cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

800 Days!!!!

elvan
3 26 223

Today I have 800 days of freedom.  I certainly struggled at first but, somehow, I had a very strong feeling that this would be my forever quit.  I had surgery in November and had both of my upper lobes of my lungs removed because of advanced emphysema.  They were just “trapping” air and I was always short of breath because there was no space to utilize the air I was inhaling.  I am still short of breath but it is definitely not as severe.  I can walk to my car without needing to stop or gasping for breath once I get there.  I do use oxygen at night but do not need it 24/7, I can handle it at night, the 24/7 would be so restrictive that I don’t even want to think about it.

I had spine xrays and an MRI of my spine done a couple of weeks ago and I was really hoping that there would be some way to slow the acceleration of my degenerative disc disease but there appears to be nothing that can be done to slow it.  I have severe scoliosis with a curvature and now a rotation of my spine, I have recently been experiencing pain that is followed by one leg giving out and the other feeling like someone is pouring ice water on it.  NOT my idea of fun!  In any event, the MRI showed severe arthritis from my neck to my sacrum and the only intervention that is even possible is an epidural into one space that still exists.  My entire lumbar spine has collapsed on itself but there looks to be a tiny space that might be able to be injected to stop the pain and the nerve involvement.  My rheumatologist is looking into getting me into a pain clinic in the next month or so.  The pain has been ridiculous at work, I stand the entire time I am there (6.5 hours) and I am in tears on my way home.  Last week, I had one of my coworkers stuff an icebag into my back brace, it made me look even more crooked than usual but it HELPED.  I may plan on that regularly.

One of my many excuses for smoking was because I was in so much pain…like cigarettes really EVER did anything for the pain.  I can tell you that the pain did not change a bit after I quit, I know now that smoking will not change anything except for your body…and NOT in a good way.  I am so happy to be celebrating 800 days!

My love and thanks to all of you who have helped me in this journey, no matter how many days or months or years that you have.  I could not have come this far without you!

Ellen

26 Comments
Storm.3.1.14

CONGRATULATIONS on your bright, new milestone, Ellen!

Sooooooo incredibly proud of you today!

MarilynH

You are a very precious and strong lady my friend and you are definitely right about smoking not helping anything but in now that we are living a smoke free life we realize that in actuality smoking was actually making things so much worse and actually the cause of so many of our health problems. Sending good thoughts and prayers up for you for strength and healing my friend and a super duper congratulations on your awesome 800 precious DOF and counting WTG. Hip, hip, hooray, whoopee, and yay, yay, yay and yay again. ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

JACKIE1-25-15

God bless you on this 800th day of freedom from nicotine. "Lady Ellen".  You are a shining example of one you takes life on life's terms and deals with it head on an not whining.  May everyday be filled with the hope of recovery and better health.  I believe in miraces. 

Jennifer-Quit

Congratulations on 800 days!  I am just a little over 100 days behind you.  You have truly been an inspiration to me since day one!  Thank you for being there for me!

JonesCarpeDiem

Congratulations and Hugs!

johio

Congratulations on a huge milestone

Christine13

WOW, CONGRATULATIONS on your 800 day quit!!

((((Ellen))))  You are a trooper to get through this when you have so much pain.

Wishing you a healing.

ShawnP

You have been such an inspiration here!!! 

Congratulations on 800 days today!

froguelady

Congratulations on 800 DOF.  You quit and never used an excuse to smoke, you are an inspiration as I know you have gone through some very difficult times in the last couple of years.I am so sorry for your pain, I know a little of how it is since I have arthritis in my spine from top to bottom. 

I wish you a blessed day.  ((HUGS))

TerrieQuit

Hello Ellen! Through all of your struggles, your are still here daily to support and inspire all of us trudging the well light path you leave for us that are behind you! I am grateful for all the help you have given me! You are very special!

Congratulations on 800 days of freedom!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

kristen-9-7-15

Congrats Ellen!!

tjanddj

Congratulations on your 800 days Ellen. You are amazing! Love, Prayers and Hugs.

Thomas3.20.2010

Continued prayers for your pain relief! Sorry you have to suffer so much!

However, your indomitable spirit shines on!

smorgy8513

Can I just say 1 thing to you.......love and respect you Lady!

Sharon

Sootie

Congratulations my dear, dear friend.........you deserve to celebrate and enjoy!

OxfordComa

WoooohoooO!! Way to go!!!!!!!!

Giulia

You are a Champion Ellen.  And not only with your quit.  You spur us all on to rise to a higher level.  Here's to YOU!!!  Happy 800!

Brenda_M

Congratulations, Ellen!!! I love you! I am so happy you are celebrating today!

Strudel

Ellen - Huge congrats on 800 days! Isn't that a beautiful number! 

I am so sorry about the pain you continue to face each day....it hard for me to even imagine! I always keep you in my daily prayers - always! 

Please take care and find a special way to celebrate this milestone! 

NewMe

You are truly amazing. I hope the doctors can do more to ease your pain. So sorry you have to endure that. And thank you so much for all that you do to inspire the rest of us. Whatever your troubles are- you just keep going-like the Energizer Bunny. Wishing you relief from your pain, and sending heartfelt congratulations on your 800 days of freedom. You truly are an inspiration to us all.

Dotgirl_1-28-16
Congratulations on your precious, amazing 800 days of freedom! WTG!!! You are a true inspiration! Thank you so much for all that you do. Prayers that you find relief from your pain.
sparky26

Congratulations Ellen !

joyeuxencore

Ellen that is one heck of a lot of days woman!!!! Whoo Hoo!

Huge congrats. I sure wish I could take you out for a celebration lunch! xo

Lovin_Life

OMG congratulations!!! I just saw..I havenot been on in a few days Awesome!!! Gotta run...work still no cig or nrt 

hugs

jacks1125

Great job ellen 800 wonderful days.. amazing. Keep up the good work !!

Legend

Congratulations on 800 days Wow you are doing Great!!!!

I am very proud of you.

Christine

About the Author
Retired RN, worked ICU/ER developed RA in early 90's, unable to work because of brittle bones from high dose steroids. Diagnosed with COPD 5 yrs ago but sure it was there and progressing long before. Live with severe chronic pain, degenerative disc disease, had both upper lobes of my lungs removed in 2015. Struggle with shortness of breath. Work in son's cafe as a cashier 2 days a week to be around people. I am a people/animal person. Lost my home and three cats in a fire on my ten month anniversary of quitting smoking. Never thought of smoking, knew it wouldn't help anything.