cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

8 days of freedom....from Coke; 220 days of freedom from cigarettes

robertclark302
1 7 25

Today marks my 8th day without Coke, Pepsi, what have you.  I got to say quitting soda maybe even harder than quitting smoking.  I use to drink one on the way into work, another 2-3 at work and then one for the road on my way home.  At home I would probably have several more glasses before falling asleep.  There is no way I would have been able to quit smoking and drinking Coke at the same time.  I would have definitely been curled up in the fetal position with drool on my chin.  However, last year I decided I needed to start living healthier and figured that smoking was way way way worst than drinking Coke so that had to go first.  I  packed on a few more lbs in my and knew that one day I would have to work on that as well.  I even wrote a blog in which I apologized to my older self for putting on the weight and it would be my older self's problem to deal with.  Well, that day is now.  

The new year meant buckling down on all the other unhealthy things in my life.  Its only been 8 days but I do feel better.  My pants have even started to fit a little better as I no longer have to hold my breath to button them.  I can't wait for the ground to freeze so I can do some winter hiking.  Its the best time of year to hike because there is not too many people on the trails and with all the leaves gone you can really see deep into the forest for wildlife.  Ah man, 2017 is going to be great!  No smokes, eatting better, no more Cokes, and hiking; 2017 will be the best year yet!

So if you see me on the trial in the next couple weeks be sure to say hi.  I will be the guy who is not smoking, in a black knit cap, a blue back pack, and a smile on my face.

7 Comments
About the Author
I am on my one millionth attempt at quitting. I have smoked for well over 15 years. A few years ago I developed a few health problems that gave me some concern but not enough to quit. Finally, my wife gave me an ultimatum; her or the cigarettes. I finally got my head out of you know where on June 2, 2016 and have never looked back.