cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

5 YEARS: Refuse To Lose!

Storm.3.1.14
5 36 450

I had eight failed quits under my belt by the time I signed up at EX. Eight. I didn't know how in the world I was going to win against smoking this time around, but I sure knew how I was going to fail. After all, I was already an expert at sabotaging myself. I was a master at caving in.

But, wait...what if knowing how you're your own worst enemy is actually a valuable asset? On our way to learning how to win, what if we also simply refused to lose - yet again?!

I could win by refusing to lose!

If I first refused to take a single puff ever again, then I could focus on learning how to work my way through anything and everything else that happened - by any means necessary!

"Whoa, wait. Anything? Everything? Come on, now."

Yes. Anything.

Think about these potent triggers we face: isolation, anger, loneliness, disappointment, fatigue, stress, anxiety, boredom, sadness, sickness, depression. Guilt trips, peer pressure. Arguments, break-ups. Tough-talking bullies, crazy drivers, misfit coworkers, pushy friends, unsupportive family members. No matter how nerve-wracking the situation, no matter how obnoxious the antagonist, everything can be handled and managed - in so many smart ways! - if you also just dig in your heels, use your head and heart, and refuse to lose!

So, from this day on, I'm asking you to refuse to lose. I'm asking you to let this program and community train you how to refuse to repeat every heartbreaking failure that brought you here in the first place.

You...can...win...this...thing!

You just have to refuse to lose.

Storm

5 Years

36 Comments
Ladybug--7-3-12

Congrats on 5 Years of Smobriety (& counting UP)!  

I remember back when … always happy to see a winner.  Keep enjoying your Freedom AND learning & growing!

refuse to lose.pngYou done did it!                  Patty 

Jennifer-Quit

CONGRATULATIONS!

Storm.3.1.14

PATTY!!!!

Thank you so much for being here! My celebration wouldn't be the same without one of my most valued Mentors.

To this day, I am grateful for you, and for our many private conversations about mindfulness and cognitive quitting.

You're the best!

(Okay, I gotta go Google that pledge. Hand to Heaven, I don't know what that is...)

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you, Jennifer! 

You're right behind me!

MarilynH

CONGRATULATIONS Storm .

13addd5b4120e71639ca3e90ab6cd140.jpg

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you, Marilyn!

elvan

Storm, 

I am SO HAPPY for you, I remember when you first came here and I actually worried about you, I mean I was such an old pro with 40 days of freedom behind me.  You wrote these eloquent blogs and I was so afraid that you were going to come crashing down.  I cannot begin to tell you how glad I am that I was wrong.  

CONGRATULATIONS,

Love,

Ellen

Storm.3.1.14

I remember, too, Ellen. Even back then, I just knew that, for the first time in my life, I was willing to accept anything required of me. I was actually excited for the challenge!

And that's what I did. And what I still am.

Thank you, my dearest friend, for being THE most constant and consistent force of support in my quit - online and off! I sure struck it rich when I joined your class, Ellen!

Thank you!

(Oh, I'll be texting you a photo later today, and more photos all throughout next week.)

elvan

OMG, didn't you call me Mama Quit?  HAHAHA.  I am honored to have been your most constant support, seriously honored!

Sootie

Congratulations Storm.

Storm.3.1.14

Ohmigosh, that's right! "Mama Quit"! 

Naturally, I had to do all my own work, but you made sure I was never alone. (Seriously, for almost 2,000 days now, we've been there for each other. What a powerful blessing!)

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you so much, Sootie!

sweetplt

Congratulations on 5 years...Thank you for inspiring...~ Colleen 

Storm.3.1.14

You're very welcome, Colleen!

And thank you!

Thomas3.20.2010

WOW! Time sure goes fast when you're having Fun! Thank You for so many Great and Inspiring Blogs along the way, Storm! A Special Congrats on 5 Years of Freedom! Keep stacking those years!

Legend

WOOOHOOO!!!

Congratulations on 5 years I am very proud of you.  I am glad you finally made a permanent commitment to yourself to make your quit work this time.  That’s a good way to look at your quit refuse to lose I like that.  It’s good to see you going strong and teaching others how you did it.  

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you for coming to my celebration, Thomas! You greeted me the day I signed up, you were with me on my Day One, and you've always been accessible to me every single day since then, if I needed.

Thank you!

Storm.3.1.14

Awww, thanks, Christine!

"Permanent commitment": I like that! Finally got it through my head!

I admit I don't "teach" as frequently as I used to, but I do notice that this new JIVE platform tells me how many views my contributions receive. A recent blog was seen 58 times! I hope it made a difference to several of those people.

Glad you dropped by to see me, my friend. Thank you! 

Strudel

“Refuse to lose” - love it! CONGRATS to you Storm on 5 years! 

Giulia

I always think of you on this day because we share a quit on it.  You're blogs have always been so interesting and insightful.  I'd love to know what your special "token" is for your five year quit, if you'd care to share it.  Kudos Storm.  Keep paddling those bayous!

kayak kayaking GIF                                            Image result for 5

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you so much, Kathy! You've been such a guiding presence in my quit since Day One, and I'm grateful for you!

Storm.3.1.14

Giulia, you impressed upon me that March 1st was not to be trifled with. You said if I respected that date - always! - that it would forever remain one of the most important.

I took it to heart. So, here I am at 5, and here you are at 13.

March One, baby!

(I'll message you a photo of my 5-Year trophy...)

Barbscloud

Sorry I'm a bit late, but big congrats on 5 years.  You "elders" make it possible for us to succeed.

Barb

indingrl

CONGRATS 5 YEARS STORM GOOD JOB!

Storm.3.1.14

Thanks, Barb!

We did it, and you can, too.

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you so much! 

Always good to see your light here in my comments!

Bree19

Congratulations!  A magical 5 years smoke free.

Hugs and Blessings

Bree

Storm.3.1.14

swilson2

So happy for you Storm you have done a great job as we all know how hard it is too quit.

NewMe

I just saw this post, and  wanted to congratulate you on your awesome 5 year anniversary. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you again. When I was first starting out, there were quite a few people who were vocal supporters in the comments section of the blogs that were a great help. Then, there was a small handful of people who were such eloquent bloggers, they led the way by giving  advice that was heartfelt, sometimes hard hitting, and seriously mind alteringly great wisdom. You were one of those bloggers. Your words of wisdom and inspiration led the way for me and many others to find freedom from addiction, often at times when I was tempted to give up. So thank you, and congratulations again!!! (I recently celebrated 3 1/2 years quit, and feel  I could not have succeeded without the support I found here).

Storm.3.1.14

From the bottom of my heart NewMe‌, I am incredibly grateful we were both at the right place at the same time. Knowing that my thinking out loud brought a fresh perspective - well, that's what I intended. I tackled my quit from angles that resonated relevance to me, and it rang a bell with you, too. That's exactly what I had hoped for!

I'll see you in August for YOUR Big 4!!!!

KMC56

Congrats Storm, I as well could not be when I am because of this site, and successful supporters like yourself!  

You're definitely a winner Storm!!

~Kathy 1074 DOF

amiray39

Cingratulations on your win! I can't see 5 years ahead but I can definitely see refusing to lose. 

shashort

Hey Storm!! Glad to see you here.  Although I am late happy 5 year quitadversary!  Way to go.  Thank you for all the support you gave me through my journey. Hugs to ya Storm

Storm.3.1.14

And that's all we can ask of you, amiray39! Just don't lose THIS day!

Storm.3.1.14

Thank you, Kathy!

Storm.3.1.14

Thanks, Sharon!

And you are very welcome!