cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Anger and other enemies

elvan
5 16 34

I remember going to an Alanon meeting years and years ago and a woman was speaking about anger.  She said that she had gotten so angry a couple of days before that she could FEEL the blood pulsing in her forehead.  She was angry because she had told her son and husband over and over and over again NOT to leave their dishes and laundry, etc sitting around for her to pick up because she is NOT their maid.  She decided she was going to TIME how long it took her to pick up after them and she was going to CHARGE them for it, either in financial restitution or by making them do something for HER that took an equal amount of time.  She started timing and angrily picking up and putting things away and when she finished, she checked the time thinking that she would have some sort of HUGE reward coming.  It took her a total of 6 1/2 minutes.  She said that after that the slogan, "How important IS it?" became clear to her and she knew that nothing was as important as it first seems through the veil of anger.  What REALLY would change if you smoked?  Would you no longer be angry?  I think you would be angry with yourself and whatever the original catalyst was...don't give your quit away.

16 Comments
Storm.3.1.14

This is...perfection! Just...wow!

Eric_L.

I've discovered with alcohol, sex, drugs, nicotine, downloading music, wanting to reconnect with old friends, etc. is that all of those things can be healthy or unhealthy behaviours depending upon me (I'd argue that for me alcohol, drugs and nicotine ought to be completely off limits).  I started using all of those items the way that I do and they made my life great and then they turned into something I had to do to feel okay.

The off limits ones are offlimits.

With the other ones I have to pray that, for example, God make reconnecting with old friends something fun and exciting to look forward to instead of something I have to do to feel okay.  Then I try to focus on doing the next right thing.

I try to let God do the heavy lifting for me with varying degrees of success.  But, it is a blessing.

cpsono

This makes so much sense!  Thanks for the reminder    CP

Giulia

Wonderful lesson! 

constanceclum

I learned to pick my battles over 30 yrs. ago through raising children. A lesson I've never forgot.

Connie

Thomas3.20.2010

If I were her I'd go on strike! If she stopped doing those things at all she would probably get their attention rather rapidly! Smoking never fixes anything! We just hide the stuff under a smoke cloud! Smoking Cessation means learning how to do feelings honestly. 

Thank You for this wonderful Blog, Ellen!

YoungAtHeart

So very interesting about picking your battles......perhaps a lot of our anger can be set aside.  People can be self-centered; they can be clueless, they can be rude.  WE can choose how to respond to them!

Great blog!

Nancy

MarilynH

Thank you my dear friend for sharing with wonderful inspiring blog and it's definitely 100 % true. Thanks again my friend. 

hampton

This made my day!!!!      🙂

Strudel

Perfect story - thank you Ellen!! 

djmurray

Awesome blog -- and when we ask "how important is it" we know that our quits are among the most important things in our lives. 

Newfound_Joy

Great story to tell to put everything in perspective.  How important is it?  She could retrain her thinking and consider it joy to be able to help and serve others.  Still, team work is needed so that they do things for her also.

summer-07-06-15

that's what gets me in trouble. the anger, it's taking the time to in the middle of being angry that i need to work on, so I don't give up my quit. thanks for the post.

freeneasy

True wisdom. Although, if it were me, I may have picked up their stuff and hid it....maybe that would have "learned em"  (-:

bonniebee

Thanks wise lady for another great blog i need to hear about anger solutions it really gets me !

OxfordComa

I love your insight ❤️

About the Author
Retired RN, worked ICU/ER developed RA in early 90's, unable to work because of brittle bones from high dose steroids. Diagnosed with COPD 5 yrs ago but sure it was there and progressing long before. Live with severe chronic pain, degenerative disc disease, had both upper lobes of my lungs removed in 2015. Struggle with shortness of breath. Work in son's cafe as a cashier 2 days a week to be around people. I am a people/animal person. Lost my home and three cats in a fire on my ten month anniversary of quitting smoking. Never thought of smoking, knew it wouldn't help anything.