cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Almost five months! Happy Halloween!

OxfordComa
0 5 19

I am 95% doing awesome, so the whinning that is about to happen? It's only like 5% of the time. I'm really proud that I've made it five months with only 1 slip up. I am not going to slip again, but I keep having dreams. Dreams of bumming a cigarette. They are so real that when I wake up, it feels like they happened and I have to shake off an onslaught of fear and sadness. I chant to myself "It's just a dream" and "It didn't happen". But it's definitely throwing me off my game. 

5 Comments
kristine5-27-14

Your drive and fighting spirit have been an inspiration to me from day one of my quit.  I haven't seen you back down from a challenge yet, and even if you have slipped up, you haven't fallen off the wagon! Keep fighting the good fight my friend. Good things (like a smoke free life!) come to those who wait! ♥

YoungAtHeart

I am not really sure how far along you are in your journey, since the slip actually starts your receptor clock at zero again............I think you are traveling through No Mans Land - so you need to remain vigilant for out of the blue intense craves to hit!  As long as you are prepared and use the tools that worked early in your quit, they will have no power over you.

That said, don't let those smokemares do anything but remind you how happy you are to not be smoking.  You know that feeling you have when you think it's REAL?  That WILL be real if you started to smoke again.  No one knows, really, what causes you to have those dreams - as a matter of fact, I am still having one every once in awhile at 2+ years quit.  Maybe it is the addict within just using it's dying breaths to get us started again?

Hang in there - it gets easier and easier!

Nancy

hellbilly_va2

It took me about 3 years to stop having those smoking dreams. The guilt I would feel for smoking or bumming a cigarette in my dream would usually be strong enough to wake me up. Eventually they got less and less intense, until the point when it didn't even phase me anymore. Then they stopped. From that point on is when I considered myself truely smoke free. Now I don't even think about smoking, subconsciously or otherwise. Keep up the good work you're doing great.

constanceclum

I have smoking dreams too but I do ot even have 1 mo. yet. However I have been in AA for yrs. and we also have drinking dreams. I just think it is because we spend a large amt. of time during our awake times thinking about smoking it's natural that we would dream about them. The important thing is not to smoke over them.

elvan

So proud of you for getting this far..the dreams are weird and a lot of people are tormented by them.  I can't say that I have much experience with them, I have had very few..OR I don't remember them when I wake up.

You are allowed 5% whining time.

About the Author
I recently experienced grief and started smoking again. I'm looking to get back on that ex train and use healthier coping mechanisms.