Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

AND MY JOURNEY CONTINUES : THE WARRIOR

SuzyQ411
6 16 396

warrior.png

THE WARRIOR

One of our EX FAMILY members referred to me as a warrior (Thank you, Terry.) 

The thought of being considered as a warrior -- a fighter -- a  scrapper -- ignited me further with the assurance that this is indeed my forever quit. 

My counselor has given me a three-part assignment. 

#1: Identify the part of my day when I am most relaxed. 

At first. I thought it was while I was walking but I later realized that actually I was most at peace / relaxed when I was listening to my gospel music.

#2. While engaging in that relaxing activity, take 5 deep breaths. Mouth slightly open. Breathing slowly and deeply .... in .... and .... out.

The consistent deep breathing exercise during the relaxing activity forms a mental connection between deep breathing and the relaxation of the moment.

#3. When stressed / anxious I am to take 5 deep breaths to connect me to the relaxation I experience while listening to my music.

Today, as a non-smoker, I am soaking up the peace of mind and body that my music brings me.

When I feel it's time for a cigarette, I am taking five slow, deep breaths.

It's My Day One.

16 Comments
About the Author
Prior to my first quitting on 8/25/2019, I was a heavy smoker for over 60 years. That time, I quit due to health concerns regarding clogged arteries to my brain. Tar deposits from cigarettes were making the situation worse. I had become a prime candidate for a stroke and required surgery to clean out my left carotid artery. I have relapsed 4X since that quit, the last one being on 05.15.2022. ( At one point in all of this madness, I had been quit for 1.5 years). Then on 9/7/2021 I began my recent eight month quit before my current relapse. I am in the process of planning a return to the non-smoking life. After more than 2 weeks of smoking, wheezing and coughing and being short of breath, I have set my new quit date of June 1, 2022 as the beginning of my forever quit. I am done with this madness!! God is good.