cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

5 years & going strong

jojo29
0 23 294

Good morning everyone here at ex 🙂  I wanted to stop in last night from my phone but it wouldnt let me so here im today 🙂 So hows it going out there, Yesterday at 130 pm I made 5 yrs smoke free & when i sit and think how i couldnt go threw 5 min to 5 hrs without smoking & look at me now , Its a great feeling & I did it right here with the help of so many people, If I name them all ill be here all day &  they all know who they are 🙂 well I ended up with stage 4 copd/emphysema & had a lung function of 12-14%  I was on oxygen 24/7  I was really struggling to breathe , I couldnt walk to much and near the end i was taking 3 steps stop 3 more stop , it was horrible for someone 52 yrs old , Just to let you guys know , i was diagnosed at 35 with beggiing of copd , so dont think bc you are young it cant happen to you, All smoking related diseases do not discriminate ,trust me! copd will never dissapear it will onlyu get worse esp if you continue to smoke! ( like me )  But at 54 I ended up with a yr maybe to live ,it was march of 2012 that i was told that while in icu , I made the transplant list , i was all of 91 pounds maybe 93  not much difference , In june of 2012 I recieved my gift of life , a left lung & my lung function wemnt from 12-14 to 75% 🙂  right now its 62 because of a few bumps in the road but thats ok I can breathe now and im living my life like theres no tomorrow 🙂 Iam back to work to , anyway learn all you need to know about smoking & quitting and never let anyone tell you it cant be dont,( misery loves company)  you can do this .. set rules for yourself & follow them all, pep talks to your self , I uded to talk to myself all the time , Use a straw for that hand to ,mouth thingy ,walk brush your teeth 100 times lmao !!   Always be postive about your quit , if you are negitive you will have negitive sucsess .. its all in your mind ,how you think.. Know your worth & live life bc we only get one 🙂 well in my case 2  LMAO  No but all kidding aside ,transplant is no joke , people think your cured , your not , but it beat the odds so im all good . this month is lung cancer & copd aweness month , its a great time to quit smoking 🙂  pick a date and go with it .. I now have a grandson i travel I do the transplant games of america & compete, last yr i took home 4 medals ,and i won one for the longest jump ,lol I jumped over 5 feet , Me  holy canoli  LMAO  life is good everyone and hope to see you guys smoke free  🙂 I tell every one to keep trying , try and try again bc you never know what quit will be your last , so go for it & make life wonderful , when i die , im gona have a smile on my face bc im truly thankful for my life my smobrity & I count my blessings everyday .. I smoked over 40 yrs & im 5 yrs quit ( smoba )  HA LMAO !! Have a great day guys !!

23 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

YOU ARE MY HERO! And My Great Friend! So glad you celebrated with us! Now we almost match - my FEV1% is 62 also - but you got yours the hard way! I'm soooo proud of you! 

jojo29

Hey  my buddy  ..love the flowers  thank you ❤️  of course I would come here  this is where it all began 🙂   62% thomas , less colds the better for you !  please take it easy ❤️

TerrieQuit

Congratulations on 5 year smober jojo! That is a huge accomplishment!

Terrie  119  DOF

Christine13

JoJo, I can hardly fathom what you went thru!!  5 years is amazing!!  So very glad you are now able to do things again.

Pure incentive for me to stay quit.

Magstoyou

Congratulations on 5 yrs JoJo

What a milestone, WTG

Mag839DOF

Giulia

You're an inspiration to so many of us here Jojo.  Thank you for setting the example you do.  May You Live Long and Prosper!  Happy 5th.

froguelady

jojo, it is so good to see you. I am glad you are doing well, I think about you often. You inspired me in the early days of my quit and continue to do so. Big, big HUGS.

Jennifer-Quit

You are my inspiration!  I do not know how anyone could read your touching story and continue to smoke - Congratulations on 5 years!

JonesCarpeDiem

Lungderful to see you!

joedice711

very touching jojo.you and so many others are serving a lot of us with such a purpose to stay quit. i,m getting an education on smoking dangers..though i knew everything..i know nothing. 22 days smoke free

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 5 years and thank you very much for sharing part of your journey with us.  I am, sure your blog is making a difference.  It has for me never to give up.

Legend

Great Job!!!!

Congratulations on your 5 years WOOHOOOO!!!!!!

YoungAtHeart

Slo good to hear how well you are doing!

And, good to see you!

Nancy

Rick_M

Hey there you are....Good to see ya here on EX Joanne. WTG 5 whole years, what a journey for you. I remember when you joined and I sure am glad I been with ya for the ride. You rock hunny.....

Sootie

Hey girlfriend----soooooooooooooooooo good to see you here. Glad you dropped in for your anniversary!!! 

CONGRATULATIONS and MANY, MANY MORE!!!!!!!!

elvan

Congratulations and thank you for your inspiring blog.  I really needed this right now, I am scheduled for lung volume reduction surgery in two weeks and I am terrified.  You are ROCKING this transplant and your recovery.  Thank you so much for sharing this.

summer-07-06-15

CONGRATULATIONS ON 5 YEARS

Congratulations For Your Success

freeneasy

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. You're living proof every day is precious and smoke free is the way to be!

Patty-cake

Congrats Jo Jo! 

I remember when you got your lung transplant. I had just quit 6/8/12 and things were going a bit rough for you right after surgery.

I'm so happy you are enjoying your life. I love your optimism.

🙂

Ladybug--7-3-12

Congrats on FIVE (5) years smoke free (& counting)! 

Awesome message for those struggling with their quits to hear.  Life CAN & DOES get better with gratitude & a positive outlook kept front & center (regardless of our actual circumstances).  For a smoker it DOES all begin with STOPPING SMOKING.

Keep on strutting .... and breathing free .... .     

Patty  

Strudel

So great to see you Jojo! Wonderful and powerful blog! Congrats to you on 5 years!! 

bonniebee

Congrats JoJo I love your story you are a champion ! You really rocked your quit and are still rocking !

I love all your advice and I believe it to be so true, the positive thinking and self talk is so important ! I smoked for 52 years I don't know why I am not sicker for having smoked so many years but who knows I could find out down the line that I have COPD or worse so to all of you younger smokers and quitters ....quit now while you are still healthy. The body has amazing healing abilities. Our Creator really did an amazing job so why do we want to harm what He has created for us !

The other thing you said JoJo that I think is so very important is to keep trying never give up I tried at least 5 times before I reached this quit which I am hoping is my forever quit ! I have 268 days of freedom and hope to someday reach 5 years like you JoJo !

Congrats on your 5 year anniversary !

joyeuxencore

Congratulations you walking breathing living amazing inspiration of a woman!!! I just celebrated 3 years and am so grateful you came before me and showed me the way...You have overcome SO much and not only overcomed it but SHINE so brightly! Hope you celebrated accordingly!!! xo