cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Almost 3 weeks!

stacycatt
0 12 1

I'm so happy to get this far...my many thanks to the academy.........Haven't been feeling good lately.  MS stuff goin on and got doc appt Mon. so can't wait to get some relief.  Feeling like this makes me tired and especially sore so not smoking is a huge deal.  Be lost without the gum.  And pain meds of course.  This issue will resolve, I don't want to sit here bitching about how sore my body is with all the stuff wrong so I just haven't said anything but to a few people.  Have a great day everybody!!!!

12 Comments
crazybabi3-2

I hope you feel better soon and awesome job on the 3 weeks.

YoungAtHeart

The Academy is happy to present you with  the THREE week award. 

I am so sorry you have to deal with the health challenges.  I am glad you are able to see the doctor tomorrow and hope they will be able to provide some relief.  I KNOW they are happy you have quit smoking.  And I know that you know that smoking would not do one positive thing for you in all this.

I hope you are not substituting the gum for each craving.  After the doctor's tomorrow, it might be a good idea to try to put off using each piece just a bit and to keep track of when you use it (the same exercises used when you are quitting smoking).  I have heard bad stories about folks that have become addicted to the gum and I don't want you to be one of those stories in the future!  If you aren't ready quite yet to start that, it's OK - but please do keep it in mind.

Nancy

stacycatt

Thanks Nancy, Great advice.  I'm am not ready yet to cut back on the gum especially when I feel like I do.  There is no escaping the pain and other problems associated with MS and when I'm having a relapse, all is magnified what seems like 100-fold.  Yes, my doc will be thrilled I quit as he always ragged at me and said quitting would help the pain but so far it has not.  I'm not surprised.  I'm one of my doc's most challenging patients because my disease was always so active.  The lesions or scarring are so very many and so old now that no treatment will help me.

Saw another neuro once and she told me I'm too far gone for her to help me.  Her exact words and I left with a feeling of disgust, a bit of fear, and respect that she was honest with me.  It's tough having a disease that lots have heard of or know someone with but it's not common and though my little sister has it too, we're uncommon too even though chances of developing MS increase if a sibling already has it.  There's not enough money given to study and cure it like there is for breast cancer.  Yes breast cancer is much more common and in my opinion worse than MS, it still stinks that they still can't figure out what causes MS.

it took docs 7 years to diagnose me and I was relieved something was wrong because I had all kinds of wacky problems like double and blurred vision, a nasty case of vertigo that kept me on the couch for a week, and other stuff I don't remember anymore but these are all things I never went to the doc for and when I did go they said I had this that and the other thing.  My GP told me it was all in my head which ticked me off but a year later I went back in tears barely able to walk and she sent me to a neuro at the hospital and the rest is history.  It's been tough dealing with an incurable illness but I could have it so much worse and that alone keeps me okay and positive. 

moody_9-18-13

Keep moving forward...you ARE doing this! Congratulations on 3 weeks!

candylance

Stacy, congratulations on 3 weeks! I've been told if one doctor doesn't give you hope, try another and another. Go to a major hospital. I'm lucky to be near Duke, and I can always go there if things don't work out closer to me. One day at a time. Write me anytime, and I'll be glad to listen like you have done for me.

Love you,

Candy     d138

freeneasy

Great job on 3weeks-one day at a time. It is nice to go to the doc and report that you quit .I just had eye surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago and the anesthetist asked me to open my mouth and stick out my tongue! Try to stay positive and keep blogging.

Barbara145

Are you aware of the supplement D-3?  Has your Doctor checked your D-3 level?  It is oh, so important.  Your pain will definitely get better with not smoking.  Smoking causes inflammation which causes pain.  I had an MRI last summer for dizziness and passing out.  The changes in my brain that look like MS are from smoking.  As soon as I stopped(within 2 weeks)  no more passing out .  Congratulations on 3 weeks.  You are doing wonderfully.  Feel better.  

marilyn_marmac

A BIG Congratulations on 3 weeks! It's hard to have health issues and deal with the emotions of quitting. Although it may be hard to believe at the momet, quitting will help your health issues in the long run.

JRC

Three weeks is fantastic!! You are to be congratulated!!

The neuro said there wasn't anything she could do for you, but maybe a different neorologist could.

Hoping you find some relief tomorrow.

GreenThumb3

Congrats on 3 weeks I will talk to you soon (: 

Strudel

Congrats on 3 weeks! I hope things go well at the doctor. Please keep us posted.....and I hope you feel better soon! 

stacycatt

Thanks all for your comments.  Please know I'm not looking for sympathy when I talk about my pain and disease.  We all have something to deal with and mine isn't the worst.  I've read that one in four adults lives with chronic pain and that's bad enough and just means I'm just part of the one quarter of people in pain.  They have medicine for that thank God so it's not all bad.  Quitting smoking is the single hardest thing I've done.  And though I don't consider myself 'quit' yet because of the gum, I at least don't inhale poison anymore up to 2 packs a day.  Thanks for all the encouragement.  You guys keep me going and motivated!!!