Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

A week today

freedomfromthis
0 6 15

Hello, 

I just wanted to touch base. Today is a week since I stopped smoking. It is going pretty good. The last couple of days have been harder than the first few. I think I was more prepared for the first few. I don't know, it's hard to say, because I have had a pretty emotional couple of days, so this is probably why. Processing the emotion reminds me a lot of the cravings. The emotions come and go in waves, and it's similar to the nicotine cravings, so at some point in the emotional wave, I start to feel like it's time to do something. I can never exactly pinpoint what it is...It's just this massive desire to go and do "it."  It is to go and smoke, and it feels like I got hit with something hard when it comes around and says...It's time to go do *it*. When I don't do it, it is waiting for me to go and do it, and it waits and waits, until it doesn't want to wait anymore, then it starts raising the stakes...Do it or I will make you feel this...sad, anxious, empty, angry, resentful...whatever...It just keeps at it until it finds something that will get to me...

The difference is that now I know the truth...when it really gets to me, I know that I am winning, and it is trying harder to get my attention. I also know that it is an illusion...that whatever it is trying to make me believe that it wants...it doesn't. It won't and can't relieve my anxiety, mood, or emotions. It just wants me to give it nicotine, so that it can stay alive, and for the first time...the tables have finally turned...Rather, than me allowing it to kill me, I am killing it...and, it is not very happy. 

The thing is...the thing that has made it easiest, is that I finally figured out that I don't give a (insert whatever swear word you like here), about it. I really don't. I do not know how it tricked me into believing that I ever cared about it at all in the first place...especially that much...Pretty much more than anything else, or at least there were no consequences I could come up with, to me, or anyone I loved and cared about, that mattered to me more than it...Or, so I believed. It didn't really change until I saw the light...that I do not care about it, and it will not control me. I will starve this thing until it dies, and whenever it tries to rear its ugly head, I will starve it some more. There is not other option. It dies or I die...that's pretty simple. I wish the rest of life were this simple! 

Well, so that is where my head is at now. Like I said, the last couple of days have been harder than the first few, but who knows why really. It's just how it is. I think I just want to get it over with, and after I made it through the first 3 days, I pretty much hoped that I would not feel anything around this anymore, but I know better than that, and especially in this first 3 weeks. Plus, it doesn't really matter. However long it takes to kill this thing...is exactly how long I am going to do this. 

As always thank you to everyone here for being so supportive. I am unclear what the bonfire is or how the counter thingy works, but I would like to do both...If someone could explain it that would be great. Okay, well have a very wonderful day, take good care, Em 🙂

6 Comments
Kathryn16

Congratulations on your first smoke free week!! That is a great accomplishment. After day 10 it starts to get much better. So you only have a little while to go. The bonfire is where we add up all our cigarettes (and the money) and throw them in the fire together. The numbers get staggering when it's all of us together.  The quit clock I don't have one. Someone else can help ya though.  I have been quit since August 13, 2011!! Best of luck to you

mikecity

Congratulations on 7 days !!!!!!!!!!!!  It will get better and better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ex_Nancy

You were asking on another page, "how long does take for the feeling to go away?"  It really depends on your mind set...with me, I decided I was sick of it, did a lot of reading like you and only had 1 urge to smoke...that was it ONE urge and tommorrow is day 334...the more you embrace your quit, rather than feel like you're missing out, the easier your quit will be...some members here feel like they are being "deprived" of their drug and others are happy to get it done and be over with it....personally, I thought I would always "want" nicotine, but when I saw it as an addiction, the complete OPPOSITE happened....I was RELIEVED to be THROUGH with it...YAY

freedomfromthis

Hi, 

Thanks Nancy. That is pretty much how it is going for me, but I do have times when there are cravings...I guess. I don't think that is the right word...sort of like a withdraw symptom. Or, at least that is what I thought it was...However, I have to say, that when thinking of it like the little and big monster...The big one being the nonsense we buy into...I found it interesting that I did not get any of these "symptoms" until yesterday, when I started going through some emotional stuff about something else. And, that is when I smoked...though emotional stuff. So, that led me to believe that what seems like an actual physical symptom, may in fact, still be brought on by my head feeling the ingrained notion that is when I would smoke...if that makes any sense. Because, if it were an actual symptom of phyiscally feeling the need for nicotine, I would of thought it would have been worse the first few days, rather than the last couple. However, well...now that you mention it...I think, I do recall a strong feeling of deprivation during the emotions, because I was already feeling deprivation emotionally, then sort of pissed off that I could not smoke to relieve the emotional deprivation. So, I guess I got into a different head space than I was...Not much, but  little...and, yea...the thing is...it doesn't go any where. It just leads to more smoking and I don't want the addiction, nor the smoking, so I see no point at all in doing it again. None...there is just no point to it. 

Thank you so much for everything...You are an inspiration. Take care, Em 

Connie55

Em,

Absolutely beautiful post! That is Exactly where we are in our first week or so of quitting. I can see from your posts that your head is in exactly the right place for you to be successful. You did the reading, got educated about addiction and you've got ahold of it by the throat instead of vice versa. Great Job!

Those little sneak attacks that come on when you find yourself looking around for what "it" is you are supposed to be doing? Yeah, we are all familair with that and it does go away more and more each day. Here is a link to my page and a blog post I wrote about the exact same thing when I was on day 21. I am now on day 94. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Connie55-blog/2012/02/13/the-demon-who-came-to-visit

freedomfromthis

Thank you Connie...I left a post for you. I read you prior post and it was really great to read...very helpful. It's amazing to me how many different things we go through in this process, and how we all share some characteristic of all of it. It's quite stunning to me to learn that this is just an addictive process and the only way to fix it is to stop. There's not a lot more to it. 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Luv, Em