I smoked that first cigar. Why go back to smoking after two and a half years being smoke free? Reason number one is I got bored with my quit. All the hard work was behind me and I felt like I was punching air. When I was a smoker I smoked forty cigarettes day in and day out. By the time I decided I wanted to quit smoking I was so sick and bored with smoking at the time I wanted nothing to do with them anymore. Fast forward two and a half smoke free years later and smoking seem sorta interesting again since I hadn't done it in such a long time.

Reason number two is I live with untreated social anxiety. It's so bad that it controls every single facet of my life and every decision I make on a daily basis. It also affects my ability to talk in awkward situations because my voice box freezes solid so I cant talk even if I want to say something (Selective Mutism). Talking to people gives me panic attacks so I avoid socializing at all cost. The Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz would be a much more fitting avatar for me than the Tin Man. My lack of socializing leads to depression and me feeling invalidated since I am not receiving the validation I would be getting by talking to people. Without the validation from socializing with people I have to seek out validation from other sources. In the past I have sought out the validation I crave by eating, drinking, smoking, stealing and doing drugs to make myself feel better. When I made the choice to relapse by smoking those cigars I was seeking out validation through smoking.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            This blog is long enough. Im going to publish it now. To be continued……..
18 Comments
Bonnie11.3.2009

You've been romancing the smokes, for sure.  Thinking of cigars as a way to celebrate and smoking as "validation"!!!??!  You need to take some time and think this thru so this doesn't happen again.  Smoking is not a way to celebrate, smoking is a killer!  Period.  How can smoking validate you, how can it do anything positive for you?  Smoking is an addiction.  Period. 

Glad you're back, Ben!  Good for you for getting right back on your quit.  Maybe some time on whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com will be helpful as you sort this out and move forward with your quit again.

JonesCarpeDiem

Sounds like a bad movie doesn't it?

Boredom Yes

So it seems you were ok for 2 1/2 years. How did you cope with your social anxiety, etc. then?

maggie_8-1-2010

Hi Ben! So good to know who you are now. I really enjoyed reading this blog and appreciate that you shared your story with us. So I guess your official date of quitting this time is Jul 2nd 2011? Message me if that is wrong. We are collecting quit dates for celebrating milestones. Thanks!

You know the drill already. Just stay close and blog often or reach out to others thru messages. Either way stay close. I understqand about the feeling validated thing. I stay pertty close to myself also. Except I'm here every day!  I'm so grateful for this site. I'm close to 1 year quit now and feeling very proud of myself. So basically I validated myself by quitting! Chew on that for a bit. Take care. You CAN do this!

Dakota_Posse

Hi Ben!   Thank you for sharing your relapse with us.....I know it will make a difference to someone out there.  Two and a half years....wow!  I hope this shows everyone (it did me) that we will always BE nicotine addicts so we can never "relax" our quit!  WOW!  

THANK YOU Ben for sharing....I know now that I cannot be lax as time goes by....in fact, I need to be stronger!  I'm sorry that you had a relapse, but I'm glad that you are back on your quit!  Please know that your relapse wasn't a total failure....it has opened my eyes and shown me that I can NEVER think that I'm "home free" from this addiction!

Thank you for your honesty Ben!

Cindy

empathy

Welcome  here to "home" anytime!    Tammy

Alice23

Cindy is SO right Ben.  Your honesty has opened our eyes to how fragile this quit is.

Thank you for having the courage to share your story with us. 

I'm only 60some days in - I know how fragile this quit feels from this side!

You hang in there - stay away from "that" store - and blog here when you feel bored again!

newlife5

it was the law of addiction .. when you chose to break that law you became an addict all over again...

i am so proud of you to find the courage to admit your weakness and begin the healing process...

i know that wasnt easy at all

nancympearson

Hello Ben, I am so proud of you!!!! Your courage in sharing yourself in this blog shows how strong you've become...Being your quit buddy, has been one of the reasons i haven't relapsed. We have gone through some mighty changes since 2009 and all of that smoke free, so when you told me you had relapsed I was pretty sad for you. I didn't know what i could say or do to help you through it all. I was just there to listen and hope. You made up your mind to quit again and you stuck with it...I applaud your courage and your willingness to help other people stay quit through your honesty and empathy. You have made me thank God that I am still smoke free and that the occasional whinning  for a cigarette is really a waste of breath. Now I too know what can happen thanks to you....To my best friend: I salute you!!!

melissa131

That was a very well written blog. I know it affected me, and probably I will still be thinking about it down the road. 

Thanks. 

The social anxiety part I can really relate too, and I think a lot of us can..in my case I talk too much. IT is like the opposite, another form of being shy, if I think someone may not like me, I just rattle on and on...it's terrible. A boyfriend of mine pointed out, I tend to light cigarettes when I am around other people, then when I quit- when I was pregnant, and wrote down every cigarette, I really noticed that when people came around the urge gets way stronger. 

But you are back here, and I think your blog is very important, and thanks again. 

Giulia

Crap.  Sorry Ben.  Glad you haven't just chucked it all.  That would have been so easy to do.   Coming clean is the best thing to do.  You'll be fine.  This was just a glitch in the system.  Please come bang on my door if your're having a hard time.  I'm not on here all that much, but I do get notified if someone comes to my page.  The quicker one gets back up in the saddle, the easier the ride remembered.  Hang tight.  We old timers know it could happen to any of us.  I don't ever consider myself immune from relapsing.  Thanks for reminding me how delicate it is.  And it's nice to have you back posting.  You have new wisdom to offer others now.

james41

You'll get there again. Just hang in there. As Always ,, James

lynette9

Ben, Thanks for sharing....

Perhaps a refresher at the www.quitsmokingonline.com or www.whyquit.com sites are in order?

I think reading is the best thing to do for our addiction. I'm sorry about your social anxiety issues. Why aren't you being treated for that by a doctor? This makes me scratch my head as there are many meds to counteract this issue.

Just sayin'.....

MarcieWhosoever

Ben I didnt get a chance to know you before. Im sorry you relapsed but so glad you told your story. We need to see how easy it is to go back to that even after that amount of time has passed. Thank you for sharing.

I too have had social anxiety and severe panic attacks in public. I have heard of selective mutism because I met a kid recently that will only talk to other children (or only CAN talk to other children). Anyways, I went from feeling "normal" to these sudden horrible panic attacks. Thankfully I got help fast. I am 100% better now. I couldnt even function there for a while. I know about it controlling every aspect of your life. If you ever need to talk about these panic attacks or want to know more about how I got better, please dont hesitate to private message me.

Thanks again for your story. so glad you are quitting again. glad you caught yourself very quickly 🙂

Marcie - NOT ONE HIT SINCE THE DAY I QUIT! Three Months, Two Days, 6 Hours and 14 Minutes, while extending my life 9 Days and 17 Hours, by not smoking 2798 cigarettes that would have cost me $280.86.

Julia_Amy

Hi Ben,

You talked about boredom...I can sure relate to that.  I have stopped smoking in the past for greater than a year and I started again when the quit became easy.  I remember thinking  "not smoking, so what now?" within a couple of months I was smoking.  What made me light up that first smoke doesn't matter.  It was inevitable after I thought "so what?"  It took me years to stop again!  You got right back to it!  Good for you! 

Strudel

Ben - I admire the guts I know it took to come back - back to your quit and back to the site. I agree with Peggy - I think that hanging out here really can make a difference in keeping us focused on this quit business. So - I sure hope you will stick around. Take care!

Kathy

amandalee2

I also relapsed after 2 1/2 yrs. I chose to start smoking again last november. I could kick myself right in  the butt, which I'm sure you could too. The thing I am going to do differently is to not let my guard down this time, and continue to educate myself throughout this process.  Good luck to you.....we can do this

jojo_2-24-11

Ben, thanks for sharing.

lilmom88

Ben I am so glad I read this, I just wrote a blog regarding my relapse and what you said is what I didnt say, I just started again because I thought I missed it and could just have one once in awhile. WRONG!! No excuses on my part, so I am trying again. I will remember to not take it for granted this time and stay with my quit.

Lilmom88