cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

83 days smoke free need to quit somthing else need help

ladybug49
0 6 38

Ok this may sound stuped to thouse of you that are not this way. I believe in God always have I do not remerber not believeing. I also do not remerber not cussing. I think in cuss words it is not like I think somthing else and transolate it into cuss words. It comes out of my brain that way I can not count the number of times I have said I am sorey Lord. This kills me I am so hurt every time I say G.D. but it happens all the time if the slightest thing happens i drop somthing i hurt myself the dog gets in the way....  I sware it is not by choice when I put a cig in my mouth it is by choice and addiction it is not by nature it is not natural to smoke. I need Ideas on how to fix this. I know first hand how it feels to have a child say hurtful things to you. I can not amagen how much it hurts God who died for me to hear me use his name the way I do every day of my life. It makes me want to cry and I am not the one recivening the crulity. I truly belive with all my heart this is a sin not a little one a big one as I am not a killer i can not think of a biger one for me. I will take any advice you have.

Thank you

6 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

My suggestion is to make a phrase that you can use instead. Then practice saying that phrase throughout the day and slowly you'll find yourself replacing the phrase you decide to use with the phrase that is automatic. I use phrases like, "Jiminy Cricket!" "fudge sickles!" "Holy Mackeral" "Shucks!" "Good Grief!" They are just as efective to me in releasing pressure as those other words but they don't sting and I don't feel regrets! I can even string them together: "Good Golly Miss Molly, Gosh Durn It All Anyway!" May sound corny but it works for me!

Michwoman

Great advice from Thomas. I had to do the same thing a few years back. I spent a long time working around mostly guys who cussed all day and I picked it up by osmosis. I did exactly what Thomas said to do. Found replacements and practiced them. Even when you swear, say it over again using the replacement. Before too long it will be second nature and the swearing will feel uncomfortable.

Nyima_1.6.13

Yep, mine was the F bomb! Used it as if it was absolutely acceptable but never in front of children! That's why I was shocked into a 'language exchange' program after hearing my teenaged grandson use it like it was the only adjective he knew! He wasn't angry or upset just in a conversation with his friend who was also using what were once considered expletives constantly! I was kind of shocked and decided I couldn't get on him if I used the same language (even though I was still only using it as an expletive)!

My replacement is great because it can be used under any circumstance, angry, tired, frustrated! It is my one and only go to...it is "oof dah"! I don't know if that's how you spell it!?! I learned it from my BFF who picked it up while at college in Minnesota! I believe it has Scandia roots! Try it, it's nice!

Stac2

I like "Fiddle De Dee" from Gone with the Wind.  It is silly but fun!  I also will say "Gosh Darn" or "Doggone".  Hope this helps.  You will get this!  

ladybug49

Wow that it funney I worked in a wall board plant with men for 10 years there was two of us and 85 men. Never thought about it rubbing off OK I am on this 

joyeuxencore

Don't worry GOD can take it...it is YOU God is worried about...I love Nyima's suggestion! I was told that cussung is the height of non-creative communication and that language is such a beautful tool...lok at inspirational quotes or poetry...I think that wanting to be the best we can be is a wonderful side effect of quitting smoking so good for us!!! Just think of all the many creative ways you can EXpress your emotion or expletive circumstance...like the list of 100 things to do instead of smoke...20 things to say instead of cuss...lets think of some and post them...what fun! xo