cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

A pirate looks at 40

cody1976
0 5 26

I think I first heard this song around age 5. Jimmy Buffet sang "mother mother ocean, I have heard you call". I immediately knew what he meant. At that young age I was convinced that in order to feel any happiness or peace as an adult would require living on a beach somewhere. Almost 34 years later (June of this year I will turn 39), I am living out my childhood dream. I moved to Lake Jackson, Tx in 2011 and am 8 minutes (15 if there is traffic) from the Gulf of Mexico. Along the way I've learned it's not a certain place or person that makes you happy (although they both can help tremendously), it's more about the things that you live by...a code, moral standards, guidelines.

As some of you who have been with me from the start here know, that first year could have ended my quit and nobody here would have questioned my decision to keep smoking. For those of you that are new to this blog...I'll condense it for you best as I can:

Jan 2013 - in a car accident that took a man's life (negligent driver of another vehicle)

April 2013 stopped smoking

May 2013 discovered failing thyroid

May 2013 grandmother passes away

August 2013 discovered 15mm tumor in my brain

November 2013 diagnosed with social anxiety & post traumatic stress disorder (ptsd)

Next Tuesday marks the 730th day without a cigarette. And as always with good news comes bad news. On the April 16th I will be doing a sleep study to determine if I have Narcolepsy. If diagnosed there is treatment although there is a lot riding on the results. Narcolepsy is a disorder that causes the body to respond as if it us sleep deprived no matter how much sleep a person gets. Commonly a 2nd disorder called cataplexy is diagnosed as well. Cataplexy is what the narcoleptic jokes spawn from. Cataplexy causes the person's body to paralyze itselelf (healthy bodies do this too in our sleep so we don't act out our dreams and hurt ourselves) causing the person to not only fall asleep but fall to the ground as well. Narcolepsy with Cataplexy could cost drivers license, jobs, and some recreation to become non existant due to safety concerns.

If it turns out that I dont have narcolepsy....then the doctors will have to confirm if the tumor they originally thought was non cancerous is growing or not. Growing tumor = brain surgery.

Sigh...what goes down has got to come up.

Here's to 731 days of being smoke free. I am back on the day by day train.

God Bless,

Cody

5 Comments
Barbara145

Wow Cody, that is alot.  I hope this new diagnosis will surprise you with only good.  Congratulations on 731 days.  That is awesome!  You are in my prayers.  Happy Easter!

pir8fan

The ocean has always called to me! While you are right about a place not making you happy, there is a person that can make you happy! It is you! And if you live and breathe better by the sea, that is where you should be! There is nothing like the smell of the salt!

As for all your other stuff: It will work out! Be happy my friend, and live as much as everyday allows you to live!

JonesCarpeDiem

Hang in there Cody. My Dr. told me that 6 years ago they would have chopped out my esophagus. In those 6 years they've discoverd less damaging treatments. Life isn't a struggle when we choose to enjoy each day!

cody1976
Thanks dale...despite the possibility of losing my drivers license and having to find another job, my job requires me to spend my days inside a DOW plant where sleeping isn't allowed for any reason due to safety concerns, I am hoping it IS narcolepsy. That can be treated with an afternoon nap. I am by no means unhappy or uneasy with my current situation. Frustrated mostly, with the exception of a few different symptoms, an underachieving thyroid, narcolepsy, and something going on with the tumor all share a common symptom.....excessive sleepiness, confusion and memory problems. The memory thing is indirectly caused from the fatigue. You would think after sleeping 12 hours a day (sometimes more) my body would be full of energy...oh well you know what they say.... when the going gets tough, the tough get going, I'll just have to nap from time to time lol
Strudel

Oh Cody - I hope the study goes well and they figure things out! Congrats on always knowing how to protect your quit! And - congrats on almost two years!! Take care!