cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Acceptance

YoungAtHeart
3 21 196

I went to my PT yesterday for crutch lessons.  When I told him the ortho wanted "non-weight bearing only," he told me that meant keeping the broken leg off the floor - for EIGHT weeks (and even that doesn't guarantee healing).   My arms are not strong enough to do that consistently, so I am doing toe touches with the bad leg.  This has caused my formerly sprained ankle on the OTHER leg to wake up and start screaming at me. 

I can't weed or mulch my flower gardens or add annuals, or vacuum or dust or clean the bathrooms, or clean off my front porch and summer furniture,  or go to the Farmer's Market for spring veggies and plants to make my many hanging baskets (I won't be able to keep them watered) or cut perennials that are blooming to bring inside.  My daughter will help with the necessities (what SHE determines is "necessary").  You all might understand how devastating all this is to someone who basically never sits still, who loves to work in her yard, and loves a clean house.  And, I am not ill enough to not care!!!!!  And I haven't even mentioned my love of walks along the river and swimming laps.

But - and this is where the process for quitting smoking comes in ---- I can fight this, and be depressed about it, or I can understand it's temporary, accept what is, and be as comfortable with it as I can. There, hopefully, is a light at the end of this tunnel.   I am working to see it!!!.  Right now I am in mourning for what I want but cannot do.    I guess this will be a journey, just like quitting smoking, and, perhaps, like quitting smoking, it will also get easier over time.

I won't smoke over it - because I know that would not help, but hurt , the healing process.  But - I won't guarantee I won't eat a TON of chocolate (and perhaps a bit of ice cream, too!)

Nancy

21 Comments
freeneasy

freeneasy

freeneasy

Jennifer-Quit

I was on crutches (non-weight bearing) for 4 months back in the early 80's.  Even though I was young, it was tough.  You will find new ways to do things that we all take for granted.   A good over the shoulder tote bag is essential as well as a large drink bottle with a tight lid.  A microwavable covered container to heat food and transport it to where you eat.  Stairs are hard so please be careful and avoid unless absolutely necessary.  I learned to drive with my left foot.  I know this isn't easy but you will get through it.  Does your insurance cover any type of home health care that can come in and help with things that you cannot manage on your own?  I will pray for you Nancy.

JonesCarpeDiem

I was on crutches for 3 years.

After severing my right foot and being in the hospital for eleven days I went back to work.

I couldn't do all the physical work but I bought a laptop and was able to get online at the jobsite and schedule all the sub contractors and run my jobs.

You do what you have to do.

Giulia

As you know I just got back to walking (in a boot) after three weeks on crutches.  Fortunately I have a husband who waited on me hand and foot.  Like Jennifer said, you learn tricks.  I had a fanny pack with a travel cup holder and two zippered compartments where I could stash small things (like a cookie or carrot).  Also had a back pack so I could carry a book or something larger.  I placed high stools by the kitchen sink and in the bathroom to sit on while eating or washing dishes or my self.  We're fortunate in that we have a walk in shower.  But could NOT have gotten in there (over the sizeable lip)  without help.  Obviously removing any loose rugs is a must.  I tied a piece of yarn from crutch to crutch and would then flip it over my head.  If one of the crutches falls it enables you to pull it back up without bending down.  

Crutches are hell on the body.  If we were meant to walk on one leg God would have made our lower part into a pogo stick with a spring for a knee.  As you said, it WILL pass.  The garden will be there.  And it will be missing you as much as you miss IT.  I know EXACTLY how you feel.  Do you know how you tore your meniscus & fractured your femur?  Osteoporosis perhaps?

JustSharon

Good morning Nancy, I so know how you feel about your limitations. I have them too and its frustrating to say the least. I have a husband and a daughter who just don't seem to see the dust and dirt accumulate. As long as things are straightened up, they call it clean. aaarrrggghh! I've sent up prayers for you. (((HUGS)))

JonesCarpeDiem

The best way to get around is by pushing a wheelchair backwards with your good foot. it's actually pretty fast learning curve.

YoungAtHeart

Probably, yes!  I think I might try to get an MRI on the OTHER ankle now that it is starting to be painful again.  I sprained it in January, and it HAD gotten better - until I started to put my feel weight on it to avoid putting weight on the bad knee leg.

Happy to hear you have moved to a boot!

JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry that you are going through this physical crisis.  Sometimes we have to Accept the fact that we need to shut it down in order to get better.  It appears this may be the time to Accept that your health is as important as all the things you like and have to do.   That is a process also to be able to recognize when it is time to shut it down.  Enjoy your chocolate and go through the healing process just like quitting smoking. 

Giulia

Word to the wise - I think I've done too much too soon after getting into the boot.  I was non-weightbearing and then just walked around too much since, so I'm hurting and laying back off it.  Nancy - you listening?  

dwwms

YoungAtHeart‌, My heart goes out to you - I've gathered how much you like to keep active and it seems so wrong to have this happen particularly just when the weather is getting nice again. I can perfectly understand why you feel like mourning - but I admire your determination and spirit. And you're right, you can be angry or you can accept it - angry never worked for me before when I tried to quit smoking - thanks to you and others here, I think I got it right this time.

In the meantime, two of your favorites...

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.06.30 PM.png

Thoughts and prayers are with you for a full (and speedy) recovery -         Doug

Bree19

Hi Nancy

You know that I also know what you're going through.  Between crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, pain, rehab, therapy,and medication that we may or may not have reactions to, I just wish I'd never told anyone about the pains in the first place.  Realistically of course I needed help but it feels as if, once they have you in their clutches, they're going to keep finding things in you that need fixing.  And I also know there really are other things that do need fixing - I just feel trapped in the medical world with no way out.  I didn't mean for that to sound dramatic.  I can't quite explain what I mean.  Trapped is the best word to describe it I suppose.  All my injuries are basically self-inflicted whether by car accidents, eating disorders, bad life choices over the years, etc etc.  Why am I going off at a tangent?

Sorry.

I started by wanting to sympathise, empathise and encourage you, and I end up down the wrong ally again.

I can tell how frustrating this immobility is for you and that you're someone who really likes to be on the go all the time.

Of course you're not going to smoke over it (you're one of my quit heroes) but maybe - silver linings and lights at ends of tunnels - you discover that through the inactivity and being forced to find other ways for your mind and hands to be busy, you turn out to be an author or poet or potter or illustrate children's books.  I know I sound as if I forgot my medication this morning... you just might find that slowing down and re-evaluating, is exactly what you need right now in your life, painful as it may turn out to be.

Now I'm stopping because clearly words just fail me today.

Stay strong, follow the orders, and be very, very kind to yourself.  This too shall pass.

Love

Bree

YoungAtHeart

Seems I have been saying this a LOT lately, but i resemble that comment!

😉

Sootie

Oh Nancy----I just want to come down to Baltimore and plant your garden, hang the baskets of flowers and find some one to water them and go to the Farmer's market for you!!! I don't know much about non weight bearing or restricted activity......but I do know HOW MUCH I would miss doing those things as I love them too! If you see someone outside in the dark with a shovel and some bedding plants........it's me!

Stay strong.

Strudel

Nancy - You have found a way to make a bit of lemonade by writing a blog that ties into not smoking - bravo! I know how active you normally are and I know how very difficult it will be to adjust that life style for a while. However, I have every confidence that you will be able to do It! Please take care- hugs and prayers! 

MarilynH

Sending up Extra good thoughts and prayers up for you Nancy, I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all of the pain and the crutches but I'm praying that the healing process and the 8 wks will go by quickly gentle hugs and prayers for peace of mind.YoungAtHeart ♡ 

YoungAtHeart

You are SUCH a sweetheart.  You have made me feel a bit better just with your wonderful thoughts.

Nancy

YoungAtHeart

Your words did, actually, inspire me a bit.  I am a person who creates art in my gardens, I create artistic sets (almost like stages!)  in which to live, make art in wreaths from found natural vines and  objects for myself and friends.  You have given me the idea to uncover my drawing supplies and  create some of THAT kind of art for awhile.

You also expressed exactly how I feel about the medical profession.  One of my doctors was encouraging me to have this or that test --- and I flat out told him I was NOT interested because I was not willing to go through the torture of treatment (or awful drugs) if they found something. I LOVE my doctor; he accepted that and moved on.   People don't believe I mean it - but I DO!

Thanks for your thoughts - not off base at ALL - and appreciated.

Nancy

aztec

I fractured my ankle when I was inthe beginning of my quit, I crocheted a cool blanket, I gave it to my Dad and he used it alot.

He died in Jan uary of 2014 I got the blanket back full of his love! I couldn't do the crutches very good, and I live in a mobile home and it is long and narrow so a walker wouldn't work either. You will get throug it, I am glad you have your daughter to help. I like the topic of acceptance. We need to do that alot. Try and stay out of instant gratification. an enemy to acceptance. you sound liek you have it handled, Great Job ! congratultions on your quit.

you help alot of people.

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ You know that my heart goes out to you, if I had to be on crutches, I would land on my face.  I have spend my share of time on them, my hands always hurt, my armpits hurt, I padded everything on the crutches and finally just gave up and stayed off my stupid feet as much as possible.  Crutches are one of those things that are almost as bad as what you are using them for.  I am so sorry that this is happening when you have so many things you want to do but...I don't think there is ANY time when you don't have tons of things you want to do...you never stop, I think this has been taken out of your hands, my dear friend.

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.