cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

AAAAARGHHHHHH!!!

Grateful2b
4 10 231

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that things were going pretty well for my first post cuz today is more like what I've experienced in the past when very first quitting. I don't feel well, I'm cranky AF, nauseous, headachey. Just generally blech!! Anger started yesterday and when I got in my car to go home I instantly thought of actually going to buy cigarettes. I didn't. Still haven't. Hate feeling like this! Honestly I'm probably just getting sick but I remember feeling like this in the beginning of a quit in the past. Considering I'm a little over two weeks without a smoke, it can't be nicotine withdrawal, so yeah, must be getting sick. Feeling like this is probably my biggest trigger because my brain think "why bother?". My brain can be stupid sometimes. Maybe frequently.

I don't know if this is even appropriate sharing here ... Is it? or no? Are there some kind of sharing guidelines???

Hope all ya'all are having a most fantabulous day (to kinda make up for my super crappy one)!

10 Comments
Ladybug--7-3-12

It absolutely IS an "appropriate" share.  Whatever you need it to be is your choice.

Congrats on over 2 weeks smoke free!  Smobriety is an up & down roller coaster ride for sure.  Keep your focus ahead & keep going (no matter how you feel, no matter what you tell yourself, no matter what happens to you) and you'll never have to redo those first 2 weeks again!  Remind & inspire yourself with that fact.

It's worth whatever angst you have to go through to eventually (in due time ... patience) come out the other side.  You are worth it!  Keep it up!  Keep reaching out to the community.  That's what it is here for ... YOU!  

YoungAtHeart

What @Ladybug--7-3-12 said!

There is never a  verboten share here.  Share instead of smoke - ALWAYS!

Hope tomorrow is better!

Nancy

biscuit9

Go back and read your original reasons for quitting.  It took the end of week 3 for me to even get to a good place (my experience).  One puff always leads to another.  Remind yourself immediately, I DON"T DO THAT ANYMORE (say it out loud if appropriate) and go do that other healthy thing.   Use your tools and distractions.  You do not want to go back to day one.  You CAN do this.

Snowdoggie

@Grateful2b This is just temporary. Keep your goal in mind. No smoking! You've made great progress.🚭

Good job blogging instead of smoking.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Grateful2b! As a few people have said already, your post is totally appropriate! Yes, we do have community guidelines here, but mainly remember to...

via GIPHY

Todd

Barbscloud

@Grateful2b Glad you posted for support.  It works!  It can still be nicotine withdrawal.  Even though withdrawal peaks at 3 days, it can take weeks for the nicotine to be completely gone as your body weans off the nicotine.

What you're describing actually has a name for it "smoker's flu" that many experience when they quit. And the anger is also part of withdrawal.  You're brain in not happy it lost it's nicotine high.  Be patient with yourself.  This takes work, but it will pass.

Be proud of two week of success.  Hope your feeling better today.

Barb

maryfreecig

Somehow the fact that nicotine leaves our body in about 72 hours has been confused with the idea that we are nicotine free and going forward it is all psychological. So long as we have a mind we are going to have psychology--we are going to have feelings and thoughts. But psychology comes out of our physical condition too. We're not Gods. Yes you can feel the attachment, triggers, associations, dependency for a while. Memory and nicotine receptors play a role in longing for... That's why quitting is a journey not an event. Every wave of addiction you experience you ride through it, staying true to your decision. 

One day at a time you can do this. Thank you for sharing your frustration! Quitters get it. You are not alone.

Grateful2b

Thank you all for your replies and support!! Today is better so far. My whole body is tingly ... more so than it has been. I understand it but it's still WEIRD! Especially when shaving my legs in the shower😬😄. I'm sitting at my desk wiggling my nose like a rabbit because it feels so weird, but I can live with that.

Anyway, I really appreciate your being here! THANK YOU!!!

trish4801

@Grateful2b good job posting instead of smoking. I have to confess, I posted everyday for the first 30 days of my quit. It really helped me and my quit.

I'm at 130+ now. I still have moments of thinking about smoking. It can be something so simple as looking at my end table for my pack of smokes. Then I do say "I don't do that anymore", this really does help.

Stay strong and true to yourself, as I will stay strong and true to myself. We've got this!

Trish C

jewlz23

@Grateful2b It will all be okay. Stay in your quit as this is helping. I have read where some people get a bit sick after quitting and am hoping that is what this is. I think our endorphins in our brain are begging us to smoke again, but don't give in to that. Your brain will rewire to accept the new non-smoking you. Keep hydrated as much as possible and if your symptoms get too much, then go see your doctor for a check-up. Take care of you and be nice to you and your body will respond in kind in it's own time. But go see your doc anyway if you don't improve.

I post anything and everything here. I never knew there might be guidelines but I think you are just fine. You should read some of my stuff....lol. Keep up the good work!