cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Donnamoryc
2 10 198

Hello everyone, I’m here to tell you I’m nine days free. I have COPD and I am 68 I hope by quitting this nasty habit. It won’t progress. It’s been tough but I didn’t notice one thing. I’m not coughing up that lousy phlegm anymore. It’s a great feeling.

10 Comments
Donnamoryc

I meant to say I did stop coughing

Cbefree

Hello @Donnamoryc and welcome to this EX community! Nine days you rock!  I hope you get a chance to read posts from all of us on this path. Maybe you will be inspired as I have been to read the: this sucks - I can't think - I can't stop crying - it gets easier - hang in there because we are here with you in the trenches one day at a time.

Be well, be kind to yourself, huge hug 

biscuit9

@Donnamoryc   My understanding is that quitting smoking can alter the progression of COPD.  I think that's wonderful news and I did a search about that and found that the American Lung Assoc. says your lung function will begin to improve 2 weeks to 3 mos. after quitting smoking.  SO, keep staying quit and start taking note of the improvements.  I journaled alot in the early days.  

Your body is healing from the years of self-harm.  Be patient and allow the healing.  DISTRACT, DELAY.  Take this one day at a time and Congratulations on being NINE DAYS NIC FREE!  Keep reading and learning.  (Quit day 584)

Barbscloud

@Donnamoryc I quit at the same age and have 6 years quit.  It' never too late.  Learning that I had mild emphysema ultimately led to my quit after 50 years of smoking,  I don't fool myself into believing that quitting protects me from a host of medical conditions related to smoking.  Overtime, it does reduce the risk some of those illnesses.  Too me, it is still worth it.

Congrats on 9 day of success.  You're doing fabulous and will experience some wonderful health benefits.  Not coughing and less phlegm are only the beginning.

Barbscloud_4-1713986263299.png

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Keep adding the days and those benefits will just keep rolling in!  Soon your sense of taste and smell should be improved!  How about the $$$ you are saving, and the TIME?

You are doing GREAT!  Keep going!

Nancy

McMoney

Congrats on NINE DAYS!! That's a big deal!!  Double Digits tomorrow! Keep going! You're doing awesome!

McMoney_0-1711203532583.jpeg

MarilynH

A super congratulations on your precious quit journey @Donnamoryc YAY for 9 splendiferous smokefree days and counting YAY for each and every day WON! Tomorrow you'll be in the DDC ~Double Digit Club! YAY for Freedom! 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Keep up the great work @Donnamoryc. We are rooting for you!

Quiana, EX Team

Cousin-Itt

@Donnamoryc  9 Days quit is fantastic. 

As people have stated you will notice several positive changes along with other changes you won't notice.  

As far as COPD 

I also have COPD I was diagnosed 8 years ago with "Emphysema"  It took a while of setting small goals when I started walking. I now walk 3-plus miles daily with several hills.  I huff and puff going up but regain my breathing.  I can say after 8 years If my COPD gotten worse I haven't noticed.  I've made some lifestyle changes also that has helped my health over all

Donnamoryc

Thank you all for the tremendous encouragement you have given me. This site is absolutely awesome. Thank you again for being here.