cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

6 Days to go until my quit date and I am scared to death....of failure again

haliaesgram714
0 3 13

My quit date is set for February 3rd. I joined this site on New Years Eve, but have no clue where my info went, annyway it is only 6 days away and I am scared to death of failing at this again. I have tried several times to quit. I tried the patches, the gym, the lozenges and cold turkey...usually after being sick with a cold. Always picked up a cig and went right back to the beginning of where I left off.

The reason I am scared may sound stupid, but I lost 235 lbs within the last 1 1/2 yrs and used the cigs to help cut the cravings, hunger and need for something in my mouth. Now, I am on my diet again to lose the last 90 lbs because I found out my knees are in bad shape and I want to do everything possible to avoid surgery as well as the fact that once I lose the weight, my dr will sign the papers for the surgery for the excess skin removal and I will finally look good like I have wanted to all my life since I have aleways been heavy (good ole heredity). After I lose the weight they will try fluid injections to see if that helps then there will be no choice but surgery but I know I would have done everything I could to avoid it. Heck, I am only 48 and have so much physical pain. I do not want to go back to using food in place of cigarettes. It has been suggested to use straws, sugar free lollipops, etc. to help but my willpower for giving up the cigs has not been the best in the past. Can not figure out why I could give up food and not cigs.

Also, I am nervous about breaking the habits, smoking by the pc (which now I make myself get up to smoke), getting in the car and lighting up as soon as i get in even if I just had a cig, lighting up as soon as I get out of a building, even if the need for a cig is not there. My smoking is becomming more of a habit so it seems, but when I try to quit I get headaches, stomaches, etc. So I am very scared about this all. Being on a diet and quitting smoking all at once. ALSO, THOSE COMMERCIALS ARE GETTING TO ME AND MY EYESIGHT IS GETTING WORSE AND NOW CANT HELP THINKING I AM MAKING MYSELF BLIND OR THE ONE ABOUT THE STROKE....I AM TOO YOUNG TO DIE. I WANT TO TRAVEL AND LIVE LIFE. PLEASE HELP!

Any suggestions? I really want to succeed this time in both aspects of my goals.

3 Comments