cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

7 hours and counting - I really need help

vicki11
0 12 158

Today is the 1st day of the rest of my life without a cigarette, I woke this morning at 6am I have made it a whole 7 hours whoohooooo….. I am 41 years old and have been smoking from the age of 12 (29 years) and I just don’t want to do it another day, I feel like I am in a love/hate relationship right now I love to smoke-I hate the smell / I love to have a smoke after I eat-I hate the smell / I love to smoke when I am out drinking-I hate the smell  - This list goes on and on and on and on It feels like it is a boyfriend I have been wanting to break up with for year but just couldn’t let go..

I had lymphoma a number of years back am in remission I smoked threw my cancer treatments, because of my choice of treatments I am a high risk of lung cancer add smoking on to that and I am screwed.. My oncologist told me years ago if you don’t stop smoking you will get lung cancer and I probably will not be able to save you!!!

I need help!!!!!!!!!! I need help now!!!! I do not want to die of lung cancer I need help!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions would be great!!!

12 Comments
AutumnWoman

Vicki:  Good for you for choosing to stop smoking.  Now:  Do you have a plan?  Did you pick a method (NRT, Medication, cold turkey)?  It's best to decide how you are going to approach the quit and deal with the cravings so you don't get blindsided and start smoking again.  What are you going to do, other than smoke, when a crave hits?  I recommend that you read the blogs on here so you get and idea of what you'll be up against.  Also, if you're doing this cold turkey, visit www.whyquit.com for information on cold turkey quitting and nicotine addiction.  It is great that you are blogging here --- keep it up!  You do not have to smoke -- you can choose to remain quit. All you have to do is not smoke a day, an hour, a minute at a time.  The longer you forego smoking, the less severe urges will be.  Choose freedom!

james41

Yes we have all felt those feelings of love hate, you are not, I repeat not, giving up anything of importance at all,, it will get easier.. I wanted to breathe,, the above comment lets you know how to get it all going, I'll add read Allen Carrs book The Easy Way as I do all beginners, it's a theory that you don't have to be miserable and not smoke,, it worked for me,, time for talking to yourself and seeing other ways of thinking is now upon you , please consider others ideas,, read here everyday. We'll be here for you every step of the way. If an oldie, I call 6mo's to a year an oldie, right or wrong, ,, listen that got that far for some reason they may know a little sumpim , sumpin! HA! A big ole welcome to ya!! I smoked 2 packs a day for 36 years.

Thanks for your insightful blog

James

nosmokegirl

Hang in there you can do it.  Drink lots of water like the plan suggests.   You don't want to have to start counting the hours again.  You already have the process of quitting going now.  Everytime you want one, move out of the room you are in and breathe.  Then go get a drink of water. Open the door to outside.  How does the air feel?  Can you smell the fresh air?  Take a deep breath.  You maybe disoriented and looking for something. You may feel light headed from your lungs taking in more oxygen.  What a cool feeling.  Have a seat outside and close your eyes. Damn this smells great and feels great. Stretch a little bit.  What an awesome feeling.  Wow! I feel better now.  What was i doing out here again? ha ha

i_can_do_this

First and formost, congratulations on deciding to prolong your life! Stay strong! In seven hours your body has really only had one or two chemical craves, and those only lasted about 3 minutes. The rest of the time you are psyching yourself out. Don't do this to yourself. Find SOMETHING to occupy yourself with. If you sit there and think about the fact that you are not smoking, what do you think you are doing to want to do even more? Suggestions for thing to do to get your mind off smoking: read a book, dive into your work, go shopping, visit a non-smoker friend, go to a movie, etc. Avoid situations that you would likely have smoked at before, ie don't go to a bar, don't visit a smoker friend. Every thing you do will occupy your body and mind, and before you know it, 72 of those hours wil have past and the nicotine will be out of your system!!! It is perfectly acceptable to count the hours the first day or two, soon you will be counting days, weeks, months, years. Go find out all you can about what your body is going through as you rid yourself of nicotine.  You can do this, we are here with you!!!!

vicki11

WOW!!!

Thank you all for your sharing your wisdom. I have to admit I thought I was about to loose my mind LOOL - yes over a cigg how silly that sound to me now. J I have never blogged before and it is really great to see all of the support this site has to offer. You guys have helped me through a very dark hour…

I have quit cold turkey and have absolutely no plan – Actually I didn’t plan on quitting this morning it is something just just happened if that makes any sense.

Live4thedash

I think all of the advice above is good and recomend following it. The only other thing I can recomend is you're on a roll.....hence 7 hours and couning' my only suggestion would be don't worry about tomorrow or hours to come and go...only worry about your next hour and promise not to smoke during that hour....after a while it will get easier...one hour, then one day at a time!

JoAnne5-14-2008

Vickie you've already made a big step.  Today you have decided that you want to live and not die.  Things can be turned around for your good.  Pray and  believe that they will.  Get rid of anything that reminds you of smoking in your house, car, etc.  You have to come up with a plan that will enable you to have a successful and not a stressful quit.  When you are hit with a craving, get up and start moving, it will pass.  Then you'll have that time behind you.  I know you can do it and stick with it no matter what.  You will become and EX!!!!

shihenv2

I am glad you made this step in becoming a NON -SMOKER. I just quit yesterday so i am on my 35th hour without a cigarette. Just have faith in yourself and use this website alot. I honestly have to say if it wasnt for this website i think i will be sparking up right now. when you feel the urge to smoke just go on a nice little stroll outside and drink water. I wish you the best and feel free to add me as a friend. we can support each other in these hard times of the nicotine monster....

jackieraye

This is something that most people won't consider good advice, but it sure helped me to go to bed and just cover my head off and on for a couple of days. I dreaded having to get up, because that just meant I can't have the tons of cigarettes I smoke when I got up, but it was heartening when it got better each time. What can I say, I believe in the healing power of sleep.

And if you have to blog every hour until the monster starts nibbling as opposed to biting your head off, do it. It really helps a lot. (I'm into Day Six.) Tomorrow or so, you'll discover that you can breathe better. It's a great feeling to have some quick pay-off.

Good for you and your seven hours. Even more hours by the time I'm writing this!

Bonnie11.3.2009

You have gotten excellent advice from everyone.  I can only add to go the members link and find hwc.  His page has lots of links to excellent information that has inspired and motivated many of us.  Mostly the info fuels our NOPE-not one puff ever-one day at a time.  One of the links tells you what to expect for the first 3 days.  Keep blogging, we want to know how you're doing!  We're here for you.

vicki11

I am doing it, I am really really doing it!!!!!

Sheryl, james, nosmokegirl , i_can_do_this , Live4thedash , JoAnne , shihenv2 , jackieraye , Bonnie

In my time of need today you guys have been here for me just the mare fact that I have people that know what I am going through and care enough that they would write with insiration and things that would help me get through my time of need  is heart felt to me.. I wil always remember my day today - where I have come from/who helped me get here/ and where I am going...

Thank you ALL!!!!!!

Please don't forget about me...

onelasttime

Vicki, you have made the right choice in decidinh to quit. Your life is much more important and good health leads to a good life. It doesn't matter that you didn't plan on stopping today alot of people on here never had a plan but they are doing it anyway. You have the strength in you, you just have to reach way down in there and pull all you have out and win this battle over this addiction you will I believe....now you believe...Deb