cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Advice

natch-la.
0 5 63

I AM TRYING TO QUIT A TWO PACK A DAY HABIT . I CONTINUALLY FEEL THE URGE TO HAVE  SOMETHING IN MY HANDS AND MOUTH  CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON GOOD SUBSTITUTES.

5 Comments
vcrawford001

Try munching on celery sticks cut down to cigarette size

gvk123

Hey, one good thing to have are baby carrots or cinammon sticks. The carrots will keep your hands and mouths busy and it's healthy. If you want a good taste, try the cinammon sticks. Something that is EXTREMELY helpful (well to me at least), is drinking water. This helps a great deal. Chewing gum also helps, but I'd go with the carrots, cinammon and water. Don't worry. Take your time. You'll make it if you want it bad enough.

melissa91

I used lollipops actually, lollipops and soda. For the first few weeks I made a commitment to myself to not go around people who smoked or places where people usually smoke. For each craving I just took a few seconds to realize that it was just an urge and it would pass in a few minutes. If it didn't I would grab a lollipop! The first three days I went though two bags of blow pops lol. It's really just finding what works for you and commiting to that. Good luck!

cinquecento

There's a video on this site about your brain receptors and how they react to nicotine. Watching that helped me visualize what was causing my cravings and helped me turn them off.

Kim93

My triggers are after meals and with my wine in the evenings.  After meals I drink water with a straw and suck on hard candies.  With my wine I munch on peanuts....gives me something to do with my hands as well.  I found that exercise really sends the cravings away for an extended period of time.....Smoked a pack a day and am smoke free for five weeks now.  Hang in there, you're doing great.