cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Almost there but having major anxiety

bassano
0 13 168

OK so I have been working the plan for the past 3 weeks and have broken all the habits and as a result already cut way down to under 10 cigarettes a day. I am mentally ready. I finished a pack this morning and said "well this might as well be it." and did OK until 5-6pm. I just got nervous and talked myself into not being quite ready so went out and bought another pack. I am having major anxiety about quitting. I don't know why, yet.  Am I afraid I can't do it? No, I know I can. Am I afraid I am going to miss out on something? Highly doubtful. Am I afraid it will be hard? I love a challenge - just tell me I can't do something. I dare you! What am I so afraid of? Why am I so anxious? My official quit date is Friday. I have to get this worked out by then!

13 Comments
salsa

You will do it, stick with Friday....... Just get through Friday and your going to find out that day 2 will be a bit easier. Don't jump the gun keep reading and gettting ready. Are all your tools together?

bassano

All the tools are there. I do have to dispose of the paraphanelia.  I do wish I could sleep for the first two weeks or be stranded on a fabulous tropical island!

Hang in there too! I know you can do it!

salsa

I am planning to set the house up tomorrow. There is one bad area (the porch). I plan to rearrange the furniture and sit out there in the morning with no cig for 10 minutes before leaving the house for the gym. If I can't go our there for a couple of weeks so be it.

salsa

I'm adding you to my friend list. I will ck in with you on Friday. Your comment about sleep made me want to go and crawl in now. Your going to do great!!!

hwc

I have to get this worked out by then!

You'll never have it all worked out in advance. That's not what quitting smoking is like. You just have to jump in, like diving off a high board or a clifff for the first time. You hit the water and just start paddling like hell.

tifforr2004

I had major anxiety too. I was like being told I was learning to swin by being thrown in the ocean. I felt like I was losing my best friend. The anxiety passes, and its not as bad as you think it will be. The key for me was to distract myself as much as possible and keep my hands busy. I smoked more than a pack a day and I'm on day 17 of my quit. Its not always easy but it is possible. Just take it hour by hour and try not to think too far ahead. You can do it!

onedayatatime2

Take the plunge!!!!  You will do fine.  Just do it for one day--you can do anything for one day!!!Think about nothing else--just that one day and decide to NOT SMOKE for that one day.  I have been quit for a little over 2 weeks and been feeling like wanting to smoke--its the addiction talking bc it makes no sense.  I will not listen to it.  I find something else to do and just don't smoke.  Pretty soon the day is over and a new one begins.  Has worked for me.  Remember YOU CAN DO THIS.  IT IS DOABLE!!!!!!!!!

I believe in YOU!!

Abby

judy41

Friday's my day too, and experiencing all the same feelings.  Let's do one day at a time!

lovebrowns

Friday is my day too!  I am quitting with another friend.  I know what you mean, I'm nervous about it too, but I'm also psyched.  This will be my second time quitting in 4 years and I hope I can do it for good this time.

hman_53

I stopped Dec 12,2009.Been doing pretty well i guess.I have the patch and the gum.I stop wearing the patch.It seems the gum helps more.But i feel i depend on the gum to much.Wondering if i should try without the gum.I dont want to stopone habit to pick up another.My Wife stopped Dec 1,2009.And she been stop the patch for quite a while.And chew a gum now and then.Seems she handling it better than i am.I feel because i'am disabled and in the chair most of the time,a cigarette is like a companion.But i still haven't smoked.And i dont miss paying for them at all.

debrazgalaxy

There is NO easy way to quit~ 

i am a 35 yr smoker...on 10 1/2 week quit so far

The jump to just NOT light another smoke IS THE toughest part.  EVERY  hour/day/week that passes is A BALM in helping you continue a quit.

EVERY anxiety attack YOUR body manufactures is JUST a physical sensation that cause EMOTIONAL respones...if YOU let it. Choose to OWN the sensations as what they are... your body LEARENING to produce ballanced hormones and chemicals again  (c:

IT HURTS to quit~  HOWEVER...the hurt..angst and insomnia of quiting will NOT    be permanent.  JUST KNOW that  all you will feel IS NORMAL.  Millions of people SURVIVE quiting!!!  YOU will TOO. 

I have  several  blah moments a day still...that I   LIFT my self  from with positive  feedback to myself~  AND   PRAYER.

YOU ALL can do IT!!!!  deb~

smellingood

You can do it. I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day. I haven't smoked since 1-20-2009. I'm looking forward to my year of being smoke free.

I still get the urge to smoke sometimes but i continue with the method that has gotten me this far, I don't give in. I found that if i wait, the desire will pass.

hman_53

Stopped Dec 12 and still going pretty strong.I find sugarless gum is good also.They flavor lasts a long time.Take Care all and good Luck.