cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

5 days and I need a name for the imp that’s lurking today.

Wozlik
8 17 273

So grateful to be here with 5 days down.  Things have gone pretty much as I have learned to expect from all the practice quits I’ve been doing.  I noticed while I was posting on the moving forum, a tiny, tiny, niggling voice throwing out a vague thought - like a fly cast by an expert fisherman.  It barely made a ripple, but it caught my attention. “Not good enough.”  Don’t know what it was referring to.  Probably nothing in particular.  Just something that is always with me and I don’t notice until something bigger happens and I do something stupid. It might be smoking, or eating too many cookies or not doing something I want.  So now that I’ve noticed so early, how do I counteract quickly before it has a chance to get some traction?

I decided I was going to sing, @Maki’s suggestion.  One of my favorite songs is “If you want to sing out, sing out” by Cat Steven’s from the movie Harold and Maude.  But I couldn’t really remember what it was or what the movie was. Conundrum!  And the realization that I have a lot of choices in that moment when I breathe and give myself a minute.  The default is something negative - I’m stupid, foolish, untrustworthy, worthless.  I have well worn paths down those places.  I am comfortable going there.  But not as comfortable as I used to be.  There’s a new little glimmer of something that says “Those thoughts are not true. You are more than those negative things.  You are learning and growing and brave. You are ok!”

so I went to you tube and put in the words I remembered “a million things to do cat Stevens” and up popped a bunch of hits.  The song is called “If you want to sing out, sing out” and they even had the lyrics!  So I’m croaking along to this today, https://youtu.be/uznWBjFrF9M?si=ZXLinS7BdUIC4Z5V and feeling hopeful.  

and if you want to sing out, sing out

and if you want to be free, be free

’cause there’s a million things to be

You know that there are”

i don’t know what those million things are. I usually have tunnel vision and turn to hopelessness.  However I’m learning that I can change.  I can look for other options and opportunities.  Even when I’d rather not - whether that’s from fear, or old thought patterns or laziness or insanity.  
“You can do what you want

The opportunity’s on

And if you find a new way

You can do it today

You can make it all true”

It’s pretty wonderful that I can learn new ways of seeing and doing.  It’s wonderful to have a support group available to encourage me, give me advice and ideas, hold my hand or kick me in the behind.  I have the choice of using the tools I have and getting new ones.  It’s a process.  Mistakes and missteps happen.  They are usually not the end of the world.  Just a chance to try again.  To find a new way.  Not to wallow in old stinking thinking, but do it today. 
and that makes me think about that Louis Armstrong song about babies and watching them grow - so back to YouTube!

17 Comments
About the Author
My avatar shows me eating honey my grandson’s bees make. I’m 75 year (someone told me I’m only 71 - someone can do the math born 11/08/1952) old with 60 year smoking habit. Grandmother to 14 amazing humans and soon to be a great grandmother. Six wonderful children who deserve to have a mom who doesn’t smoke and stays as healthy as possible for as long as possible. I’ve lived urban, suburban and rural places. Worked at many jobs from plastic injection molding and waiting tables to teaching and journal editing. Retired, divorced, long Covid. Looking for what the next universe has in store for me next.