cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Almost 6 months and I owe it to my friends on this site. Thank you!! ((hugs))

kellie3
1 5 16

I am coming up on 6 months smoke free and I am proud of myself.  With everything that has happened this year I would have never gave me a chance to be a sucessful Ex Smoker.

I have been reading some of the newest blogs and I remember struggling like that.  Those early days are so tough.  There will be moments that you think this will be impossible.  I promise it's not.  Don't fall into traps.  Don't fall for triggers.  Be prepared for unexpected cravings.  Don't put yourself into situations that will make you crave.  Don't use stress or emotions for your reason to go back to smoking.  Smoking never cured stress.  Smoking never made a fight with your husband or boyfriend less emotional.  Smoking never brought back a lost realitive or made a sick friend better.

I am a 47 year old woman.  I had lung disease in my family (both parents died of complications of emphysema) and thought that I had time to quit smoking before I suffered any of those problems.  In June this year I went to the doctor with a cold that wouldn't go away, after an Exray the Doctor informed me I had lung disease.  I quit smoking on the way home and haven't had a cigarette since.  Since then the diagnoses changed to Severe Emphysema and COPD.  If you aren't sure what that is..... It is a progressive disease that sooner rather than later will kill me.

I am telling you... If I can quit smoking ANYONE can.  This disease does not care who it targets.  It is not the wrinkly old man down the street or the lady at the smoke shop with brown teeth.  It is you, your mother or father.  It can even be your children.

Don't let an addiction come between you and the ones you love.  How often while smoking did you excuse yourself from the crowd to go smoke?  How many times did you postpone reading a book to your kids because you needed to go smoke?  Think of all the time smoking took up in your life.  I know in mine it was getting ridiculous.

I waited too long to quit before any harm was done.  Now there are days that I can't go outside.  Well, I can go outside but if the air quality is bad and I am out long enough then by that night I will be gasping for breath and my throat will burn like I drank battery acid.  I can't  take my most adorable granddaughter for walks anymore.  I can't wear perfume, I can't use most household cleaners, I can't even be around strong smelling foods cooking.

I have a grim future.  They do tell me because of my young age and the severity of my emphysema I am a good candidate for transplant surgery.  How scary is that??!! O M G
I was a tennis player.  My husband and I were on a softball team.  I used to water ski in the summer and play ice hockey in the winter.  Of course before/during and after I smoked.

This is a great site.  There are some people here who have years of experience to share with you.  Reach out to them.  Read lots of blogs, visit many pages and read people's stories.  Come and ask for help and be there to support the ones you can.  The more you understand we all are going through the same thing, the easier it will be for you. 

I wish you much luck and determination and if I can be of any help... come to my page and Holler. 🙂

5 Comments