cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

After Meal Smokers

djarmstrong2016
0 12 63

Im sure everyone has different methods of preventing to smoke after meals if they do or used to. What are some different methods to prevent smoking after eating? Right now ,I'm just eating lighter

12 Comments
brittann3

I read somewhere that if you brush your teeth after eating then it helps with the craving and habit of smoking after eating... and I think it also is something to do right after eating that distracts me. Instead of getting up and going out to smoke I go upstairs to brush my teeth. It gives me those several minutes to push past the craving too.

JonesCarpeDiem

It's dangerous to eat a lighter. Throw them away!

bacardigirl

Dale, you are too funny! What I do after a meal? Go for a walk, get in a little exercise and the craving passes.

RachelMB

Dale-you are definitely a funny guy! 🙂

This is definitely where I have struggled.  I have been immediately starting to do the dishes, getting my daughter's lunch together, anything to keep me from going outside to smoke.  The craving passes.  For me it's been about distracting myself for a few minutes.

djarmstrong2016

Yeah I noticed Dales responses are comical.lol

Nice way of distractions Brittann3 & bacardigirl

Thomas3.20.2010

Chewing gum is a good way to finish a meal. I like strong flavors such as clove gum but peppermint is good too!

MePlus3
I'm surprised no one mentioned eating a mint or a peice of gum. I used to use my NRT gum after meals. Now I sip a beverage. Also doing the dishes help tremendously.
YoungAtHeart

You can get right up from the table and start to clear it, then get the dishes taken care of (you can't smoke with wet hands!), then maybe set things up for breakfast the next day.  Weather permitting, a walk is an excellent idea. 

You are relearning your life as an ex-smoker, and finding things to do to change your associations with smoking.   I am sure you can come up with some ideas of your own.too.

Nancy

tjanddj

Instead of going outside for a smoke it was straight to the kitchen for cleaning up. Left overs to be put away. dishes to be done. Counters to be cleaned. Floor to be swept and floor to be mopped. (I have a steamer love it!) Smoking wasn't an option for me but finding something else to do was an option and so I did.

shashort

Hahaha Dale you are too funny. I put mint in my mouth and immediately start cleaning the kitchen.

Summer-Rain

I brush my teeth LOL

The journey continues

JACKIE1-25-15

Have some gum readyto chew after the meal. replace the cig with ice cold water.  Get up and walk after meal.