cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

50 Days

travelingman.rick
0 8 440

Today marks fifty days for me without a cigarette. I want to tell you that it gets easier every day, and some days that feels true. I have resisted working on projects around the house since I quit smoking because I knew that it would raise some serious triggers for me. Projects for me always included cigarettes, it was my way of setting a short term goal and rewarding myself like some kind of show dog when I attained the goal I set for myself.

I learned a very long time ago to give myself my own attaboy’s and pat myself on the back. At work I rarely expect to be commended for achieving a certain goal. Cigarettes were always my reward. Slowly I am relearning how to adjust to this new found life that I am living in without cigarettes. I have to admit though this weekend was pretty rough on me. I wanted a cigarette so badly because for so many years it was my way of telling my self good job Rick, you got something accomplished.

It probably sounds totally crazy but for most of my life I have lived my life thinking that the cigarettes were a reward for a job well done. Now the hard part is undoing 32 years of lies to my self. When I thought I was giving myself a reward I was damaging my health, my heart, my lungs and it was all a lie. I am now being forced to find other ways to tell myself that I did a good job. I actually have to say it to myself out loud. It is weird because I know why I want the cigarette and I know what is causing the trigger. Just getting beyond that though is a tough one.

On some level I feel like the last 32 years were actually a lie, and I think that is what hurts my heart the most, that I lied to myself for so long and that I convinced myself that with cigarettes that I didn’t need approval from another human being as long as I had the smokes, I mean seriously how messed up is that? It was a tough weekend but getting here where I am today and realizing the lies that I told myself is teaching me a lot about myself. I got to 50 days because for 49 days I stopped listening to the lies in my head and told the truth to myself. It makes me proud of myself, and brings me to actual tears as I type this.

There is no turning back this time, I will not give in to the lies or the temptation. I will not smoke today folks, I may fall off the wagon tomorrow, but not today. I am not a show dog anymore!

8 Comments
lucky5

thank you , i loved all of this have a good day!

anacondahead

50 days is fantastic, rick, and you should be very proud of yourself. I feel the same way because I smoked for 31 years - and never gave it a second thought. I feel so stupid for doing that. I quit 224 days ago. I hope I quit in time.

Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt post!

Now if you can only get the dog to quit smoking.................

onelasttime

Loved your blog Rick it brought tears to my eyes too. I know what you mean about all the lies you tell to yourself I just wish we could have realized it sooner but I guess later is better than never. Just let me know I will give you a atta boy when ever you need it. I know what a hard process this is and we deserve it. Have a great day We really are worth a better life. 

JACKIE38

thanks for a great blog, and you are spot on. have a great day    jackie

dawn37

You are 50 days deep already; you are a pro now.  You have gone 1200 hours without a cigarette         …1200 hours.  I know that is a lot of cigarettes NOT smoked.  How many?

We all have vulnerable times and when those occur we have to focus on the positives.  There must be something positive about not smoking anymore.  I know you are doing good Rick just because you are not smoking. I hope you do better & it gets easier for you.  It is stressful to think about what you THINK you are missing.  Keep it going Rick…Stay Strong…you can do it!!

(And quit your whining buddy!!  😉  you do know that is just a verbal slap to try to wake you up, right?)

travelingman.rick

Thanks for the great comments everybody. Dawn that would be about 2000 cigarettes at 2 pks a day. I think I just got sent off on a tangent because I was working on projects around the house and I wanted an attaboy and it made me irritable when I couldn't get it.

I am just going to have to focus on new ways to take care of myself when I am in a situation like that. I am doing that at work and in the car two of my worst places when I used to smoke. I get through the car pretty easy now, and even the office time is not so bad anymore. Boy it sure grabed ahold of me this weekend though and it was a tough one.

Thank goodness I am back to work today and not nearly so grumpy.

dawn37

Hey Rick... you deserve to be whatever way you want! If it keeps you from smoking..then do it no one should care!  I just don't want you to give in especially because you are doing so well!! Keep it up my friend..you are doing awesome. Stay Strong!

Yaya2.6.10
Thanks for your blog. I thought I knew my triggers and have been successful in recognizing them and not smoking for more than 2 weeks. Your writings made me realize that I also used cigarettes as a reward. Don't know why I didn't realize that, but thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've felt something was missing and I am getting tired of turning off the triggers. Thinking of the reward concept gives me new ammunition in the fight.