cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

A THOUGHT ON WISDOM

Giulia
0 13 96

I was writing to a friend (no connection to this site) tonight about - oh so many things.  And I suddenly got on this...stream of consciousness, I guess I’d call it.  Here is how it went:

"But I’m not wedded to a perspective that allows no growth intellectually and spiritually.  And if you feed into yourself only one point of view - that’s all you’ll see, all you’ll ingest.  I’ve learned a lot being connected to this quit smoking site.  For I’ve seen ALL aspects of life presented on there.  Truly.  I’ve seen those who have left the site because they’ve been hurt or pissed off by some response they got.  I’ve been yelled at by a member or two because of the “tough love” stance I took.  And I made a correction with them.  I said I was sorry.  That I was only trying to help them.  If you can’t adjust and change and adapt and learn and grow - then you remain just as stuck as others.

Wisdom comes from having gone through it, but also from recognizing that not everybody reacts like you do and yet there are those who do.  Wisdom contains apology when necessary.  And forgiveness at all times.  It also contains immutable truths for which no apology is necessary.  Wisdom inhabits the realm of constant wonder, awe, expectation, hope, and steadfastness.  It honors those who try even though they may fail - for the moment.  Because wisdom knows that failure is only temporary in those who persevere.  Wisdom is open minded enough to experiment out of the box.  Wisdom says there is always a possibility for success.  And always the usual excuses for failure.  Wisdom is on-going because it’s alive with open-mindedness.  And Wisdom forgives, always, the necessary lessons to be learned.  Because without those lessons, Wisdom would not be who she is."

What's your wisdom tell you?  Speak from your experience.  Experience mulitiplied equals more wisdom...right?

Tags (1)
13 Comments
motherlovebone

I can't answer those questions tonight with any amount of intelligence...so let me just say....I love this blog and look forward to the responses.  Maybe I'll feel more synapses working tomorrow.  xo Kristin

stonecipher

What Kristin said.

This has been an emotional evening for some of us here.  And I am wondering what I am supposed to be learning from what got handed to me, personally, today.

What does my wisdom tell me tonight?  I think it is telling me that some of the things I have suspected for some time are true, and I had better be heeding them.

In other words, I need to trust myself more and other people less.  Or not at all.

Because in the end it just comes down to our own little selves, right?  And instead of that being a scary thing--it is an empowering thing.

Thanks, Giulia.  You always make us think!

Jordan-11-1-12

Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts. I didn't realize how hungry my mind and heart and soul was for them until I read them here. 

freeneasy

Hmmm- a lot of wisdom here tonight.. It's 1240AM and my wisdom is telling me I better try and get some shut eye or I won't be feelin too wise when I get up to go to work tomorrow..

Thomas3.20.2010

Wisdom for me is the knowledge of oneself to the point that I can clearly speak of my values and my actions reflect those values. What good values if I don't live them first? If I affirm LIFE then I must begin with my own and act toward the quality and quantity of my own life first! If I affirm LOVE, then I must learn to love myself first! If I affirm TRUST, do I trust myself perfectly? If not, why not? And so forth...

Giulia

Wow Thomas.  Just..Wow.

wishingstar

What my wisdom  is telling me. They I have learned so much from others that or on a jurney to be smkoe free,. Just like me.  I would not have this wisdom. If I did not find this site. I would still be a smoker.  Though love is given, and I do not see it as a reason to leave. What tough love showes me, is that person cared enough to respond and cares Wisdom is ongoing. I learn new things all the time

Renee 25 days

kris54

G... Your blog (as always) was thought provoking and resinates with all of us, I'm sure.

For me.... in all my years of living..... Wisdom has come in the form of acceptance.  I *finally* have learned that I can offer my help... be there... be a friend... give my heart and my hand, but ultimately we must all make our own choices.  Good, bad or hurtful.... we are all in charge of ourselves.

Wisdom for me ... is knowing myself.  Accepting who I am and trying everyday.... to be a better person.  Help more...love more.....forgive more........ and worry less.

I have told my Daughter, from the time she was able to understand the words... 'You are... who YOU think you are'  What every energy, in thought, you put out into the universe..... is exactly who you will be.  We HAVE the power.... and the 'wisdom' to be or do anything we put our minds to.

This is a crazy life sometimes.  Full of challenges and sorrow...... BUT..... when there is JOY..... it is a wonderful thing.

Thank you for this amazing blog.  I loved it.

pir8fan

I think that if we all set out to define wisdom, the words used would be very similar! Knowledge, sage, judicious, prudent.

I believe that the true definition would include words that expresses an ability to dispense truth and knowledge without attaching ones own baggage! The judicious and prudent parts of the definition would be the ability to share said truth and knowledge in a manner that neither offends, nor insults! As I have said here untold times "No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"!  

All the wisdom in the world is useless if the people you share it with cannot hear your words over the roaring sound of your deeds!

sharon110

Great post!!! Wisdom to me is to take what I have learned, what I have accomplished, and to move forward. I have learned I cannot spend my effort 'looking back' on what I should have done or what I should have accomplished. Wisdom to me is living in the present....and it has taken me years to learn it.

joyeuxencore

I get my wisdom from listening...Listening with that 'open mind' to beautiful 'open hearted' people sharing this journey...Giulia, Thomas, Tommy, Kris...I feel so blessed to have landed here...xo

AutumnWoman

If there is a soundtrack to go along with this post, it may be "Heart of the Matter" by Don Henley of Eagles fame:

"I've been trying to get down to the heart of the matter

But my will gets weak, and my thoughts seem to scatter

But I think it's about forgiveness, forgiveness

Even if, even if you don't love me anymore."

It *is* about forgiveness -- of ourselves and others.  And staying open and teachable.

Sootie

Wisdom comes from............

Being big enough to admit your mistakes

Being smart enough to learn from them

Being strong enough to correct them

Giulia = wisdom

I think THIS is going to be a "blackboard" entry   :  )

About the Author
Member since MAY 2008. I quit smoking March 1, 2006. I smoked a pack and a half a day for about 35 years. What did it take to get me smoke free? Perseverance, a promise not to smoke, and a willingness to be uncomfortable for as long as it took to get me to where I am today. I am an Ex but I have not forgotten the initial difficult journey of this rite of passage. That's one of the things that's keeping me proudly smoke free. I don't want to ever have another Day 1 again. You too can achieve your goal of being finally free forever. Change your mind, change your habits, alter your focus, release the myths you hold about smoking. And above all - keep your sense of hewmer. DAY WON - NEVER ANOTHER DAY ONE. If you still want one - you're still vulnerable. Protect your quit!