cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Almost done!

nati80
0 4 14

Day one is almost through. I have had my ups and downs on cravings. My boyfriend came home and asked me how I was doing on not smoking. Truth be told I know I did better than he did. He apparently found 2 small cigarettes in his ashtray and as he states "refried" them. Then he apparently found a pack that still had smokes. He says that he didn't smoke any of them. I went through this entire day without smoking. I am very proud of myself, even though I have noticed that I am so on edge. All I can conclude is smoking is very psychological. It is all in one person's head. If someone thinks about smoking, the next thing they know, they are doing just that. The idea to quitting is to not think about smoking.

4 Comments
YoungAtHeart

I hope you spend some time doing some of the reading previously mentioned.  They make great crave busters, too.

You are doing a GREAT job of changing things up.  Try to get some exercise in your day, if you can.  Use distraction as a tool to get past a craving.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!"

Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it!

Congratulations on your decision to quit!  Now honor it - sometimes it will be an hour at a time, but they do add up!

Nancy

karen230

Not thinking about smoking is the key for me. When a thought of smoking arrives the best thing for me is to let that thought float right out of my head. If I allow it to stay it will turn into a battle in my head. I'm done fighting with myself, so I just let it go and move on to some other thought. In the first week of my quit those thoughts came often because I was conditioned to associate smoking with so many things in my day. It was difficult to keep refocusing or distracting myself from those thoughts. But with each passing day the thoughts came less and less often. 

Congrats on a successful day one! You can ddo this...one day at a time!

johio

Awesome job....the first step on a journey you will never forget.

vixter74

You got this.. I am on day 4, day3 was the worst day so far

power through it!! You got this! My fiance stil smokes, yuck!!