Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

9 YEARS!!!!

Storm.3.1.14
11 22 463

12371290_102422-cc-abc-perry-sawyer-intv-img.jpeg

Last October, Diane Sawyer interviewed Matthew Perry, one of the stars of the hit TV show, Friends. He had just released a memoir about his struggles with alcoholism and addiction, and about his recovery. At the top of the show, Diane asked Matthew: "How can you be sure your recovery will last? How do you know that this time, it's going to stick?" Matthew replied, "Because, I finally surrendered, to the winning side, not the losing side."

That really struck me, because I had a similar goal when I quit 9 years ago today.

Back then, I didn't know if my recovery from smoking was going to be an excruciating nightmare, but I didn't care if it was! For the first time in my miserable history of failed quits, I surrendered to whatever my new quit might need. I wanted to win --- at any cost! --- so I prepared myself to surrender to everything. Not only surrender to it all, but be prepared to embrace it and love it, and be thankful for the experience. This surrendering greatly eased my fears about the withdrawals I might face, because I had already made up my mind to love my journey --- no matter what!

Fortunately for me, because I studied and trained ahead of my quit, and because I cultivated a group of supportive EXers around me, my quit turned out to be pretty typical, with encouraging highs and expected lows, and only one major crisis at Day 120. That's it.

The other winning mindset I surrendered to was refuting the false hope that I could somehow bargain and compromise with my addiction. I finally accepted that, for me, there is no such thing as "cutting back". Half a pack a day was unrealistic. Just 6 in the morning was an absurd delusion. Just one or two "oopsies" a month was still full-on addiction. No, for me, it would have to be either 20 cigarettes a day, or zero. No middle ground. No wiggle room. No special exemptions. I finally surrendered to the immutable truth of N.O.P.E.: not one puff --- ever!

The losing side of this addiction is thinking that you can bargain and compromise with the poisonous demon, and still win somehow.

The winning side of this addiction is surrendering to the truth, embracing that truth, loving that truth, growing a faith in that truth, and believing the promise that there is victory and peace and happiness on the other side of No Man's Land.

So, surrender to this journey!

Every day is worth it!

I should know, I have 3,287 days worth of proof!

Storm

9 YEARS OF FREEDOM

22 Comments
sweetplt

@Storm.3.1.14 Good to see you….what a powerful message Matthew Perry shared about addiction….I never saw the interview.

Anyways, a Big Congratulations on 9 Years of Freedom…You Rock Storm…wishing you a Happy and Healthy 2023…!

pastedImage_2.gif

Storm.3.1.14

@sweetplt  Matthew Perry was nearly dead before he turned things around, so I was very interested in what he had to share. (If I’m not mistaken, that interview is available on Hulu.)

Thanks for the fireworks!

Patrick1234

Surrender in alcoholism and nicotine addiction or any addiction Is a daily thing. Whether or not you have 1 day or 30 years its still a daily reprieve. One day at a time. Congratulations ive got 294 days and this December will be four years alcohol free. 

Strudel

Storm - So great to see you! Congrats on 9 years - and thanks for the wonderful blog! 

Storm.3.1.14

Kathy! Always a pleasure to see you, too, my friend! And thank you!

@Strudel 

MarilynH

A super CONGRATULATIONS @Storm.3.1.14 on your precious quit journey YAY for 9 splendiferous years of Smokefree living YAY for each and every YEAR WON with many more to come let's CELEBRATE because I absolutely love CELEBRATING MILESTONES! 

e56b9b38ea255288af2625b673507862.gif

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you, @MarilynH ! Can always count on you to bring me some sparkles!

Sootie

@Storm.3.1.14   GREAT TO SEE YOU!!!

HAPPY 9th anniversary of freedom from addiction.

Storm.3.1.14

@Sootie ! Thanks! So good to see YOU, too!

Storm.3.1.14

Resized_20230301_171309.jpeg

 A celebratory seafood platter! (I wish it hadn't all been fried, and I wish the cheese hadn't been squirted out of an aerosol can, but...)

Livebetter2023

@Storm.3.1.14   Wow.   Your post is so powerful.  Congratulations on 9 years and thank you so much for your words.  I know I will read them again and again.  

Storm.3.1.14

You are very welcome, @Livebetter2023 . Believe in yourself! If it was possible for me, then it's possible for you. 

Maki

Bookmarked for sure . Great post ! Wish this could go into best of Ex . 

Giulia

Bravos as usual, Storm!  On the blog and on your 9 winning years.  Sorry I didn't see this yesterday or I would have jumped on it.  Totally agree with you.  I too had to get to the point of "no matter what" - "at any cost."  It's interesting how a quit can turn from depleting oneself into the complete opposite of strengthening.  How it transforms  from the rock that sinks us into the rock that saves us.  Charge on!

Storm.3.1.14

@Giulia, "the rock that sinks us becomes the rock that saves us" sounds like the chorus of a gospel hymn! Preach it, sister!

Thank you, friend, for stopping by!

By the way, I left YOU a congratulations on Sootie's blog about your quit.

Snowdoggie

@Storm.3.1.14 Happy anniversary! Great blog and thanks for sharing your celebration dinner with us. Yum! 🎉🎊🎉🎊

Storm.3.1.14

You're welcome, @Snowdoggie! Enjoy the advice --- and oysters!

maryfreecig

Powerful blog. Thank you. Happy 9!!! 

Barbscloud

@Storm.3.1.14 I did see the interview with Perry, but it's certainly worth sharing.

Super congrats on 9 years of success.

Barbscloud_0-1669477120487.gif

(Sorry.  One of these posts that didn't post. Ugh).

Barb

Storm.3.1.14

Good to see you, @Barbscloud! Thanks for the applause!

Chris265

A little late to the party for @Storm.3.1.14, but congrats on nine years!  Happy to see that you are still enjoying good food with your smoke free life!  I do remember all your careful planning, and pictures documenting such.

Nice to see @Giuila and @Sootie and @Strudel.  Big part of many people’s journeys, including mine.

Storm.3.1.14

Ohmigosh, you're one of the few people left, @Chris265, that remembers all the photos I used to share. Hahaha!

Thank you so much for stopping by! Like you, there were about a dozen people who helped with my quit, and it's good to have 5 or 6 still dropping by. (You're one of them!)

Thank you, again, and take care of yourself!