Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

A Hard Look at Self

gayvenda
0 18 39

body,html { overflow-y: hidden; overflow-x: hidden;}

Dad gave me my first cigarette when I was 12-14.  It immediately made me feel better!  I wanted another one right away.  Don't remember if I coughed or not.  Just remember liking it.  I stole some cigarettes from him sometime after that and stayed home from school one day and smoked in front of a mirror until I could successfuly know how to inhale...wanted to be "cool" and do it right.  I've been hooked ever since.  When he would take me on Casa Piedra trips near the Big Bend area, beer and cigarettes flowed freely. It was during those times that I got along with my dad better than ever.  Cigs and beer took the fear and trauma of living with my dad at home right out of the picture.  I discovered that escape from reality, relaxation and good sensations were imprinted on me emotionally from the cigarettes & alcohol. I made a decision based on self which later placed me in a position to be hurt physically. And found in smoking a coping mechanism for life!  Plus a huge, self destructive addiction!     

I have smoked for around 45+ years.  I have been unsuccessful at quitting over and over.  I am familiar with the relapse scenario.  The first puff, like the first drink, is deadly for me because I've invevitably been unable to stop and shortly after, bought another pack , then two, etc.  I accept today that I'm completely powerless to stop once I have that first puff off of a cigarette.  I have been unable to handle  my emotions or my life without smoking except for short periods of time. I am a complete failure in quiting smoking because even though several times He has given me the grace to not have any compulsion to smoke, I have made a choice to pick one up in the bargaining stage.  "just one won't hurt me". When I pick one up, I am closed off from the sunlight of the Spirit   I have been in denial all my life that smoking will hurt me. In fact, cigarette smoking will get me DEAD! I've lied about my smoking to others and to doctors. I've been smoking at least 2 packs daily since I came to AA, sometimes more! I bought those cheap cigars at $2 a pack in order to afford smoking.      

I have been diagnosed with COPD w\ chronic bronchitis at least 10 years ago and still have the same diagnosis.  I'm lucky it isn't emphasyma yet!  I have been told by every doctor I have to quit  smoking!  I have tried, failed and continued to smoke.  I have some plaque already around my heart that could cause me to have a major heart attack.  I carry nitro glycerin at all times.  Smoking builds up plaque on the heart. I have been told that smoking exacerbates COPD, Lupus, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Arterial vasculitis, and my heart condition, etc.  Denial and an inability to rely on God's power for any more than a month has placed my health in great jeopardy.  For me, smoking is as dangerous as alcohol.  I have insanity every time I take a drag off of a cigarette.  I am seeing that clearly now.  I have been getting on my knees and asking God to help me daily to not smoke a cigarette and restore me to some semblance of sanity regarding never smoking again one day at a time.  The compulsion is gone now. I must rely upon God's power if tempted again and a strong NO to self.  I've been self will run riot regarding smoking habits.      

My son hates smoking and I was bent upon smoking around him since his birth. I regret doing this to him and also wrecking my health.  Probably take a few years from me at the end even after quitting now.      

After smoking lightly for 2 weeks, the vasculitis came back with a vengeance.  When I got on my knees last Wednesday, I cried because the foot and leg pain I had brought on myself with smoking was instantly back again and even more intense and worse than before.  And I cried while I was talking to God, please help me quit smoking today!    It was clear to me that I could no longer smoke cigarettes safely again.  And I couldn't quit on my own power. I had to have God's help.      

My dr. told me to use the vape for at least 6 months and slowly reduce the nicotine until I"m down to nothing but cinammon oil at the end.  He said that several of his patients had been successful in quitting using that technique.  I can't do it though, without God's help, and a willingness to leave smoking cigarettes in His hands.   Meditation helps, too, I've discovered these last 5 days.  It is amazingly fast, but after 5 days of being quit,  my feet are already much better!  May I be a testament to others like me  who I would help with His Power, His love and His way of life...Thy will be done.        

18 Comments
Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome and congratulations on your quit.  It will get better.  It has for me.

ShawnP

Thank you for sharing. Brought tears to my eyes. I think this is the first time that you have trully poured your heart out. I think is when we take a step back and trully look at ourselves and why we smoke that we can move forward..

JonesCarpeDiem

what is vaping going to do?

It just reminds you of smoking.

If your dr is trying to wean you off nicotine why wouldn't you just use the gum.

I think you are more tied to the hand to mouth and inhale motions and I worry that by vaping, you will never lose your desire to smoke.

I don't think dr's really understand what makes people come back or hold on  to smoking

JonesCarpeDiem

I's the 45 years of smoking and the memories and emotions tied to them not the nicotine.

The nicotine only keeps you coming back as long as you are using it.

YoungAtHeart

It might help to go over the basics and educate yourself on what the nicotine does to your body and mind(hint:  it does not, in fact, help you to relax!)  Here is a link to a free book that a lot of folks here (including me) found very helpful:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You might also visit the sites   whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com

These all make good crave busters, too

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!"   Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Don't argue with yourself or listen to the addiction tell you "just one won't hurt."  Remember, you simply don't DO that anymore!

I am glad you are here.  We can help, so ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it.

Nancy

moody_9-18-13

So, Gayvenda, you are an addict. We all are, that's why quitting smoking is difficult. I said, difficult, but it is VERY DOABLE.  First, step is understanding addiction, second is making the decision to not feed the addiction and finally making a commitment to quit and relearn life without smoking. I am so sorry you were pushed into using drugs by your father at such a tender age, yes nicotine and alcohol are drugs. 

I am not a doctor, so I cannot advise you on the best way to quit feeding your particular addiction(s), that is a discussion you've obviously had with your doctor.  I do wonder however what he would recommend you do in order to overcome the rituals of smoking if you're quitting using an ecig.  

I keep the link below from Sarah to give to people who may never have the opportunity to read it otherwise.  It's a keeper and hit home for me when I finally decided to quit. All those uncomfortable truths that keep us from having the freedom we deserve in life...."The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off." 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/SarahP-blog/2012/11/20/some-uncomfortable-truths-warning-to...

ruta01

I find your story inspiring.  I quit over a year ago and lost a six month quit over just a puff.  I have one week under my belt again.  Although I do not have copd yet, I'm sure it was on it's way because I was starting to wheeze.  The wheezing has gone away in under a week again.  

The cigarettes are not worth it.  It takes so long to heal but so little time to undo the good already done.  I keep telling myself that "I am a non-smoker".  It helps, but for me the weekends are the hardest since I do not have work to keep me busy and out of trouble.

I wish you well.  We can do this.  I am going to to go to read the links suggested for you.

Giulia

Tough love coming up.  Read at your own risk:

I'm sitting here wondering how the hell to reach you.  You've been on this site for two years.  You know the answers because you've been given great advice time and time again.  But still you have taken that "one puff."  O'er and o'er.  Your health is falling apart, and STILL you have smoked.  And you're not alone in this.  And it breaks my heart AND makes me mad.  I want to jump out of the computer and shake you and say STOP!  Just STOP.  Please stop.  For your beautiful self, please stop.  (I know, you have, for five days.  But will you maintain it?)

There is no "bargaining stage" with the diseases you have and there is no "bargaining stage" if you want to be free.  If cigarettes are a coping mechanism in your life, then you have to find another coping mechanism.  I don't presume to know what that is for you, but you HAVE to find it.  I suggest that cigarettes are NOT a coping mechanism.  You just think they are.  You are clinging to that thought and that thought WILL kill you.  Bit by slow bit.  Piece by piece.  It's a lie.  Cigarettes are simply a chemical induction supply house for your body.  Praying is a good coping mechanism.  But it's not God's will, it's YOUR will be done when it comes to whether you put a cigarette in your mouth.  You are a testament to God as long as you maintain the purity of the vessel He gave you to reside in on this earthly plane.  No.  That's not true and that's not fair.  But you surely will be a much better testament to Him if you set that example.  And you CAN.  Not One Puff Ever has to SCREAM in your head when the thought of smoking creeps upon you.  When you reach for that cigarette that thought has to scare you so badly that it would be like touching fire to put one in your hand.  That thought should make you RUN in the opposite direction.  That's how strong that Not One Puff Ever thought has to be ingrained in your brain.

You are on the edge of not walking.  You are on the edge of a heart attack.  You are a cigarette breath away from emphysema.  Those are the facts as you state them.   Wake up!  Your blog is a truthful good hard look at yourself.  But you see, I've seen it all before.  Too, too many times.  And I've heard it all before far too many times.  The "THIS TIME will be different."  THIS TIME will not be different unless you change the methodology.  Relying on God is good.  But God will not keep you smoke free.  Only YOU can do that.  Please, please do.  And forgive me for going ballistic on your blog.  Sometimes.... it just gets to us old timers, because we want it so d@mn bad for you.

Jennifer-Quit

It breaks my heart to hear that your Father offered you cigarettes.  I often feel that I was born addicted to nicotine - Im not sure if that is possible - but I do remember as young as 5, wanting a puff. My older sister would offer me a cigarette as a payment for doing her  a favor at about age 10 or 11 - my brother caught me smoking and said that he would kick my ass if he saw me doing it again.  I didn't really smoke again until around 16 - but I started doing it daily and at 18 when I had  a little money I developed the pack a day habit.  So, my friend, I am as addicted as anyone.  It is now day 87 smoke-free and I jsut want you to know that it is do-able.  Educate youself and get your head in the right place - Allen Carr's The Easy Way is an excellent read. It helps to get your head in the right place.  Good luck to you!

Newfound_Joy

Gayvenda, my heart pours out to you.  I've walked in your shoes.  I was around this site for 2 years before I finally GOT IT.  Yes, I am a recovering alcoholic, I gave up my prescription pills, and now you want me to give up my last "comfort and relaxation" vice?  MY CIGARETTES?  HA!  I was in denial about the health consequences also.  That happens to "other" people but not to me.  I had wheezing approaching emphyzema, I was losing my voice because my vocal chords were inflammed (pre-cancerous). 

So I still kept coming back and tried everything in the world to only smoke a little and played head games with myself.  I finally realized that I wanted what all these successful WINNERS had on this site!!  You have to want it BAD.  I strongly urge you to visit every site above and do the readings.  Allen Carr's book did it for me.  KNOWLEDGE IS POWER here.  You have to know your ENEMY and what battle you are up against.

So I prepared myself, and after saying my prayers, I told myself each and every day"I CHOOSE to be a HAPPY non-smoker JUST FOR TODAY".  It is a choice you are making to save your life!  My little pea brain could not handle more than one day.  I would not even think about tomorrow.  Change your attitude!!  You sound like you are on "the pity pot"..........you know the saying.  Put some JOY AND HAPPINESS into this 5 day quit of yours.  Make this a new happy life learning experience.  If I can do it, so can you!

Luck has nothing to do with this.  It is about changing your mindset and the way your brain thinks.  Only you can do that.  Come here every day and post every day if you feel the need.

Just do it!!!

gayvenda

Good for you!  Day 87!  You must be doing something right.  I recounted my days and I believe I have 12 days now. I cannot figure out how to get my  old Count Up Clock off my  profile and a new one in that slot.  LOL.  I'll just keep playing with it.  Thanks for your supportive remarks!  And good luck to you, also!

promise_judy

Congrats and keep adding those days up--your on the road to VICTORY!!!

XOXO

GreenThumb3

I got super addicted to vape and health problems went back to smoking then quit everything I was 2packs a day for 25 years now I don't miss smoking. It just takes time I would fire your Dr 

stonecipher

There you are!  I was wondering how you are doing.

Still fighting, from the sounds of it.

Something my son said to me the other day seems worth repeating here regarding faith in God.

He said, "This is so NOT a DOING faith we have.  It is a LETTING faith."

Stop fighting.  Stop trying so hard to do the "right thing".

God wants you to lean on Him.  He has nothing to prove.  And nothing you do can impress Him. 

Let Him do the work. He is for YOU.  Not the other way around.

I don't know if this will help.  It just came to my mind.

You know I care what happens to you.

--Stone.

summer-07-06-15

You were thought that only way to get close to Dad and other men was with smokig and drinking. Change the attitude. Will stop smoking. Don't think about tonigh or tomorrow, just take one hour. I have been on the site for one to many years claiming I wish, maybe,my health, Because to many excuses.  I now commit myself to stop smoking. I Will do this. Don't doubt or question your committment to stop smoking.

Change you attitude. POsitive thinking. find positive thoughts photobuck, db18 and look on other sites to find a change of mind. I've been well over 200 days, I could had had over 200 days of freedom. I blew on one cigarette, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE CIGARETTE. NOT. ONE. PUFF. EVER. NEVER EVER FORGET what is like to go back to day one.

Cheer Up Girl

Brenda_M

I so love what Newfound Joy said that I'm going to repeat it.

"Put some JOY AND HAPPINESS into this 5 day quit of yours. Make this a new happy life learning experience."

This is GREAT advice...it's not just about attitude adjustment, it's also a practical to-do list item for you. One of the benefits of quitting smoking that I've forgotten until just now is the extra time you have. Fill it with something FUN.

gayvenda

I have been feeling  joy and happiness in today's quit!  An art student came by  this afternoon with a Starbuck's Mocha Viente and wanted me to check out her 2 latest paintings.  She was a little stuck, but  she is doing great and has some talent and a knack for painting.   She is a joy to teach! We went to have a large transparency  made of  the Midland, Tx. skyline I'm working on.  I enjoy  teaching almost as much as painting. 

I  got  more "educated" by reading the links that some people gave to me.  This smoking addiction is insidious and seems to lie in wait for you to have a "craving moment" to just step right back in to where you left off. 

Thanks for allyour comments,suggestions and sharing.  I also do meditation and I've found that still,quiet place deep inside of me where I could hear a pin drop,  My meditations are much more peaceful without the use of cigarettes wrecking my breath. I'mrecognizing that my body is my temple and I should take very good care of it.  The greatest gift I can give to myself right now is not to smoke one day at a time.  And yes, I'musing God's help, too.   People helping people is a good way  to go... 

Giulia

Ah, to be able to look at something and re-create it on paper.  That's such a gift.  My husband gave me a private art lesson last year.  The teacher was phenomenal.  The artist's perspective is so different from our normal perspective.  He taught me how to see with new eyes, how to view from a totally different perspective.  But especially to "see" with my emotions and draw from THAT perspective.  It opened up my soul.  Quitting is like that too.  We need to learn to see our smoking emotional world with new eyes.  THAT way leads to permanent change. 

Drawing is a skill that can be learned.  So is playing the piano.  (I'm not talking about the gift of interpretation and imagination of artistry.)  And I believe that quitting, too, is a skill that can be learned.  Commitment, study, practice - it all leads up to a successful quit.  Next time a craving hits you - paint it.  I'd love to see what it looks like to you.  PS - I'm sure you've read the Artist's Way.  If not - have a gander at it.  Glad today was a day of joy in your quit.